Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mike Trout: Baseball's Newest Star (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153844)

barrysloate 07-14-2012 02:13 PM

Mike Trout: Baseball's Newest Star

Last night I was at Yankee Stadium (my first trip to the new park- thanks Corey) and saw Mike Trout hit a single and a double and steal two bases. Today I watched him on TV and saw him get two singles and a double with two more steals. So he's 5 for 9 with four steals in the two games, and he's hitting .349. Certain rookie of the year, possible MVP, and he's only 20. What an incredible talent. I hope he's able to keep it up.

CharleyBrown 07-14-2012 02:46 PM

I'm going to the game tomorrow - looking forward to seeing him play!

rjackson44 07-15-2012 07:17 AM

Barry he's special even picked some of his rookie cards.:)

novakjr 07-15-2012 09:09 AM

Lucked into him on the wire in fantasy the day he got the call-up. I thought he'd be helpful, but I didn't think he'd end up the best guy on my team(hell, possibly the best in the league since his call-up). There's absolutely nothing this kid can't do, and I find myself going out of my way to watch him play when the Angels are on tv... A Very special and exciting player. Harper who?

yanksfan09 07-17-2012 05:41 PM

This kid is amazing. I can't believe what he's doing right now. Taking all of baseball by storm! There's an awful lot of talent int he game today and it's not perfect, but the game is far cleaner than it was a decade ago. Young players like Trout and Harper who play old school hard nosed baseball are arriving and we could be talking about these guys in the same breath as some of best to ever play in another 10 years. I think this is a great time for baseball. There are older guys like Chipper Jones, Jeter, Mariano Rivera etc who are leaving the game soon but the talent is certainly coming back in to replenish itself. You also have the R.A. Dickey storyline this season and a ton of really good young pitching like King Felix, Kershaw, Hamels, Strasburg....the list goes on.

I hope people are enjoying the game today as much as me.

**I too had to pick up a bowman chrome signed RC of Trout, he really looks like a very special player!

barrysloate 07-18-2012 04:59 AM

Four more hits last night, now batting .355....

chaddurbin 07-18-2012 09:45 AM

trout is having a historic season. he's on pace for a 10+ WAR year (think ruth and mays and bonds PED days)...while missing the first 20 games, as a 20 yr old rookie. logic says he'll hit a bump in the road, but he seems to just be getting better. even if he comes back down to .310/.380/.500 at the end of the year he should get the MVP based on his defense at CF and speed and what he's meant to the angels while having no "natitude".

**i'm a lil biased out here in socal.

71buc 07-19-2012 07:57 PM

The Mariners should trade King Felix for him.

brob28 07-19-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1016092)
The Mariners should trade King Felix for him.

Yes they should, but the Angels should not.

71buc 07-19-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1016098)
Yes they should, but the Angels should not.

I love felix and he is one of the best starting pitchers in the game today at age 26. Unfortunately the Ms cannot score runs consistently enough to support him. The Ms have a farm system stocked with young talented arms. I don't see the Ms being competitive for at least three years which is also when Felix's contract expires.

With the Angels current roster they will always play bridesmaid to Texas in the AL West. If you add Felix to that recipe Texas will be chasing the Angels for the next 3-5 years. Trout cannot win 20 games for the Angels Felix could without a doubt.

During that same time the Ms would have a new face of the organization to take them into the future much as Junior did. Trout would be 24-25 when the Ms farm system begins to produce a winning product.