Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Capitol attacked (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294450)

1963Topps Set 01-07-2021 06:09 PM

Capitol attacked

What a day!

Jim65 01-07-2021 06:12 PM

How will this thread end? Hmm

Casey2296 01-07-2021 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I misread the Title.

Michael B 01-07-2021 08:05 PM

This subject may teeter on the edge of politics. Some of the great people on here may drop their guard and say something against the rules. Perhaps it would be better if Leon locks this thread and despite the unpleasantness we try to focus on our passions in the collecting world.

BobbyStrawberry 01-07-2021 08:15 PM

Personally, I have found it rather difficult to ignore yesterday's events and instead focus on the hobby. I wonder if other board members have had a similar difficulty.

Steve D 01-07-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2053680)
Personally, I have found it rather difficult to ignore yesterday's events and instead focus on the hobby. I wonder if other board members have had a similar difficulty.

You're not alone Matthew; I feel the same way.

All we can do is keep pushing forward and try to help with the healing we all so desperately need.

Steve

Michael B 01-07-2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2053680)

Yes, impossible to ignore. I work in D.C. If not for the current situation and working from home I would have run smack dab into it. Yes, it does bother me greatly. I take a deep breath, thank God I am alive every day and keep on doing what I need to do; take care of myself and my wife.

Casey2296 01-07-2021 09:57 PM

-deleted

RTK 01-08-2021 05:37 AM

I believe the country will rebound from it all. It definitely sobered up some people.

Jim65 01-08-2021 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2053664)
I misread the Title.

Any day Tom Wilson gets his ass whooped can't be too bad :D

Shoeless Moe 01-08-2021 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

timzcardz 01-08-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 2053728)
I believe the country will rebound from it all. It definitely sobered up some people.

And it has me thinking about drinking.

<Airplane mod> I guess I picked a bad week to start dieting. </Airplane mod>

cannonballsun 01-08-2021 10:05 AM

Entitlement ?

It's amazing that people would do something as terrible as what these people did - completely trashing the Capitol, and our Democracy at the same time, and they don't even hide their faces.They freely give out their names, and post all of their illegal, terrible deeds on social networks.
They think their actions will have no repercussions for them ? Five people are already dead. No biggie ?
As someone commented on National television, the sense of entitlement that these people have is amazing.

todeen 01-08-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTK (Post 2053728)

In response: I'm hoping the rebound includes bipartisan legislation for at least 12 months. Wouldn't that be nice? But I'm probably dreaming.

I'm a history/civics teacher. My students had lots of questions. My answer was the same that it always is:

1) Rhetoric has consequences. Rhetoric inflates inflates inflates, and then bursts. Then the process repeats.

2) Politics is a game. And if you always look at it like a game, you understand politicians have strategies to accomplish things. Yesterday was a failed strategy. Was it ugly? Yes. Is it a black eye? Yes. Will people learn from it? Hopefully. But the strategies will change now, and people will use different tactics to continue to play the game. The strategies for the Georgia senate race had winners and losers. The strategies for the Presidential election had winners and losers. The GOP is making a new strategy beginning to today. The Democrats are making a new strategy to help President Biden. And tomorrow the sun will rise, and the sun will set, and politics will continue.

cannonballsun 01-08-2021 10:46 AM

Not a game

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2053803)
In response: I'm hoping the rebound includes bipartisan legislation for at least 12 months. Wouldn't that be nice? But I'm probably dreaming.

I'm a history/civics teacher. My students had lots of questions. My answer was the same that it always is:

1) Rhetoric has consequences. Rhetoric inflates inflates inflates, and then bursts. Then the process repeats.

2) Politics is a game. And if you always look at it like a game, you understand politicians have strategies to accomplish things. Yesterday was a failed strategy. Was it ugly? Yes. Is it a black eye? Yes. Will people learn from it? Hopefully. But the strategies will change now, and people will use different tactics to continue to play the game. The strategies for the Georgia senate race had winners and losers. The strategies for the Presidential election had winners and losers. The GOP is making a new strategy beginning to today. The Democrats are making a new strategy to help President Biden. And tomorrow the sun will rise, and the sun will set, and politics will continue.

I think you are trivializing what happened. People died. Many more people, including Senators and U S Representatives, had good reason to be in fear for their lives.
Also, what happened caused great damage to our Democracy. That is no little thing.

Jim65 01-08-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonballsun (Post 2053791)
It's amazing that people would do something as terrible as what these people did - completely trashing the Capitol, and our Democracy at the same time, and they don't even hide their faces.They freely give out their names, and post all of their illegal, terrible deeds on social networks.
They think their actions will have no repercussions for them ? Five people are already dead. No biggie ?
As someone commented on National television, the sense of entitlement that these people have is amazing.

Change the word Capitol to cities, police stations, courthouses and churches and you could be describing Antifa. Of course then there would be way more than 5 dead.

Butch7999 01-08-2021 01:37 PM

Political threads in here are great for letting us know whom to add to our "Ignore" list.

steve B 01-08-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch7999 (Post 2053875)
Political threads in here are great for letting us know whom to add to our "Ignore" list.

Part of what caused this is people only listening to news/information/ideas from one source or type of source.

Don't be part of creating the next problem.

cannonballsun 01-08-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2053829)
Change the word Capitol to cities, police stations, courthouses and churches and you could be describing Antifa. Of course then there would be way more than 5 dead.

Any criminal acts, especially those that result in deaths, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It doesn't matter who committed those acts. Whoever did it, they should always be prosecuted.
That is something we should all be able to agree on.

Jim65 01-08-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonballsun (Post 2053915)
Any criminal acts, especially those that result in deaths, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. It doesn't matter who committed those acts. Whoever did it, they should always be prosecuted.
That is something we should all be able to agree on.

Of course

todeen 01-08-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannonballsun (Post 2053812)
I think you are trivializing what happened. People died. Many more people, including Senators and U S Representatives, had good reason to be in fear for their lives.
Also, what happened caused great damage to our Democracy. That is no little thing.

My previous post was an attempt to be apolitical, without breaking rules of this forum. I don't mean to trivialize the situation, or to lessen the fear. Our country is deeply divided right now. My personal opinion is that this isn't the event that will snap us back into cooperation and compromise.

rgpete 01-08-2021 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A Solemn Moment Prayer's for the Family of Brian D. Sicknick , the U.S. Capitol Police officer who died Thursday in the Washington, D.C., riot was a South River N.J. native, My home town were I grew up

Cliff Bowman 01-08-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2053829)

Please don't bring logic and reason into this discussion.

AustinMike 01-09-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2053988)
Please don't bring logic and reason into this discussion.

Don't worry, he didn't.

Butch7999 01-09-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2053900)
Part of what caused this is people only listening to news/information/ideas from one source or type of source.

Don't be part of creating the next problem.

True. But "alternative facts" are not news, baseless rumours are not information, and baldfaced lies are not ideas.
There's little point in wasting our time listening to hate-fueled ignorance unless the object is to lower our IQs even further.
Besides, we read and hear the "digest" version of the indigestible cluelessness and bigotry out there anyway,
as reliably and more succinctly reported by actual honest-to-gosh news outlets, no need to have that
undiluted stupidity vomited at us at tedious full length like our mum's radio does when we visit her.

Jim65 01-09-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 2054098)
Don't worry, he didn't.

I'm sorry I forgot, Antifa is just an idea and they are "mostly peaceful " :rolleyes:

Leon 01-09-2021 10:41 AM

As much as I would like a discussion about this stuff I just don't think it can stay apolitical. We all have our own views. Hopefully, at least everyone can agree that what we saw, for whatever reason, was appalling. Back to cards please.