Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Clemente Help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=151350)

Moesalty 05-19-2012 10:36 AM

Clemente Help

Does anyone on this board know if Roberto Clemente signed "Bob Clemente" early on in his career (1955-56)? Any assistance will be appreciated....

mr2686 05-19-2012 12:22 PM

I have seen about 3 authenticated (take that for what it's worth) Bob Clemente autos (on 3x5's and AP's). I know Bob Prince used to call him Bobby so maybe he made an attempt for awhile to americanize his first name, but I don't think it lasted long and I don't believe he liked doing it. Either way, a full Roberto Clemente autograph is much nicer to look at and own IMHO.

John V 05-19-2012 01:10 PM

I remember an interview or writeup of him being encouraged to go by Bob. He hated it and stressed that his name was Roberto. Possibly he caved to the pressure and signed Bob for a period of time. Later on, I imagine he would have told them to stuff it.

Moesalty 05-19-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen....it's greatly appreciated!

Wouldn't that make a "Bob" Clemente autograph more valuable since it is a bit more scarce????

RichardSimon 05-19-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moesalty (Post 995087)
Thanks for the info gentlemen....it's greatly appreciated!

Wouldn't that make a "Bob" Clemente autograph more valuable since it is a bit more scarce????

More scarce but less desirable since it was not his preferred way of signing or fans preferred way of collecting.
I was checking my files but I don't have a Bob Clemente exemplar but I have seen a couple in the past on auction sites.

thecatspajamas 05-19-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 995100)
More scarce but less desirable since it was not his preferred way of signing or fans preferred way of collecting.

+1

You also have to consider that if they are that rare, most collectors are going to have the same reaction as you did when they see one: "Did he ever really sign that way?" And even if the buyer accepts it as authentic, he's going to face that same question 9/10 times that he shows it off to anyone: "Didn't he always sign 'Roberto'? Are you sure that's real?" Never underestimate the ability of a little seed of doubt to affect the "value" of something, regardless of whether it is authentic or not.

Moesalty 05-19-2012 02:25 PM

Thank you!

docpatlv 05-19-2012 07:02 PM

I have a team signed ball from I think 1959 that he signed Bob.

Mr. Zipper 05-19-2012 08:58 PM

Interesting comments regarding the Bob variant.

I understand how a general collector who wanted a Clemente would probably avoid "Bob" in favor of the more common form. However, I'd think among those who focused on Clemente, the demand would be great for the uncommon variant.

smtjoy 05-23-2012 01:26 PM

Hi, I'm an avid Clemente collector and I have no interest in a "Bob" version, I dont consider it his name and as has been said he could not stand it. His early signature is awesome.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...nteautobig.jpg

packs 05-24-2012 01:35 AM

It's a light one but this ball dates from around 1955 or 1956.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m...sweetspot2.jpg

JimStinson 05-24-2012 04:31 PM

JimStinson

1 Attachment(s)
Clemente did occasionally sign "Bob" Clemente , I recently purchased a collection of signed Pirates scorecards early 1960's , three Clemente signatures in the group and all were signed that way. Also have seen others over the years. All were sloppier than normal indicating he was in a hurry. Real Clemente signatures in any form are desirable but probably less desirable signed as "Bob" its not really a nickname. Other players that HATED their nicknames include Joe "DUCKY" Medwick and Charlie "KING KONG" Keller but even they would on rare occasions sign their name using the nickname. Have attached an IN-PERSON 1961 Roberto Clemente signed with the more familier Roberto Clemente

Leon 05-24-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 996862)
Clemente did occasionally sign "Bob" Clemente , I recently purchased a collection of signed Pirates scorecards early 1960's , three Clemente signatures in the group and all were signed that way. Also have seen others over the years. All were sloppier than normal indicating he was in a hurry. Real Clemente signatures in any form are desirable but probably less desirable signed as "Bob" its not really a nickname. Other players that HATED their nicknames include Joe "DUCKY" Medwick and Charlie "KING KONG" Keller but even they would on rare occasions sign their name using the nickname. Have attached an IN-PERSON 1961 Roberto Clemente signed with the more familier Roberto Clemente

Thanks for the feedback and exemplars Jim. Welcome to our forum too. I know the guys on here will be happy to have another respected autograph person on our forum. If I can ever help you in any way please let me know. Happy collecting!!

JimStinson 05-24-2012 04:51 PM

JimStinson

Very Nice of you to welcome me aboard , Sincere Thanks...

bender07 05-24-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 996862)

Jim - Glad to see you made it!

packs 05-24-2012 09:18 PM

That's an awesome Clemente. He had style.

JimStinson 05-25-2012 12:38 PM

JimStinson

Just a couple more tidbits on Clemente , One of my ALL TIME most stupid autograph related blunders was when around 1989 I was offered a stack of around 20 or 30 signed Roberto Clemente checks. The seller wanted (I think) $250.00 each which I thought was VERY HIGH , As even Ty Cobb checks at that time could be bought for less. So I passed. Those darn checks sell these days for anywhere from $4,000-$6,000.
Also one of my favorite Clemente stories was how he ended up playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He had been heavily scouted by Branch Rickey when Rickey was in the Brooklyn Dodgers front office. He knew talent when he saw it and had Roberto playing for Brooklyn's minor league affiliate Montreal and was ready to bring him to Brooklyn which would have given the Dodgers an outfield consisting of CARL FURILLO-DUKE SNIDER-ROBERTO CLEMENTE, Which would have been a pretty darn good outfield. Instead Rickey had a "falling out" with Brooklyn and one of the last things he did before he left was to "BURY" Clemente in the Dodgers farm system before taking the position of Pirates General Manager. I used to own an old Montreal Royals scorecard and sure enough he was not even on the starting team, and was listed WAY down on the list of bench warmers. Then the Clever Rickey opted to draft the young superstar as the first selection of the 1954 Rookie draft. Clemente debuted with the Pittsburgh Pirates April 17th, 1955. Branch Rickey had often feuded with Larry MacPhail and this was his final act of revenge for the ill treatment he felt he had recieved from Brooklyn. The rest, as they say is history

Wymers Auction 05-25-2012 12:43 PM

Could you imagine being a manager of a team and being forced to put Clemente on the bench?

RichardSimon 05-26-2012 06:38 AM

I guess that outfield would have made 1955 just one of a few years that they won the World Series.