Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help With a Ryan RC... Trimmed? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=205101)

phabphour20 04-28-2015 11:38 AM

Help With a Ryan RC... Trimmed?

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/...0/Ryan%201.jpg

I don't like the way it sits in the holder... seeking second (and 3rd, 4th...) opinion.

Thanks!

1963Topps Set 04-28-2015 05:02 PM

I see what you mean however did you size the card up with another? Perhaps a general 1968 Topps common?

begsu1013 04-28-2015 06:09 PM

take another 68 card that you know is not trimmed. rub your finger along the edges and get to know that "feel". then take out the ryan and do the same. a trimmed card usually has a distinctly different feel.

also, compare the edges and card board color. if there is a distinctly different color of cardboard on one of the edges, then that's a tell tale as well.

KCRfan1 04-28-2015 08:46 PM

Why don't you just measure the card? Should be 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, and with a ruler you can tell if the edges are straight also!

phabphour20 04-29-2015 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set (Post 1406116)
I see what you mean however did you size the card up with another? Perhaps a general 1968 Topps common?

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1406133)
take another 68 card that you know is not trimmed. rub your finger along the edges and get to know that "feel". then take out the ryan and do the same. a trimmed card usually has a distinctly different feel.

also, compare the edges and card board color. if there is a distinctly different color of cardboard on one of the edges, then that's a tell tale as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1406204)
Why don't you just measure the card? Should be 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, and with a ruler you can tell if the edges are straight also!

Oh, sorry guys... forgot to mention... this is a card I am considering buying from someone over the internet. If I had it in hand I would obviously do all of the above.

Thanks!

autograf 04-29-2015 12:54 PM

One of the inherent problems with the internet.........and ungraded cards. I'd pass. Not because I think it's trimmed but because you just can't tell. Theres plenty of them out there graded that you can feel much better about likely at a similar price. Good luck whatever you decide.

phabphour20 04-29-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1406359)
One of the inherent problems with the internet.........and ungraded cards. I'd pass. Not because I think it's trimmed but because you just can't tell. Theres plenty of them out there graded that you can feel much better about likely at a similar price. Good luck whatever you decide.

Yeah. He's asking around the price for a PSA 5. Probably right on (if not altered) by the naked eye. I'd try to hammer him down, but probably not enough juice there to make it worth the risk.

1963Topps Set 04-29-2015 03:04 PM

I agree, if you don't feel 100 percent... Pass. You will save yourself a huge headache in the long run. Not unless you want to call the seller in question and have him or her confirm the measurements for you.

JollyElm 04-29-2015 03:08 PM

Have him send you pictures or scans of the card aligned on a ruler, so you can see whether or not it measures out correctly.

phabphour20 04-29-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set (Post 1406404)
I agree, if you don't feel 100 percent... Pass. You will save yourself a huge headache in the long run. Not unless you want to call the seller in question and have him or her confirm the measurements for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1406405)
Have him send you pictures or scans of the card aligned on a ruler, so you can see whether or not it measures out correctly.

I asked for that card lined up immediately next to another 68 on all four sides. Line has gone cold...

JollyElm 04-29-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phabphour20 (Post 1406409)
I asked for that card lined up immediately next to another 68 on all four sides. Line has gone cold...

He could trim those cards as well, so it wouldn't provide you with any real answers.

phabphour20 04-29-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1406411)
He could trim those cards as well, so it wouldn't provide you with any real answers.

I hate everything right now.

JollyElm 04-29-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phabphour20 (Post 1406412)
I hate everything right now.

Haha!!!!

a761506 04-29-2015 04:33 PM

You're looking for a deal when deals don't exist

You're trying to find a bargain on a card that doesn't have bargains. It doesn't exist. The only reason someone would be tempted to pay PSA 5 money for that card is on the if-come of getting a higher grade when submitting it. The best word for this is greed. The seller will have got to your greed if you decided to buy it, it's highly likely the card has been altered regardless of how it may appear in the photo or the guy would have submitted it himself to resell it for it's true value.

This is a common card. You can find PSA 5's on the regular. Why bother gambling when it is completely unnecessary in this situation?

1963Topps Set 04-29-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phabphour20 (Post 1406409)

Interesting... I guess that is your answer.

phabphour20 04-29-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a761506 (Post 1406429)
You're trying to find a bargain on a card that doesn't have bargains. It doesn't exist. The only reason someone would be tempted to pay PSA 5 money for that card is on the if-come of getting a higher grade when submitting it. The best word for this is greed. The seller will have got to your greed if you decided to buy it, it's highly likely the card has been altered regardless of how it may appear in the photo or the guy would have submitted it himself to resell it for it's true value.

This is a common card. You can find PSA 5's on the regular. Why bother gambling when it is completely unnecessary in this situation?

I agree on some points and disagree on some others. Yes the card is attainable, for sure.

But I don't think bargain hunting is necessarily greed. I'll take a little risk for the chance of a higher grade based on my judgment. I won't take the risk of buying a card I think might have been altered.

I like the thrill of finding a deal. It honestly keeps me more entertained than a lot in this hobby. I can only look at my collection so much. I spend a LOT of time hunting for a deal.

Thanks for the input.

begsu1013 04-29-2015 06:42 PM

phabphour,

a ruler wont help regardless, but don't get discouraged. if there is a return policy, get it in clear writing and i suggest using your amex thru paypal, assuming since it's an online transaction as it adds an extra level of protection.

I am a nolan guy, as well and can tell you that this particular card and several other 68's that there is a good chance the card could come back an N6 (min size req). you wont get charged for the grading, but it's not altered or trimmed either...