Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fun signing project- Nolan Nolan Ryan's 4500th career strikeout victim Mike Aldrete (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286711)

Scott Garner 07-29-2020 05:59 AM

Fun signing project- Nolan Nolan Ryan's 4500th career strikeout victim Mike Aldrete

5 Attachment(s)
For many years I have been putting together a unique collection of game used bats of Nolan Ryan's significant milestone strikeouts.
Additionally, I have gotten each of these bats signed and inscribed by the player.
I finally got the opportunity to get close to completing this collection last week when current Oakland A's coach Mike Aldrete did a private signing in No Cal.
Aldrete became Ryan's 4500th career strikeout on 9/9/87.
Here are some photos of Aldrete signing his bat as well as a photo of the 4500th K when Aldrete was a member of the SF Giants.

This has been a fun project that has taken over 25 years to complete.
The last photo shows my Ryan milestone K bat rack with all of the signed and inscribed game used lumber.

roarfrom34 07-29-2020 06:39 AM

Awesome collection Scott!

Bill

earlywynnfan 07-29-2020 07:37 AM

So glad there's still joy to be had in today's society!!

Keep up the cool collection, Scott.

mr2686 07-29-2020 08:41 AM

Great project Scott! Who else do you need to complete it?

Scott Garner 07-29-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 2003874)
Great project Scott! Who else do you need to complete it?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for asking.
Tino Martinez Seattle Mariners 1991 LS- Ryan's 5500th K victim
to essentially complete the project

Scott Garner 07-29-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarfrom34 (Post 2003833)
Awesome collection Scott!

Bill

So glad there's still joy to be had in today's society!!

Keep up the cool collection, Scott.

Ken

Thanks Bill & Ken!

roarfrom34 07-29-2020 11:58 AM

Scott...

did you happen to see that the glove Art Kusnyer used to catch one of Nolan Ryan's No-Hitters is up for auction?

Bill

Scott Garner 07-29-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roarfrom34 (Post 2003935)
Scott...

did you happen to see that the glove Art Kusnyer used to catch one of Nolan Ryan's No-Hitters is up for auction?

Bill

Hi Bill,
Yes, I am actually aware of it being in auction.

BTW, Art Kusnyer actually used TWO catchers mitts in Ryan's 2nd no-hitter.
I own the glove that Kusnyer used warming Nolan up in the bullpen and (according to Kusnyer) was used in the first inning.
Ryan was throwing especially hard in his 2nd no-hitter (17 K's!).
He claimed it was the best game he ever pitched.

Kusnyer's glove #1 developed a 1 1/2" tear in the pocket and Kusnyer determined that he needed to break out glove #2 and FAST, because this one wasn't going to work.

The one that is up for sale was recently put up for auction by Ryan
was used in the later innings.

If I didn't already own my Kusnyer 2nd no-hitter glove, I would probably go after the one in this auction, but I don't plan to do so.

Klrdds 07-29-2020 03:54 PM

Congratulations . This is one of the most unique ideas to collect that I have ever seen . Keep us posted when you get Tino !
Just curious which players have signed the bats ? Also has anyone refused to sign a bat or given you a hard time about doing it ?

Scott Garner 07-29-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 2004057)
Congratulations . This is one of the most unique ideas to collect that I have ever seen . Keep us posted when you get Tino !
Just curious which players have signed the bats ? Also has anyone refused to sign a bat or given you a hard time about doing it ?

Hi Kevin,
My Ryan milestone bat rack currently has:

Sal Bando- Ryan's 1,000th K
Rich Reese- Ryan's 383rd K in 1973- MLB single season K record
Ron LeFlore- Ryan's 2,000th K
Cesar Geronimo- Ryan's 3,000th K
Tim Blackwell- Ryan's 3508th K (Ties WaJo for all-time lead)
Brad Mills- Ryan's 3509th K (Sets new MLB standard for career K's)
Danny Heep- Ryan's 4,000th K
Mike Aldrete- Ryan's 4,500th K
Rickey Henderson- Ryan's 5,000th K (I chose not to have an inscription added to this one- HOF Henderson with a terrific vintage signature)
Greg Myers- Nolan Ryan's 5,714th K - last career strikeout

Believe it or not, I have not had a player refuse to sign and inscribe their bat yet.
Some of these autographs I received by simply chasing guys down during their active careers (or post-career in baseball) and simply ask by asking via a phone call or letter.

One was a arranged meeting at their hotel in DET. Another was an arranged meeting outside of Comerica Park in DET.
The best story that I have to share involved a former player that I sent a letter to. We actually exchanged two fairly long letters that included an invitation to play golf, but a recently replaced knee by the former player eliminated that as a possibility. Instead he agreed to meet me in a Walgreens parking lot near their home in AZ and signed about 11 items for me including his game used bat on the hood of his Corvette while yacking about sports and his career post-baseball. Absolutely one of my favorite stories...

I also have an extensive collection of Nolan Ryan's milestone catchers game used bats, all of which are now signed and inscribed. :cool: