Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Population Reports (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216319)

Bryan Long 01-08-2016 02:51 PM

Population Reports

Does anyone really pay attention to population reports? I know it can't be easy to keep these things even close to realistic with people switching back and forth from company to company - or cracking it out and resubmitting to the same company or a different one. At times I wonder just how far off these things really are???

I would be curious to find a card with a low pop number and see if we can find more graded ones just as a test LOL :rolleyes:

DixieBaseball 01-08-2016 05:51 PM

Pop reports

To answer your question, I find the pop reports to be very beneficial with scarce issues, and especially rare cards. I keep a pretty detailed list of T213-1 Type 1 Coupons. The Pop reports have been very helpful over the last 10+ years I have been able to snare a few that are re-graded, but with so few in the hobby, it's not a big chore to keep up with... So yes, I find them beneficial for certain issues, like Coupon Type 1's or even T210 Type 8's & 3's to give you a few examples.

jimivintage 01-08-2016 09:07 PM

I think I see your point, Bryan. So, to illustrate, I believe there are only 13 T206 Matty Carolina Brights according to PSA (6) and SGC (7) total. I have one of them (SGC). So, there should only be 12 others? Six for PSA and six for SGC, however, that data may overlap cross grades right? My SGC may very well have been in a PSA holder at one point, so now the data is doubled. Tough to really track this stuff I guess.

Jimi

swarmee 01-09-2016 07:25 AM

I believe some people do with the images from Vintage Card Prices and then debit counts accordingly. I believe that the companies will remove cards from their registry if you send them back the flips, so that they see they have been removed from their holders. I am not sure if PSA will send flips to SGC/BVG on crossover attempts that actually occur, and vice versa. That would be kind of nice.

1952boyntoncollector 01-09-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Long (Post 1489704)
Does anyone really pay attention to population reports? I know it can't be easy to keep these things even close to realistic with people switching back and forth from company to company - or cracking it out and resubmitting to the same company or a different one. At times I wonder just how far off these things really are???

I would be curious to find a card with a low pop number and see if we can find more graded ones just as a test LOL :rolleyes:

On the high graded cards (that are the condition of the upper tier of the psa registry and not likely to be resubmitted), I definitely find that important for cards of that grade or cards where there are less than 100 or so of them in total for any grade.