Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any Mario Lemieux OPC RC experts here? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294717)

irv 01-12-2021 05:55 PM

Any Mario Lemieux OPC RC experts here?

3 Attachment(s)
While on a vintage hockey card site on face book, someone posted a RC of Mario that was quickly thought/proven to be fake so I posted and asked about mine as it is raw and was purchased raw.

I posted pics of the card, front and back, as well as a zoomed in scan of the Penguin but according the person who was offering help, he said the zoomed in pic wasn't good enough?

I've read a few articles and "I think" mine is good but I'd really like to know for sure if anyone here can tell me that, if possible? In all honesty, when I purchased this card, naively, Mario's weren't very expensive so I didn't think anyone had faked any. Dumb, I know. :o

My eyes aren't as good as they once were, even with glasses on but I do need to acquire a loupe, no doubt about it.

cardsagain74 01-12-2021 07:39 PM

If you don't get a loupe soon, I'm going to send a carrier pigeon to Canada with one (and instructions for him to peck you mercilessly)

Throttlesteer 01-12-2021 10:47 PM

I would need higher res scans to tell for sure. But I think it's good.

jb217676 01-12-2021 11:34 PM

Looks good Dale, I wouldn't be concerned!

irv 01-13-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsagain74 (Post 2055315)
If you don't get a loupe soon, I'm going to send a carrier pigeon to Canada with one (and instructions for him to peck you mercilessly)

LoL :D I hear ya, John.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2055395)
I would need higher res scans to tell for sure. But I think it's good.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb217676 (Post 2055407)
Looks good Dale, I wouldn't be concerned!

Thanks Jeff.

Good to hear! :)

Eric72 01-13-2021 07:21 PM

Looks good, from what I can see.

If you have a high-res scan, PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can take a close look at the fine details for you.

irv 01-14-2021 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2055726)
Looks good, from what I can see.

If you have a high-res scan, PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can take a close look at the fine details for you.

Thanks for the offer, Eric. I just finished rescanning the penguin and card at 600 and 1200 DPI so these scans should be much better?

I'm not trying to influence your opinion, but after looking at these new scans, and comparing to what I seen in an article yesterday, I am 99.9% sure my Mario is good.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ux-rookie-pics

Eric72 01-14-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2055875)
Thanks for the offer, Eric. I just finished rescanning the penguin and card at 600 and 1200 DPI so these scans should be much better?

I'm not trying to influence your opinion, but after looking at these new scans, and comparing to what I seen in an article yesterday, I am 99.9% sure my Mario is good.
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...ux-rookie-pics

Positively Perfect Penguin!

Looks good, sir.

Throttlesteer 01-14-2021 04:56 PM

Yep, you're looking at the right stuff. Le Magnifique!

irv 01-14-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2055911)
Positively Perfect Penguin!

Looks good, sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2055961)
Yep, you're looking at the right stuff. Le Magnifique!

Thanks guys!

Good to know. :)

strohman99 01-15-2021 04:38 PM

I'm no expert, but I was thinking it looked good myself.
Looks to be in nice shape too. I would get it graded with the way the prices have been going.

irv 01-15-2021 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohman99 (Post 2056326)
I'm no expert, but I was thinking it looked good myself.
Looks to be in nice shape too. I would get it graded with the way the prices have been going.

Thanks. :)

Condition wise, it is in great shape but the tilt/OC part of it would definitely hurt it when it came to a solid high grade.

Guessing, I'd put it in the 6-7 range but I may be overrating it?
A slightly better scan which shows the tilt/OC better.

Throttlesteer 01-15-2021 06:57 PM

I would put it at Ex-Mt with the centering and cut. It could do better if youre willing to accept qualifiers

Tomi 01-17-2021 09:36 PM

Are you guys watching the PWCC Lemieux OPC PSA 10? Over $50K already with a little over a week to go. Man do I regret not buying when these were cheap. Great for the hobby.

irv 01-18-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 2057188)
Are you guys watching the PWCC Lemieux OPC PSA 10? Over $50K already with a little over a week to go. Man do I regret not buying when these were cheap. Great for the hobby.

I came across it last night and decided to check it out when it was sitting at $40k. After looking at, I clicked back and seen it had already jumped to $45k in the 30 seconds I took checking it out! :eek:

Real interested to see where this one ends.

mintacular 01-21-2021 06:32 AM

Great Card

Great card, looks good. Seems to be a 7, and you should grade it from a financial standpoint

irv 01-21-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 2058283)
Great card, looks good. Seems to be a 7, and you should grade it from a financial standpoint

Thank you!

I agree, I should get it graded, and just might, but I believe, instead of sending it to SGC, PSA or Beckett stateside, I may use a newer company up here called MNT grading?
They are not far from me and it would be much cheaper. CDN dollar with no exchange rate, cheaper CDN shipping fees and no cross border mailing risks. I've been doing some research and looking at some of their slabbed cards and so far, I like what I see.
If and when this covid thing ends, I may just delivery my cards to them in person rather than risk any type of shipping problems? I could also pick them up when they were finished which would also make me feel a lot better too.
Currently, I likely have around 30+ cards I'd like to get graded so it just makes sense to me. Their popularity is also gaining traction so that is a plus as well.
https://mntgrading.com/

Throttlesteer 01-22-2021 12:06 PM

Stay away from graders other than PSA, SGC, or BGS. Unless all you care about is getting it slabbed. Its worth spending a few extra bucks and waiting for an OPC Lemieux rookie. Mint graded cards have been pretty inconsistent and will never sell for a fraction of the big 3.

irv 01-23-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2058823)
Stay away from graders other than PSA, SGC, or BGS. Unless all you care about is getting it slabbed. Its worth spending a few extra bucks and waiting for an OPC Lemieux rookie. Mint graded cards have been pretty inconsistent and will never sell for a fraction of the big 3.

I know there is a very slim chance that MNT will ever be highly regarded as the big 3, but, from what I have seen so far, I think they are a pretty legit company.
I've read some reviews on a couple other forums and the majority is fairly positive with quite a few also saying they are going to try/use them soon.

What stories have you read/heard about them being inconsistent?

Throttlesteer 01-23-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2059111)
I know there is a very slim chance that MNT will ever be highly regarded as the big 3, but, from what I have seen so far, I think they are a pretty legit company.
I've read some reviews on a couple other forums and the majority is fairly positive with quite a few also saying they are going to try/use them soon.

What stories have you read/heard about them being inconsistent?

Outside of the grading being a little soft for the grade, the perception is they aren't very knowledgeable in the vintage space. Most of their submissions are modern. Keep in mind, if you aren't planning on keeping the cards forever, you're better off only grading them once. MNT may take off at some point. But. I would hate to have to crack a card out and resubmit to another TPG just so I can get fair value for my stuff. It also risks damaging the card to do so

The big three certainly have their own challenges. But I would stick with them if it were my Lemieux. I would be more inclined to try them on modern stuff I was planning to keep.

Eric72 01-23-2021 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2058354)
Thank you!

I agree, I should get it graded, and just might, but I believe, instead of sending it to SGC, PSA or Beckett stateside, I may use a newer company up here called MNT grading?
They are not far from me and it would be much cheaper. CDN dollar with no exchange rate, cheaper CDN shipping fees and no cross border mailing risks. I've been doing some research and looking at some of their slabbed cards and so far, I like what I see.
If and when this covid thing ends, I may just delivery my cards to them in person rather than risk any type of shipping problems? I could also pick them up when they were finished which would also make me feel a lot better too.
Currently, I likely have around 30+ cards I'd like to get graded so it just makes sense to me. Their popularity is also gaining traction so that is a plus as well.
https://mntgrading.com/

Isn't KSA a solid option? (asking, not telling)

irv 01-24-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2059256)
Outside of the grading being a little soft for the grade, the perception is they aren't very knowledgeable in the vintage space. Most of their submissions are modern. Keep in mind, if you aren't planning on keeping the cards forever, you're better off only grading them once. MNT may take off at some point. But. I would hate to have to crack a card out and resubmit to another TPG just so I can get fair value for my stuff. It also risks damaging the card to do so

The big three certainly have their own challenges. But I would stick with them if it were my Lemieux. I would be more inclined to try them on modern stuff I was planning to keep.

I hear ya but being up here in Canada, I am at a disadvantage due to the exchange rate and shipping across the border. Shipping is something that has always concerned me, especially with some of my 52 Topps cards. Not that I am necessarily going to have MNT grade my 52's, but it is a possibility? My thoughts were to get some of my modern hockey graded to see how they do then go from there. I've been kicking around this idea about getting my cards graded for 5 yrs now, so don't take it to the bank that I necessarily will. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2059477)
Isn't KSA a solid option? (asking, not telling)

There are so many stories, both good and bad, about KSA it is hard to make up my mind. I have heard the new guy, Nate, is real good, but with their previous rep, I am not sure if that rep will ever be erased? MNT is closer to me as well, and like I mentioned above about dropping my cards off directly, MNT just makes the most sense to me at this point.

Tomi 01-24-2021 07:43 PM

PWCC Lemieux at $80K right now. Wow.

irv 01-25-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomi (Post 2059905)
PWCC Lemieux at $80K right now. Wow.

Is it going to crack a $100k? I'm not betting against it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-O-Pee-...A/402648369679

:)