Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Arenado Trade (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295901)

clydepepper 02-01-2021 10:32 PM

Arenado Trade

Splits through 2020:

Home Slashes: .322/.376/.609

Away Slashes: .263/.322/.471

Sound familiar?

Prediction:

He'll still be a great defender at third, but don't expect offensive numbers anywhere close to what he accomplished in Colorado.

Jim65 02-02-2021 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2063289)
Splits through 2020:

Sound familiar?

Prediction:

He'll still be a great defender at third, but don't expect offensive numbers anywhere close to what he accomplished in Colorado.

Some players adjust to life outside Coors, some are products of Coors. I guess we'll see.

I didn't like him for the Mets, the money risk was too high, especially when they need to resign Lindor, Conforto, Syndergaard and maybe Stroman.

packs 02-02-2021 09:06 AM

I don't really understand these kinds of trades. The Rockies probably traded the best player in their brief history and in exchange didn't get a single top prospect. There was no reason to trade him. Get another season out of him and let him be the one to tell the fans he doesn't want to play for them anymore. There is no doubt in my mind if I'm the Rockies GM that I can't draft and sign five comparable players in any draft that they received from the Cardinals.

Peter_Spaeth 02-02-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2063289)
Splits through 2020:

Sound familiar?

Prediction:

Are those in line with Walker and Helton or even more dramatic?

scmavl 02-02-2021 09:57 AM

As a Rockies fan (my local minor league team is in their farm system), this is disappointing. He was one of the only real bright spots for the team, and watching him play in-person was a treat.

todeen 02-02-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2063417)
I don't really understand these kinds of trades. The Rockies probably traded the best player in their brief history and in exchange didn't get a single top prospect. There was no reason to trade him. Get another season out of him and let him be the one to tell the fans he doesn't want to play for them anymore. There is no doubt in my mind if I'm the Rockies GM that I can't draft and sign five comparable players in any draft that they received from the Cardinals.

Small market realities. Some teams were hit worse by COVID than others.

I was sure the Reds would jump at an opportunity to improve their team by acquiring a shortstop, thus making them the leaders of the Central. They still have a great staff even without Bauer. There is even talk of Lodolo coming up this year. But they got.....nothing? How is Kyle Holder better than Freddy Galvis?

On the bright side for the Reds, at least they didn't sell the farm! But they sure thought about it all offseason.

ALR-bishop 02-02-2021 01:37 PM

As a Cardinals fan am hoping for a repeat of Matt Holiday

packs 02-02-2021 01:51 PM

I get the small market mentality but that's the same reason you can't trade your franchise player for a bunch of minor leaguers. When the Rangers traded A-rod they got back Alfonso Soriano. That's the kind of trade you need to make.

clydepepper 02-04-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2063432)
Are those in line with Walker and Helton or even more dramatic?

Helton is an easier comparisons as his entire career was at Coors as is Arenola's thus far:

Helton Home: .345/.441/.607
Helton Away: .287/.386/.469

Arenola Home: .322/.376/.609
Arenola Away: .263/.322/.471

Amazing the H/A differences are almost identical: Helton Home: +.058/+.055/+.138
============================== Arenola Home: +.059/+.054/+.138

Walker began his career in Montreal and finished up in St. Louis, so I'm just comparing his Coors stats to his overall lifetime stats:

Walker Career: .313/.400/.565
Walker Coors: .381/.462/.710

The Coors Advantage for Walker: +.068/+.062/+.145

and Walker got into the Hall

peanuts 02-05-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2063417)

This kind of trade makes perfect sense is you view baseball solely as a way to generate a consistent cashflow to complement your business portfolio.
Coors Field is gorgeous, the metro area is booming, and people will come in droves to enjoy the summer days there. With the NL West being so stacked, there are plenty of reasons for fans to come see a game... so why bother spending money to add to those reasons? Let the competition shoulder your customer acquisition costs for you!

clydepepper 02-06-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuts (Post 2064927)
This kind of trade makes perfect sense is you view baseball solely as a way to generate a consistent cashflow to complement your business portfolio.
Coors Field is gorgeous, the metro area is booming, and people will come in droves to enjoy the summer days there. With the NL West being so stacked, there are plenty of reasons for fans to come see a game... so why bother spending money to add to those reasons? Let the competition shoulder your customer acquisition costs for you!

That, apparently, was the same approach the Cubs had during Sosa's 'hey-day'.

$