Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Possible for CSG to have screwed the pooch even harder? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303631)

LACardsGuy 06-15-2021 10:10 AM

Possible for CSG to have screwed the pooch even harder?

I am trying to think of scenarios in which a brand new grading company could completely destroy their goodwill even more quickly than they have.

Lordstan 06-15-2021 10:18 AM

How did they mess up their reputation? Is there some sort of a scandal going on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

perezfan 06-15-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2113985)
How did they mess up their reputation? Is there some sort of a scandal going on?

Yes.

But the scandal involves PSA, Beckett and SGC. Most people here probably have altered cards in their collections that reside in numbered slabs. And nothing is being done about it (yet).

LACardsGuy 06-15-2021 12:01 PM

Was not referring to that. Only to snail like progress, lack of transparency, admin screw ups, and general lying to try to calm people down (the "thick slab" controversy rages on).

In general, at a time that PSA had become unusable, all they had to do was actually turn around cards in a timely manner and everyone would have loved them. Instead, they have the same turnaround times as PSA with MUCH less value increase once finally graded. They have failed on all fronts. Check their chat boards. Hoards of unhappy people.

Lordstan 06-15-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 2114015)
Was not referring to that. Only to snail like progress, lack of transparency, admin screw ups, and general lying to try to calm people down (the "thick slab" controversy rages on).

In general, at a time that PSA had become unusable, all they had to do was actually turn around cards in a timely manner and everyone would have loved them. Instead, they have the same turnaround times as PSA with MUCH less value increase once finally graded. They have failed on all fronts. Check their chat boards. Hoards of unhappy people.

Ok. Being that i have never sent in cards for slabbing, i had no idea there was any controvery.

Shoeless Moe 06-15-2021 02:23 PM

Dam

butchie_t 06-15-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2114046)
Dam

:p. I see what you did there. :cool:

perezfan 06-15-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 2114046)
Dam

To many dam TPGs :rolleyes:

SAllen2556 06-15-2021 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2114111)
to many dam tpgs :rolleyes:

Attachment 464276

Snapolit1 06-16-2021 08:10 AM

I realize the old guard TPGs are a complete shitshow at this point, and I won't be submitted anything for grading literally for years, but I can't imagine the scenario where I would send anything of value to an unproven start up either.

Problem solved. Submit nothing.

LACardsGuy 06-17-2021 06:52 PM

To make things even worse, they declared 3 of the 7 cards were ungradable because altered (one was a modern chrome card, ferchrissakes). Two modern cards in very sharp and centered condition are coming back as 5s. I have been grading cards with the big 3 for at least 15 years, and know what 5s look like. This has been the biggest waste of time and money I have experienced in quite a while. Will be cracking cases and sending to SGC.

doug.goodman 06-17-2021 11:43 PM

This is a weird thread.

Is the complaint that you paid somebody for their opinion and then didn't agree with their opinion?

And then that somehow means that they are a bad company?

Send your cards to me and I will give you an opinion on them for half the rate of anybody else.

Doug "can't hurt to try" Goodman

PS - and am I to understand that "modern chrome card, ferchrissakes" can't be altered?

Duluth Eskimo 06-19-2021 08:29 PM

I agree. Very weird. When you rely on other people’s opinions and then turn on them when they don’t agree with you. Card grading to me is dumb, but this thread in dumber.

Mark17 06-20-2021 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2115241)
I agree. Very weird. When you rely on other people’s opinions and then turn on them when they don’t agree with you. Card grading to me is dumb, but this thread in dumber.

Dumb and Dumber

Exhibitman 06-21-2021 12:06 PM

Stephen Falken: The whole point was to find a way to get cards graded without destroying ourselves. To get us to learn from mistakes we couldn't afford to make. Except, I never could get collectors to learn the most important lesson.

David Lightman: What's that?

Stephen Falken: Futility. That there's a time when you should just give up.

Jennifer: What kind of a lesson is that?

Stephen Falken: Did you ever send a card to a grader?

Jennifer: Yeah, of course.

Stephen Falken: But you don't anymore.

Jennifer: No.

Stephen Falken: Why?

Jennifer: Because it's a stupid game. The grades are never to my liking and the turn time can be as much as a year.

Stephen Falken: Exactly. There's no way to win. The process itself is pointless! But some collectors, they believe you can win the grading game That there can be "acceptable losses."

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...rgames_031.jpg

Lordstan 06-21-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2115650)
Stephen Falken: The whole point was to find a way to get cards graded without destroying ourselves. To get us to learn from mistakes we couldn't afford to make. Except, I never could get collectors to learn the most important lesson.

David Lightman: What's that?

Stephen Falken: Futility. That there's a time when you should just give up.

Jennifer: What kind of a lesson is that?

Stephen Falken: Did you ever send a card to a grader?

Jennifer: Yeah, of course.

Stephen Falken: But you don't anymore.

Jennifer: No.

Stephen Falken: Why?

Jennifer: Because it's a stupid game. The grades are never to my liking and the turn time can be as much as a year.

Stephen Falken: Exactly. There's no way to win. The process itself is pointless! But some collectors, they believe you can win the grading game That there can be "acceptable losses."

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...rgames_031.jpg

Awesome.

irishdenny 06-25-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 2113983)
I am trying to think of scenarios in which a brand new grading company could completely destroy their goodwill even more quickly than they have.

Whatcha come up wit?

ooo-ribay 06-26-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2115241)

agree....especially with the first pat.

Still, I wish I’d thought of it first. Damn. :mad: