Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   24x36 Inch Oil Painting for the Negro League Baseball Museum (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=151388)

AbsolonMoreau 05-19-2012 09:44 PM

24x36 Inch Oil Painting for the Negro League Baseball Museum

I am doing a 24x36 inch painting for the Negro League Baseball Museum (NLBM) of the 20 Negro League players who played in a MLB ASG including Hall of Famers Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Frank Robinson and Ernie Banks. The painting is going to be made into prints that are sold with proceeds benefitting both the NLBM and us.
With a print at 16x20 inches that is signed by the 7 still living members of this group including Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson and Ernie Banks, what is a cost you would be willing to pay?

EDIT:

Here is the completed piece!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...82811757_n.jpg

The picture is pretty bad, but it is better than nothing!

CW 05-19-2012 11:30 PM

Part of this depends on how limited the print is (and whether or not Willie Mays signs his name over another players' face ;) ).

Personally, I don't collect either Negro League memorabilia or autographs, but my price point would realistically be $200 for a signed print.

$499 would not be out of the question, though, if this were intended to raise funds and it was signed by the mentioned HOFers.

Good luck with the project and please post any images of the painting you might have!

AbsolonMoreau 05-19-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 995257)
Part of this depends on how limited the print is (and whether or not Willie Mays signs his name over another players' face ;) ).

Personally, I don't collect either Negro League memorabilia or autographs, but my price point would realistically be $200 for a signed print.

$499 would not be out of the question, though, if this were intended to raise funds and it was signed by the mentioned HOFers.

Good luck with the project and please post any images of the painting you might have!

Mays would end up signing it over his own body haha, he wouldn't be a d-bag for the NLBM. This would be to raise funds for the NLBM and it is going to be signed by those HOFers, just have to figure out a full price point.

Thanks a lot! I will post up images once I get some!

baseball tourist 05-20-2012 07:57 AM

Interesting and career building project for a young up and coming artist to be aligned with. Can't help you with price question and wouldnt want a print like this myself, but i thought i would offer a bit of unsoliticited advice - you may want to think twice about putting on the web comments that label a member and participant of your client's in the project as a "d bag".

Mays very well be just that, I have no idea, but if you are "working" with him or working with an organization that is working with him it isn't great PR for yourself to be throwing around disparaging remarks about his personality. Easy for the org to throw you off the project and find another artist.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

perezfan 05-20-2012 01:34 PM

He actually said Mays "wouldn't be a d-bag for the NLBM".

He never said he was one, or even inferred that he is one. He further said Mays would sign over his own body. I thought it was fine, and was worded ok... I don't think it crossed the line or contained anything incriminating... it made me smile.

Looking forward to seeing the subject work from this promising young artist!

baseball tourist 05-20-2012 03:51 PM

I wish him well as do I the organization and heck, Mays too.

Not a big deal, but I read that the OP was inferring that Mays would in this instance not be a d-bag (perhaps in deference to his reputation as a signer). I'll drop it. Good luck to the project!

jgmp123 05-21-2012 08:30 AM

I think a $200-$300 price point would be fine. $199 if the print isn't truly limited.

AbsolonMoreau 06-27-2012 07:00 PM

The painting has been put in the original post!

CW 06-27-2012 09:44 PM

Very nice!

Lordstan 06-27-2012 09:57 PM

Nice job.
First, I think signed nicely I think they'll fetch in the $400 range. COuld be more or less depending on how limited the run is and how nice they sign.
Second, I have a question. Why did you paint Doby in an Oriole uniform. Considering that as a Cleveland Indian, he was the first African American in the American League, I think that would've been the obvious choice.

Best,
Mark