Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best Advice You've Given (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300318)

brunswickreeves 04-14-2021 05:45 AM

Best Advice You've Given

'Tis better to give than recieve...What's the best advice you've given, and what were the results if known?

I befriended an eBay seller whom had a nice (almost complete) Mays Topps run in mostly PSA 3. When I ran the #s, he appeared to be leaving some money on the table if only he completed the run and added a 52T. He took the advice and relisted with the full run. In doing so, was able to add more value to the ultimate buyer, and netted a much better ROI.

I was thrilled the advice yielded a mutually beneficial outcome for buyer and seller.

What's the best advice you've given to help out and bless others?

bnorth 04-14-2021 06:46 AM

I have stopped several people from buying altered cards and pointed out several bad sellers.:D

It didn't work but I recently PMed a great member and told him responding to the Net54 resident racist homophobic POS was not worth it.:eek:

darwinbulldog 04-14-2021 07:34 AM

Topps Mantles and Goudey Ruths and T206s aren't rare. If you have to sell them to pay for something that is actually rare you should. They might have gone up in price in the meantime, but you'll always be able to find them.

philliesfan 04-14-2021 07:48 AM

This was when I was set up at a card show back in the day when they referred to us as weekend dealers or something like that.
Anyway, A younger boy and his father asked me if this was a good deal. He would get from the other dealer Topps sets from around 1978 to 1982 or maybe 1983 plus a 1963 Fleer set for his 1933 autographed Babe Ruth card. The auto looked good to me but I am in no way an expert. But since this other dealer wanted it I am confident it was real.

I told him no way in the world that was a good deal. I said tat these sets were easy to get and he should have no problem getting them later on. I really tried my best to make sure he understood it was not a good deal. I said if he wanted to trade it he could take everything on my table it would still be a bad trade for him.

I have no idea of the outcome but I sure hope he took my advice.

Bob

Exhibitman 04-14-2021 07:56 AM

When it comes to this board, instead of quitting over the trolls who sometimes seem to dominate the debate, just use the Ignore List. If someone is a ridiculous card queen, don't waste your time on their hissy fits, and the ignorant, bb-brained loudmouths (and we all know who they are), just block and move on. You will miss nothing except being annoyed because those people rarely have anything credible or intelligent to add to the discussion about card collecting. They are just here to gloss themselves or pick fights.

mark evans 04-14-2021 08:15 AM

As a rule, I don't give unsolicited advice because I've always been fearful that someone would take the advice and get a poor result. Here, I'll make an exception.

Buy cards that you would like to own and look at every day. I think buying for investment purposes is a gamble. I appreciate that values of vintage cards have largely gone through the roof in the last couple years, but that is no assurance of future values.

Snapolit1 04-14-2021 08:28 AM

Don't spend money on cards as a gamble when you should be socking it away in a starter home, college fund or a 401k. Yes, you can make a killing on cards but the market is unpredictable and volatile. Like most gambles in life, you always hear about the winners and not the losers. No one ever saddles up to you at a party and talks abour how they just lost their ass in Vegas or on bitcoin. If you have set a good financial basis for you and your family's future and can spend money on cards, go for it. But always makes me queasy when I hear 25 year olds putting all their eggs in one basket and rolling the dice.

If the price of your home goes down 25% you still have a roof over your head.

darwinbulldog 04-14-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2092766)
When it comes to this board, instead of quitting over the trolls who sometimes seem to dominate the debate, just use the Ignore List. If someone is a ridiculous card queen, don't waste your time on their hissy fits, and the ignorant, bb-brained loudmouths (and we all know who they are), just block and move on. You will miss nothing except being annoyed because those people rarely have anything credible or intelligent to add to the discussion about card collecting. They are just here to gloss themselves or pick fights.

Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.

Snapolit1 04-14-2021 09:23 AM

Ha. I will refrain from guessing.

QUOTE=darwinbulldog;2092788]Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.[/QUOTE]

bnorth 04-14-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2092796)
Ha. I will refrain from guessing.

QUOTE=darwinbulldog;2092788]Amen to that. It took me many years to actually use the ignore function, particularly since the once person I wanted to block is widely believed to be an expert here, but I've definitely been happier since I stopped seeing his posts and feeling compelled to point out that he appears to just be making up his facts most of the time.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm intrigued and have a couple in mind but not really sure who it could be.

packs 04-14-2021 09:45 AM

Buy what you want when you can afford it.

perezfan 04-14-2021 09:48 AM

LOL, I'm intrigued and have a couple in mind but not really sure who it could be.[/QUOTE]

I believe his user name is Archive.

Huysmans 04-14-2021 09:53 AM

I would suggest taking literally everything said by a number of Net54 daily regulars - including people posting in this thread - with a MASSIVE "grain" of salt.

x2drich2000 04-14-2021 10:34 AM

I keep finding myself where folks keep asking if T206s, 33 goudeys, raw 50-60's stars, etc are real or fake. The advice I always give is if in doubt, you can always find another one and you'll regret passing on a good card far less than being stuck with a bad one.

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-14-2021 02:24 PM

Little different take on the question, but I am often asked by new and/or aspiring auctioneers (in general not just card guys) for advice and I always say "Having and idea is great, but it's no substitute for having a plan."

Snapolit1 04-14-2021 02:48 PM

That’s great advice for any business. Easy to come up with an idea. We all have dozens of supposedly great ideas every day. Coming up with a plan is work.

clydepepper 04-14-2021 09:57 PM

'Don't listen to me - I spend money on cardboard images.'

honorable mention - 'Kevin Maas is going to be great!'

Tabe 04-15-2021 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2093078)
honorable mention - 'Kevin Maas is going to be great!'

He WAS great.

Just not for very long ;)

Leon 04-16-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 2092807)
I would suggest taking literally everything said by a number of Net54 daily regulars - including people posting in this thread - with a MASSIVE "grain" of salt.

I would too but with regard to baseball cards, many of our members know way, way more than a TPG....

Also, don't eat yellow snow!

marzoumanian 04-16-2021 09:54 AM

A Frank Zappa Fan?!?

OT: The late Frank Zappa wrote "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow" in 1974. I will never forget the title. I Googled the lyrics just now. They're great. The song hit number 86 on the charts back then. Thanks for bringing back the memory of the late, great Zappa. Weird but wonderful guy. Peace.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 04-16-2021 10:15 AM

Huge Zappa fan here. Was just singing that song yesterday.

I have a couple of great Zappa signed items in my collection: the contract for his classic 1970 performance at the Fillmore East (signed and initialed several times, and also by Bill Graham) and the only vintage signed copy of "We're Only in it for the Money" I've ever encountered.

Bobbycee 04-16-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 2093519)
Huge Zappa fan here. Was just singing that song yesterday.

I have a couple of great Zappa signed items in my collection: the contract for his classic 1970 performance at the Fillmore East (signed and initialed several times, and also by Bill Graham) and the only vintage signed copy of "We're Only in it for the Money" I've ever encountered.

My first time ever hearing "We're Only In It For the Money" was a revelation. Side splitting laughter too. Fortunate to have seen Zappa live, twice including a Halloween show at the Felt Forum. Of course, I wasn't collecting Baseball cards back then..