Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP Ron Barrett - Longtime Dealer Collector (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249060)

Leon 12-19-2017 06:44 AM

RIP Ron Barrett - Longtime Dealer Collector

I received an email from a longtime hobby friend and dealer concerning the passing of another longtime dealer, who used to set up at a lot of shows, Ron Barrett. My friend, who prefers to stay anonymous, said he was recently sending out some Christmas cards and the wife of another of his dealer friends let him know that Ron had passed away. I was asked if I would post this for him to let folks know. RIP Mr. Barrett.

Michael Peich 12-19-2017 07:04 AM

Hi, Leon,

I am extremely saddened to learn of Ron's passing. Although I knew he had been in declining health for some years, he nevertheless remained one of the older and wiser dealers of his generation. Ron not only knew the hobby of collecting baseball cards, he knew the history of baseball which for me was intriguing. It was always a pleasure to spend time with Ron and his wife Sheila at their booth at the old Ft. Washington Show.

Ron was an attorney, and he retired after a long federal career in order to indulge his pleasure of dealing in cards. He was unselfishly helpful to me, and other collectors, and I will always remember him as a man of integrity, good humor, and good will. Ron made collecting vintage baseball cards a joyful learning experience.

Respectfully,
Mike

icollectDCsports 12-19-2017 11:45 AM

Sad to hear this. I purchased a number of items from Ron some years back, and would see him frequently at shows. Really nice guy. Condolences to his family and friends.

mark evans 12-19-2017 01:21 PM

Sad news. I saw Ron pretty regularly at Chantilly show, and even bumped into once at a Nats game. Great guy, wonderful sense of humor.

pete zouras 12-19-2017 03:58 PM

RIP Ron

1 Attachment(s)
Very sad news indeed. I will share this picture again of Ron entering AJs (the local card shop) ahead of Bob Menefee, both have now passed away. Lot of memories.

timn1 12-19-2017 06:12 PM

sad loss

Yes, Ron was a prince among dealers. He and Sheila always welcomed us happily behind the table to chat and swap stories. Many of my fondest Ft Washington memories involve them. He will be missed.

ValKehl 12-19-2017 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've never met a nicer dealer than Ron. Here's his obit that appeared in the Washington Post. Net54 was well represented at the graveside service on November 2nd.

Aaron Seefeldt 12-19-2017 10:42 PM

Great guy

Had many wonderful interactions with Ron. Always friendly and easy to deal with. He was one of the true good guys.

danmckee 12-21-2017 09:31 AM

Ron was a GREAT GUY! He would set up next to me and Pops at the Pikesville, MD Armory show back in the mid 1980's.

I remember near the end of the show on Sunday, a guy came to his table and bought all of Ron's common T206s, about 120 of them I think, at $25 each!

That was very high back then, after the guy left, Ron looked at me and Pops and said:

"What in the hell is he going to do with those? He can't resell them at that price."

Too Funny!

I miss you Ron!! I am quite sure I will see you again.

Dan Mckee

Hankphenom 12-21-2017 04:08 PM

Ron was the living refutation to the accusation thrown around that our hobby is nothing more than a den of thieves and brigands. Always pleasant to deal with, and boy did he ever know his stuff when it came to cards! One time I took him a very pretty Johnson T-206 portrait that had walked in to see what he thought it was worth. After looking it over for about five seconds, he handed it back and said, "this will get a four." I said, "really, are you sure about that?" and he nodded his head. You can guess what it graded. R.I.P. Ron, it was a real pleasure to know you.

BearBailey 12-21-2017 05:02 PM

Great guy, sad to hear. Many dealings over the years, great sense of humor and all around good guy.

tedzan 12-21-2017 05:32 PM

Ron Barrett was a great all around guy. I used to look forward to seeing him at the shows. We had some great conversations, talking BB and BB cards.

GOD BLESS your soul, Ron......and, may GOD comfort your family.

TED Z

t213 12-28-2017 12:27 PM

Ron was a great friend for many years. When I used to set up at shows I’d request a table next to or near Ron’s so we could hang out. We frequently bought and sold cards to each other so many items in our showcases were mine, his and often mine again. He would explain to me “what we lose on each transaction, we make up in volume...” and then give that Ron smile and start laughing. A great guy who I miss.

Andy