Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Jimmie Foxx Autographed Card - Auction House Mystery (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291082)

carlsonjok 10-29-2020 12:10 PM

Jimmie Foxx Autographed Card - Auction House Mystery

I need someone to help me understand something that has me confused. By way of background, I am working on signed versions of cards of 1960 through 1963 Fleer baseball.

While it is generally a bit much for my wallet, I saw this signed 1961 Fleer Jimmie Foxx sell on eBay last night for $685.88 (seller is Probstein):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Fleer-...p2047675.l2557

I was wandering around Pristine Auctions today and found this current auction for a 1961 signed Foxx:

https://www.pristineauction.com/a322...A-Encapsulated

The thing that is confusing me is it is apparently the same card because the PSA authentication number is exactly the same. I understand that Probstein's business practices are the subject of some controversy. But, for the life of me, I really don't understand what is going on here and what the advantage is. I would appreciate any enlightenment.

Caseyatbat 10-29-2020 01:35 PM

If Probstein is auctioning off the item he more than likely has it in his possession and you will be fine. If not, you always have plenty of protection with Ebay to do a return or item not received and you will get your money back.

I would say the likely scenario is Pristine Auctions does not have possession of this item. These second and third rate auction houses often allow dealers to put items in their auctions with hidden reserves etc and they go around and around in their auctions and if eventually they sell for a price the dealer is happy with they will drop ship to the buyer. But if not they keep going around. I see this crap all the time. It's bush league.

Clydewally 10-29-2020 02:15 PM

That card has been in Pristine's auctions for months and apparently never reached their reserve price.

theshleps 10-29-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyatbat (Post 2030273)

I would say the likely scenario is Pristine Auctions does not have possession of this item. These second and third rate auction houses often allow dealers to put items in their auctions with hidden reserves etc and they go around and around in their auctions and if eventually they sell for a price the dealer is happy with they will drop ship to the buyer. But if not they keep going around. I see this crap all the time. It's bush league.

I have seen Pristine do this too. They also seem to get inflated prices in their auctions that I question the reality of. Probstein I have had no issues with and have sent them items to sell. BTW the Foxx was a great deal!!

carlsonjok 10-29-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyatbat (Post 2030273)
If Probstein is auctioning off the item he more than likely has it in his possession and you will be fine. If not, you always have plenty of protection with Ebay to do a return or item not received and you will get your money back.

Just to be clear, I didn't win the eBay auction. I didn't even bid. For the 1960 and 1961 sets, I am still just bottom feeding, with the one exception of a '61 Ted Williams. (For 1963, I have signed versions of 63 of 66 cards, so I have dropped some coin on several cards. But, even then, not to the tune of $685.)

But, to the subject matter, the Pristine auction does say "This item is being shipped from an approved vendor's location", so I assume you are right that Pristine is just fronting for Probstein. Thanks for the input.

Caseyatbat 10-29-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonjok (Post 2030324)
Just to be clear, I didn't win the eBay auction. I didn't even bid. For the 1960 and 1961 sets, I am still just bottom feeding, with the one exception of a '61 Ted Williams. (For 1963, I have signed versions of 63 of 66 cards, so I have dropped some coin on several cards. But, even then, not to the tune of $685.)

But, to the subject matter, the Pristine auction does say "This item is being shipped from an approved vendor's location", so I assume you are right that Pristine is just fronting for Probstein. Thanks for the input.

I would not say the auction house is fronting for Probstein. Tough to explain. I think the person who owns the item (not Probstein, they are consignment only) allowed Pristine to auction off their item(s) with a secret reserve without actually giving them the item. If the item meets reserve the owner would probably drop ship to the winner. If not, Pristine will just continue to auction it off in their next auctions until one day it does meet the reserve. Meanwhile the person who actually owns the card still has it hand and is free to sell it any way they choose. In this case it appears they decided to consign it to Probstein to be auctioned off and actually sell this time. But never told Pristine to stop auctioning off their item. If that makes any sense...Bush League for sure!

Bigdaddy 10-31-2020 09:41 PM

Not trying to hijack the OP's question, but since it referred to Pristine Auction, does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks,