Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Kobe Bryant Auto Opinion (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297865)

LuckyLuke 03-02-2021 04:55 PM

Kobe Bryant Auto Opinion

1 Attachment(s)
Usually take my time in researching any and all autos, but this one literally fell on my lap and my usual due diligence was not done. Would appreciate the opinions of others more knowledgeable on Kobe autos. Thank you.

baseball tourist 03-04-2021 01:05 AM

Mine

1 Attachment(s)
Not the same medium or pen of course, but this is my IP Kobe. It is an early career sig. 1997.

scmavl 03-04-2021 10:40 AM

I don't know Kobe's auto at all, but the fact that the "8" on the card has its start/joining point on the right, and Chris' in-person auto has it on the left would be enough to make me pass. Autos can vary, but the fundamental way an athlete writes their jersey number? Hmmm...

baseball tourist 03-04-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2076620)
I don't know Kobe's auto at all, but the fact that the "8" on the card has its start/joining point on the right, and Chris' in-person auto has it on the left would be enough to make me pass. Autos can vary, but the fundamental way an athlete writes their jersey number? Hmmm...

I just amended my posting to add that mine was an early career auto. Not sure if his sig changed much over the years or not.

scmavl 03-04-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 2076622)
I just amended my posting to add that mine was an early career auto. Ot sure if his sig changed much over the years or not.

Still, I just tried to draw an 8 starting on the other side and it was almost impossible!

LuckyLuke 03-04-2021 02:47 PM

Thank you for your valued input. I have tracked down a few Kobe's who's formation of the 8 have been different at times and similar to the one posted. More opinions welcome. I know that Christopher Williams has in depth knowledge on Kobe Autos. Hopefully he can also chime in eventually.
Nice early auto!!

scmavl 03-08-2021 11:14 AM

I have relied on Christopher Williams' expertise more times than I can count. What an asset to the hobby.

LuckyLuke 03-08-2021 03:04 PM

In absolute agreement that there are true gentleman on these boards whose opinions are so very valuable to those of us that are still learning, David Atkatz, Christopher Williams , Mr.Zipper to name but a few, but there are many..many...more! Thank you all.

LuckyLuke 04-22-2021 07:00 PM

Valued opinions are welcome on the Kobe auto.
Thank you.

chaddurbin 04-23-2021 06:56 PM

I don't like it, it looks too neat and the "8" to the right of the name reminds me alot of those fake scoreboards. I believe I have seen at least one authenticated example with the 8 not under the name, but a big majority of the authentics the 8 should be under.

you can try to do a quick opinion with psa or beckett but imo they are also playing darts in a dark room when it comes to kobe.

here are mine which i believe to be authentic and a couple other kobe opinionaters that i respect agree:

https://i.imgur.com/XAGV5sO.jpg

LuckyLuke 04-23-2021 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you foryour opinion, it is very much appreciated.
There are some Kobe autos where the 8 is along side the name as well, some that are also PSA authenticated and /or UD issued cards.
But i do see point.

Michael B 04-23-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLuke (Post 2096067)
There are some Kobe autos where the 8 is along side the name as well, some that are also PSA authenticated and /or UD issued cards.
But i do see point.

The photo is a little small, but this looks like one of the counterfeit ones. Silver lines on the right are longer than the ones on the left. The 'r' in signature would be inside the silver oval if it was closed, and not bisected by the line. The v in ovation should be to the left. Also, the basketball is cut off on the left.

LuckyLuke 04-24-2021 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one with a PSA cert.

LuckyLuke 04-24-2021 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another..

vintagechris 04-30-2021 06:29 AM

I don't think this is authentic. It looks too slow and deliberate. Especially the # 8. the opening to the 8 looks way off and in the wrong place. The way the 8 starts and curls creating an open on the right side seems to be very atypical of any Kobe's I have seen. I also think the letter o looks slow and deliberate.

Joeybats 04-30-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2076623)
Still, I just tried to draw an 8 starting on the other side and it was almost impossible!

This is the most eye opening post in this thread. Such a great observation and I know I see a PSA card with the "opposite" 8 as well in this thread but, try to make an 8 opposite how you normally would...next to impossible to feel comfortable doing it. Makes me wonder...

chaddurbin 04-30-2021 10:56 AM

to me the style looks like these generic scoreboard stamped cards with the photocopied COA that pops up on ebay every week that people still pay $100-$300 for.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/W9QAA...EC/s-l1600.jpg

Yastrzemski Sports 05-01-2021 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLuke (Post 2096067)
But i do see point.

This particular Kobe card has been heavily counterfeited and distributed into the market. It probably isn’t real.

thetruthisoutthere 05-01-2021 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Yastrzemski Sports;2098296]This particular Kobe card has been heavily counterfeited and distributed into the market. It probably isn’t real.[/QUOTE

Adam is correct.

That is one of the forged/counterfeit versions.

shelly 05-01-2021 11:11 AM

I did see a Kobe card from upper deck with a score board cert.
What does that tell you?

thetruthisoutthere 05-01-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2078407)
I have relied on Christopher Williams' expertise more times than I can count. What an asset to the hobby.

Thank you so much for the nice comment.

Really appreciate it.