Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Walter Johnson L1 Leather (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305695)

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 02:44 PM

Walter Johnson L1 Leather

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this "Holy Grail," and am wondering if I should try to get it cleaned, stains removed if possible, and maybe even restoration of the missing pieces using a cheaper non-baseball L1 (assuming I could find one). I'm very happy just putting it up on the wall as is with this nice framing job, the WaJo image is quite sharp and that's what counts for me, but wouldn't mind exploring the other possibilities. Anyone here had any experience with leather restoration, where (other than the internet) I should look for that kind of expertise, or any other comments or advice?

Leon 07-28-2021 02:50 PM

It's nice and if it was mine I would probably leave it just as it is. Good luck with whatever you do. Great leather.

mrreality68 07-28-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2127864)
I just picked up this "Holy Grail," and am wondering if I should try to get it cleaned, stains removed if possible, and maybe even restoration of the missing pieces using a cheaper non-baseball L1 (assuming I could find one). I'm very happy just putting it up on the wall as is with this nice framing job, the WaJo image is quite sharp and that's what counts for me, but wouldn't mind exploring the other possibilities. Anyone here had any experience with leather restoration, where (other than the internet) I should look for that kind of expertise, or any other comments or advice?

I would not restore it.

I think it looks great the way it is and my opinion is the Restoration takes away from the Character of the piece and also potentially devalues it

Great Pickup

Casey2296 07-28-2021 02:54 PM

Beautiful Hank, congratulations. I don't know what the +/- is on restoration of a piece like this but if you wanted to clean/restore it I would think a fine art restorer might be a good place to start. If you choose to go that route let me know, I have great guy here in town that's done a couple of pieces for me, I could give him a call and connect you two.

ksfarmboy 07-28-2021 03:55 PM

I’d leave it alone, looks great just as it is. Congrats on the pick up!

rjackson44 07-28-2021 04:04 PM

Don’t touch it

egri 07-28-2021 04:28 PM

I think it's a beautiful piece, and I would leave it as is.

orioles70 07-28-2021 04:28 PM

I would leave well enough alone.

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

doug.goodman 07-28-2021 04:31 PM

That's a pretty great piece (congrats) and I wouldn't do anything to change it.

Doug

Tao_Moko 07-28-2021 04:33 PM

Based on the current direction of our market - I would leave it alone. When the bubble bursts, altered cards(even preserved/restored) cards may have a scarlet letter of sorts. There's no correct answer and opinions will vary. Assuming your "holy grail" might end up in other family member hands when you're gone means setting them up for success to sell later is a consideration. If that's too morbid then maybe you stumble upon one at a flea market for a quarter and sell one off(lol). I approve of restoration when it's a necessity for preservation. That concept has not been adopted in our hobby. Beautiful piece and congratulations.

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 04:54 PM

Thanks!

1 Attachment(s)
I really appreciate the comments, and as a result I'm leaning strongly toward leaving it as it is. When so many of the people here I have such great respect for feel so strongly, I'm definitely paying attention. It did pass my presentability threshold from the start, or I wouldn't have bought it. What got me thinking about cleaning, and possibly restoration, was this one I found in my search for other examples on the web, from a 2005 REA auction. It's tempting to think that I might be able to get mine closer to this kind of beauty with just a cleaning and/or stain removal, which I approve of in most instances with cards and memorabilia and don't really consider restoration, which is more involved with adding non-original material rather than subtracting dirt and stains that weren't there in the first place--so why not get rid of them if you can do it without changing the piece in any significant way?

packs 07-28-2021 05:06 PM

That's a really nice one. I've always thought this series was cool. What is the leather like to touch? I've never held one before.

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2127918)
What is the leather like to touch? I've never held one before.

I'll probably never know!

Vintagecatcher 07-28-2021 05:41 PM

Congrats!

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats Hank on picking up your Holy Grail!

I wouldn't restore the leather, however, getting it matted with an oval opening might create a more enjoyable presentation.

I bought a T4 of John Tiedemann that was trimmed to the oval and I had it matted to mirror the original look.

Patrick

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2127871)
Beautiful Hank, congratulations. I don't know what the +/- is on restoration of a piece like this but if you wanted to clean/restore it I would think a fine art restorer might be a good place to start. If you choose to go that route let me know, I have great guy here in town that's done a couple of pieces for me, I could give him a call and connect you two.

Thanks, Phil, I would like to talk to them to see what the state of the art is. But my condition for any work would be that it look like it had never been touched. If they could promise that while getting the dirt and stains out without washing out or bleeding the image AT ALL, and depending on the cost, I'd have to give it some thought, at least. Right now I'm guessing I will put it on the wall and smile every time I look at it. Then I'll look at the S81 and do the same.

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher (Post 2127931)
Congrats Hank on picking up your Holy Grail!
I wouldn't restore the leather, however, getting it matted with an oval opening might create a more enjoyable presentation. I bought a T4 of John Tiedemann that was trimmed to the oval and I had it matted to mirror the original look.
Patrick

Thanks, Patrick, that's a pretty good idea. It works real well with your photo, and I've probably done it myself with photos. But even though it's a beater, and with chunks missing you could hide with your method, I think I'd prefer to see the whole thing, warts and all. The L1s are such a strange concept to begin with, I'm not sure the damage mine has sustained takes much away from the overall wonder of it, especially with the extreme rarity in mind. It will be marvelous just to see it on my wall every day.

Michael B 07-28-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2127916)
I really appreciate the comments, and as a result I'm leaning strongly toward leaving it as it is. When so many of the people here I have such great respect for feel so strongly, I'm definitely paying attention. It did pass my presentability threshold from the start, or I wouldn't have bought it. What got me thinking about cleaning, and possibly restoration, was this one I found in my search for other examples on the web, from a 2005 REA auction. It's tempting to think that I might be able to get mine closer to this kind of beauty with just a cleaning and/or stain removal, which I approve of in most instances with cards and memorabilia and don't really consider restoration, which is more involved with adding non-original material rather than subtracting dirt and stains that weren't there in the first place--so why not get rid of them if you can do it without changing the piece in any significant way?

Maybe it is my photographers eye, but I think I see brush and wipe marks on this one. That would bother me to no end.

Jay Wolt 07-28-2021 07:06 PM

Hank fantastic pickup, Congrats!

Casey2296 07-28-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2127945)
Thanks, Phil, I would like to talk to them to see what the state of the art is. But my condition for any work would be that it look like it had never been touched. If they could promise that while getting the dirt and stains out without washing out or bleeding the image AT ALL, and depending on the cost, I'd have to give it some thought, at least. Right now I'm guessing I will put it on the wall and smile every time I look at it. Then I'll look at the S81 and do the same.

I'll give him a call and have a chat with him.

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2127951)
Maybe it is my photographers eye, but I think I see brush and wipe marks on this one. That would bother me to no end.

I see all kinds of shit that's happened to this thing, Michael. Tell me what you're thinking.

Hankphenom 07-28-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 2127963)
Hank fantastic pickup, Congrats!

Thanks, Jay!

MuncieNolePAZ 07-29-2021 11:10 AM

Awesome pick-up Hank. Congrats! I would leave it as is.

Chad

clydepepper 07-29-2021 11:32 AM

Great acquisition Hank.

Though I'm certainly no expert, I would agree with the majority of comments and say leave it be.

One word of caution: Keep it out of direct sunlight. I know that sounds very common sense, but lots of us become even more leathery with that type of exposure.

perezfan 07-29-2021 12:45 PM

Congrats Hank... Such a tough item, and the WaJo image is stellar!

I would keep it original as well. The condition flaws mentioned are just a part of its history and charm.

Hankphenom 07-29-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2128154)
Great acquisition Hank. Though I'm certainly no expert, I would agree with the majority of comments and say leave it be. One word of caution: Keep it out of direct sunlight. I know that sounds very common sense, but lots of us become even more leathery with that type of exposure.

Ha! Thanks, Robbie, I've learned over the years, sometimes the hard way, to beware the elements when it comes to my stuff: sunlight, moisture of any kind, even air are the enemies of preservation. Funny how the things we need to survive are not kind to our collectibles.

Hankphenom 07-29-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2128174)
Congrats Hank... Such a tough item, and the WaJo image is stellar! I would keep it original as well. The condition flaws mentioned are just a part of its history and charm.

Thanks, Mark, that sure is the consensus here. And I'm leaning heavily that way right now myself, but do want to learn what the possible options might be. Looking at that gorgeous example from REA, I would be sorely tempted if a qualified expert told me that mine could look something like that with no effect whatsoever on the image itself. That's the only condition under which I would even consider it. I do appreciate and value highly your opinion and that of the other serious guys here.

ValKehl 07-29-2021 07:55 PM

Congrats on your great pickup. I'n very happy for you. But, I wish I had known about this auction! :)

Leon 07-29-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2128332)
Congrats on your great pickup. I'n very happy for you. But, I wish I had known about this auction! :)

You must have opted out of the emails that are sent from the forum. An email about their auction was sent to all members who haven't opted out of those type emails.

mrreality68 07-30-2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Wow nice Leather.

Make me want to talk to my wife about us going out and getting Some Leather

Hankphenom 07-30-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2128351)
You must have opted out of the emails that are sent from the forum. An email about their auction was sent to all members who haven't opted out of those type emails.

I didn't get it either, Leon, where do I go to opt in on those? The bids in this auction were so ridiculously low I'm guessing very few forum guys got any notice about it. I was the fortunate recipient of a tip from a very thoughtful member.

Hankphenom 07-30-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2128419)
Wow nice Leather. Make me want to talk to my wife about us going out and getting Some Leather

Might make her appreciate the hobby more.

Hankphenom 07-30-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Val, and there isn't the slightest doubt in my mind that you mean it. This was a bolt of lightning for me, straight out of the blue, and I know you've had a few of those in your time. It's all meant to be.

Leon 07-30-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2128446)
I didn't get it either, Leon, where do I go to opt in on those? The bids in this auction were so ridiculously low I'm guessing very few forum guys got any notice about it. I was the fortunate recipient of a tip from a very thoughtful member.

I would never opt anyone out without them telling me. So at some point you in fact opted out and haven't been receiving them. I just opted you back in. I am the only one that does that (the other mods can but don't). I know people don't like marketing emails but the ones sent from here are spot on, on topic.

Hankphenom 07-30-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2128453)
I would never opt anyone out without them telling me. So at some point you in fact opted out and haven't been receiving them. I just opted you back in. I am the only one that does that (the other mods can but don't). I know people don't like marketing emails but the ones sent from here are spot on, on topic. .

Thanks, Leon!

mrreality68 07-30-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2128448)
Might make her appreciate the hobby more.

Ride Em Cowboy Eh Ha

Hankphenom 07-30-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2128505)
Ride Em Cowboy Eh Ha

Oh, yeah. But I'm not sure I'd want to see the playroom of the guy or gal who came up with the idea for the L1s, they always seemed a bit kinky to me. Or maybe I would!

ValKehl 07-30-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2128351)

Leon, I don't believe that I have opted out from receiving emails sent from the forum. I just now searched my email history, and I didn't find an email pertaining to Grant Zahajko Auctions. In fact, I've never heard of this auction house, until now.

Hank, today, someone at the NSCC told me how much you won the L1 WaJo for - you did very well, my friend! I take consolation in knowing there is no better place for this item than in your collection. BTW, I too, would keep this L1 ln its original condition.

GeoPoto 07-31-2021 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2128737)
Leon, I don't believe that I have opted out from receiving emails sent from the forum. I just now searched my email history, and I didn't find an email pertaining to Grant Zahajko Auctions. In fact, I've never heard of this auction house, until now.

FWIW, I am on this list: didn't opt out, didn't get, never heard.

mrreality68 07-31-2021 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoPoto (Post 2128765)
FWIW, I am on this list: didn't opt out, didn't get, never heard.

Same Here. But I saw the banner on top of the forum

Hankphenom 07-31-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 2128737)
Hank, today, someone at the NSCC told me how much you won the L1 WaJo for - you did very well, my friend! I take consolation in knowing there is no better place for this item than in your collection. BTW, I too, would keep this L1 ln its original condition.

Thanks, Val, I just got lucky, as we sometimes do. After being alerted to the auction by a tip from a very nice Net54 member, I was surprised to even be able to register with such short notice. And then my bids were strictly of the bottom-feeding variety, expecting that once the live auction got underway, they would be quickly overwhelmed and that would be that. When I saw the results, I wished I had bid on a lot more! My friend Joe G, who really knows game-used stuff, said that some of the tough early Padres material went ridiculously low, a fraction of their market value in some cases. It was a very strange auction in a number of respects, not least being how it was possible that so few people were aware of it in the first place.

steve B 07-31-2021 11:14 PM

Like others, I'd leave it as it is.

An idea that might work though...

re-frame with a backing mat that has the shape of a complete one in a similar tan. It would look complete from a short distance, but still not be restored aor altered.

Hankphenom 08-01-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2129023)
Like others, I'd leave it as it is.

An idea that might work though...

re-frame with a backing mat that has the shape of a complete one in a similar tan. It would look complete from a short distance, but still not be restored aor altered.

Thanks for the interesting idea. Not sure I'd go to that much trouble, and I think there's enough of it there to extrapolate the rest. I do wish they had done the metal plate in gold rather than silver, I might replace that or ditch it altogether.

DCDSports 08-01-2021 09:49 AM

Always loved the L1 leathers set. If I recall correctly, we had a complete set of the baseball, and a good number of the other series, including 5 or 6 of the LL premiums. In addition we had some original advertising pieces (including a baseball one).

They make great displays, and the variety was cool.

Hankphenom 08-01-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCDSports (Post 2129098)
Always loved the L1 leathers set. If I recall correctly, we had a complete set of the baseball, and a good number of the other series, including 5 or 6 of the LL premiums. In addition we had some original advertising pieces (including a baseball one). They make great displays, and the variety was cool.

I remember being blown away by your L1 collection, undoubtedly the best ever put together. Unfortunately, the Legendary archives has gone down the rabbit hole. You don't have photos of the items in the collection, do you, specifically the WaJo L1?

JeremyW 08-02-2021 01:55 PM

Hank- I have that Legendary auction catalog. If you let me know your address, I'll try to get it mailed out to you this week. Jeremy

Baseball Rarities 08-02-2021 03:11 PM

Beautiful L1 of Walter. I would also opt to leave it alone. I think that it has a tremendous look to it as is. Congratulations.

Snowman 08-03-2021 02:25 AM

Such a great piece! Congratulation! It looks like I'm in the minority on this one, but I would be looking to clean it if it were in my collection. As long as it could be done without damaging anything or fading the image. But I also understand why others say not to touch it. As far as how to go about doing it though, I don't have any experience cleaning something like this, but I would look into options. Perhaps a museum curator might be a good place to start.

glynparson 08-03-2021 03:42 AM

100% keep it as is.

Hankphenom 08-03-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 2129728)
100% keep it as is.

Thanks, Glyn, I'm only about 60% there right now. I do see the charm in it as it is now, but keep getting drawn to the clean version and think about mine with that kind of patina and brightness.

Shoeless Moe 08-03-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2129776)
Thanks, Glyn, I'm only about 60% there right now. I do see the charm in it as it is now, but keep getting drawn to the clean version and think about mine with that kind of patina and brightness.

Just get it cleaned!

You know you want to. And you got it for a great price, so put that money you saved for the cleaning.

It will look amazing and you won't be wondering "should I clean it or shouldn't I? for the next 10 years.

GO FOR IT!!!!!