Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bert Hunter (Negro League) auto authentication advice (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302993)

Frankish 06-02-2021 05:37 PM

Bert Hunter (Negro League) auto authentication advice

2 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up a late 30s or early 40s snapshot of a few pitchers including Bertrum Hunter and Sad Sam Thompson and signed by Hunter. I was hoping to get it authenticated but PSA doesn't have Hunter in its database of signatures...or at least I couldn't find it. I'm surprised as he was a pretty strong pitcher at various points with the Grays, Monarchs, and Crawfords and, if memory serves, pitched in the first East-West All Star game.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how I might go about getting this authenticated. Does PSA have a research request contact for autographs? Or is Beckett or someone else a better bet?

Getting it authenticated isn't the be all and end all, of course, but it would make me happy and, whenever possible, I try to get LOAs for my photos just so my kids can more easily manage them when I pass.

Thanks!

rand1com 06-02-2021 05:52 PM

He is not listed on JSA's list either but I did find one with an auction LOA from JSA for a Clean Sweep auction so they will probably authenticate him. You would have to call and verify and find out the fee. The one I found said it was the only known photo authenticated but who knows. You can find it and compare yours to it. It was a signed note with a full first name rather than an initial. Yours looks to be a close match to me. It is for sale on Ebay for a grand.

Frankish 06-02-2021 06:39 PM

Thank you very much! I will reach out to JSA.

tazdmb 06-03-2021 07:33 AM

I am surprised about PSA, I would reach out. Kevin Keating, there head authenticator, is a leading expert of Negro League Autographs.

Frankish 06-03-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 2109751)
I am surprised about PSA, I would reach out. Kevin Keating, there head authenticator, is a leading expert of Negro League Autographs.

I can try that. Any chance you could steer me to contact information that might reach the autograph authentication department directly? Except for the card research department, I never seem to have any luck getting touch with PSA without extremely long delays.

tazdmb 06-03-2021 12:08 PM

Sorry, I can't help more.

prewarsports 06-11-2021 03:02 PM

I had a Bud Fowler handwritten letter that PSA had for a while and did a ton of research before finally passing it. I think they are the best when it comes to Negro League stuff so if they have no examples to go off, it is actually probably a plus for you as that means it is exceedingly rare.

Frankish 10-04-2021 06:49 PM

update

It's been a few months, but I just got an email from PSA saying that autograph has been authenticated (the photo was authenticated as Type 1 earlier). I appreciate all of the advice and just wanted to say thanks.