Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1991 topps sheet (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303953)

rgpete 06-22-2021 07:05 PM

1991 topps sheet

I have a sheet of Board 11 *F the sheet glows under a black light. Chipper Jones is the 3rd card from the left on the top row

Zach Wheat 06-29-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 2116183)
I have a sheet of Board 11 *F the sheet glows under a black light. Chipper Jones is the 3rd card from the left on the top row

Nice. I collect sheets as well as sets.

As Leon says, every thread needs a pic. Do you have one of the sheet or Chipper on the sheet?

rgpete 06-29-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2118017)
Nice. I collect sheets as well as sets.

As Leon says, every thread needs a pic. Do you have one of the sheet or Chipper on the sheet?

My bad I will post that portion front and back of that sheet

rgpete 06-29-2021 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures

Zach Wheat 07-01-2021 08:09 AM

Nice. Your sheet with Chipper has the updated variations and was later in the print run.

It is hard to store full sheets of cards. I like to store them unrolled, which as you can imagine, presents a number of challenges.

Thanks for posting.

ALR-bishop 07-01-2021 08:55 AM

Zach---what are the measurements of your largest sheets ?

rgpete 07-01-2021 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2118774)
Nice. Your sheet with Chipper has the updated variations and was later in the print run.

It is hard to store full sheets of cards. I like to store them unrolled, which as you can imagine, presents a number of challenges.

Thanks for posting.

What other variations ? Its hard to store the sheets unrolled for me I go back to 1984

Zach Wheat 07-06-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2118785)
Zach---what are the measurements of your largest sheets ?

My sheets are from the 1991 Topps desert shield set and measure 28 1/2" X 43".

tulsaboy 07-07-2021 02:43 PM

Al, my biggest uncut sheet is a 1980 Topps Superstar (the 5x7 cards) and it is 57" wide by 43" tall. It could not be handled as a smaller half sheet like the sheets of normal sized cards were, because the layout has 11 cards running horizontally across the sheet, and a half sheet cut would slice the middle card right down the middle.
kevin

4reals 07-26-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2120559)
My sheets are from the 1991 Topps desert shield set and measure 28 1/2" X 43".

You have a desert shield sheet?! Wow! I would love to see a pic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnorth 07-26-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4reals (Post 2127184)
You have a desert shield sheet?! Wow! I would love to see a pic!!

Especially a pic of the sheet with Wade Boggs on it.:)

philliesfan 07-27-2021 03:35 PM

I have a beat up set of 2 sheets of the 1980 Topps Hockey. I have it flat now but it has gotten worn over the years of handling. Also when it was rolled, some of the black from the unscratched puck rubbed off onto the backs of the cards.

Zach Wheat 07-28-2021 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert/Joe/Ben,

Sorry for the delay, I don't come on N54 much anymore. Yes, storing sheets so the edges don't get roughened and keeping the backs from rubbing makes collecting sheets a difficult chore. I store sheets "flat" (not rolled), separated by layers of cling film and compressed to keep them from rubbing.

Joe/Ben,

See the following - pic of the center of Sheet A* - which contains Boggs. This image is pretty appealing IMO due to the low angle and clouds in the background. It is one of the best photos of any player in the set.

I have a number of original sheets from the set. Getting an image of the entire sheet with meaningful detail is difficult, at best. Guys that make fakes of the DS set are getting better - but still not perfect - so I do not like to post hi res images showing the embossing. Imperfect embossing on a card is almost always the "tell" it is fake...sometimes the tell is the sheet code on the reverse, or glowback as Joe originally discovered.

For those new to the set, the DS version of Boggs only comes with the A* sheet code on the reverse.

Regards,

Z

saucywombat 07-28-2021 02:22 PM

Flat file cabinet.

Architects, libraries, government offices have them.

They are wildly expensive new but I got one cheap from a guy who buys stuff in bulk at government surplus auctions.

Really great for posters and card sheets.

rgpete 07-28-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywombat (Post 2127858)
Flat file cabinet.

Architects, libraries, government offices have them.

They are wildly expensive new but I got one cheap from a guy who buys stuff in bulk at government surplus auctions.

Really great for posters and card sheets.

Surveying Engineering Companies have them too

bnorth 07-28-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2127747)
Robert/Joe/Ben,

Sorry for the delay, I don't come on N54 much anymore. Yes, storing sheets so the edges don't get roughened and keeping the backs from rubbing makes collecting sheets a difficult chore. I store sheets "flat" (not rolled), separated by layers of cling film and compressed to keep them from rubbing.

Joe/Ben,

See the following - pic of the center of Sheet A* - which contains Boggs. This image is pretty appealing IMO due to the low angle and clouds in the background. It is one of the best photos of any player in the set.

I have a number of original sheets from the set. Getting an image of the entire sheet with meaningful detail is difficult, at best. Guys that make fakes of the DS set are getting better - but still not perfect - so I do not like to post hi res images showing the embossing. Imperfect embossing on a card is almost always the "tell" it is fake...sometimes the tell is the sheet code on the reverse, or glowback as Joe originally discovered.

For those new to the set, the DS version of Boggs only comes with the A* sheet code on the reverse.

Regards,

Z

Thanks for the pic Mr Wheat. I really like that pic of Wade because I don't have that bat but I have the same exact model/finish with a very similar #26 on the knob.:D

4reals 08-02-2021 10:12 AM

Wow Zach, amazing! May I ask, where were you fortunate enough to find that?!