Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   '33 Goudey #144 ending on Ebay tonight (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297916)

chadeast 03-03-2021 04:03 PM

'33 Goudey #144 ending on Ebay tonight

I was seriously considering bidding on a '33 Goudey Ruth 144 that ends on Ebay tonight. It has some adhesive marks in the corners but otherwise looks nice.

I just found an image on VCP of what appears to be the same card when it sold back on 3/30/17. That image shows a noticeable horizontal crease (?) across the middle of the card in the VCP image, but that crease is very difficult if not impossible to see in the Ebay listing. I will not be bidding due to my uncertainty over this crease. I certainly could be incorrect about these being the same card, and I am drawing no conclusions, but I thought that this may be useful information for others who might be considering whether or not to bid on the card.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a4b171e4_z.jpghttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...59d8c76c_z.jpg

Jcosta19 03-03-2021 04:28 PM

Definitely the same card.
Same cert number.
Crease is definitely present in the top one but there is no way I would have seen it without the other image. Does the description mention the crease?

Good job searching VCP, I always do the same looking for previous sales. They often show different lighting and more obvious issues.

Edited -
The VCP card also has a lot of light on it from the scanner so I'd guess the crease is less visible to the naked eye (probably somewhere between the two images).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chadeast 03-03-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2076348)
Definitely the same card.
Same cert number.
Crease is definitely present in the top one but there is no way I would have seen it without the other image. Does the description mention the crease?

Unfortunately, there is no description of the card in the listing other than the information already seen on the holder label. Too often I see 4 & 5 figure cards with little or no description provided, which is really a shame and I believe short-changes the seller.

And I tend to agree with you, it is likely pretty tough to see this crease with the naked eye.

SD 03-03-2021 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice heads up. I too was bidding on it, but once it got over 6k I lost interest. Plus, something seemed off. The SCG looks very badly cut.
[QUOTE=chadeast;2076330]I was seriously considering bidding on a '33 Goudey Ruth 144 that ends on Ebay tonight. It has some adhesive marks in the corners but otherwise looks nice.

I just found an image on VCP of what appears to be the same card when it sold back on 3/30/17. That image shows a noticeable horizontal crease (?) across the middle of the card in the VCP image, but that crease is very difficult if not impossible to see in the Ebay listing. I will not be bidding due to my uncertainty over this crease. I certainly could be incorrect about these being the same card, and I am drawing no conclusions, but I thought that this may be useful information for others who might be considering whether or not to bid on the card.

[

chadeast 03-03-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD (Post 2076362)
Nice heads up. I too was bidding on it, but once it got over 6k I lost interest. Plus, something seemed off. The SCG looks very badly cut.

If you talking about the borders of the card, I think they are OK. Notice that the black insert itself seems to not be cut very symmetrically, giving the appearance that the right vertical edge in your photo is not even. If you look at just the card without the holder, I think it looks good. It's a nice example really, minus the adhesive in the corners, which is why I was seriously considering a higher bid.

conor912 03-03-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2076348)
Does the description mention the crease?

Sellers don’t describe anything anymore. If you won’t pay top dollar without one, someone else will.

SD 03-03-2021 09:17 PM

Yeah, not the card. The insert for the slab.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadeast (Post 2076368)
If you talking about the borders of the card, I think they are OK. Notice that the black insert itself seems to not be cut very symmetrically, giving the appearance that the right vertical edge in your photo is not even. If you look at just the card without the holder, I think it looks good. It's a nice example really, minus the adhesive in the corners, which is why I was seriously considering a higher bid.

Directly 03-04-2021 12:59 AM

Sold for $9,000-+ shipping- with 30 day return.

Schlesinj 03-04-2021 05:29 AM

A PSA 1 sold for $7,700 or so last night as well.

Fuddjcal 03-04-2021 09:54 AM

interesting. similar with my SGC 1.5

4 Attachment(s)
When I purchased it from a photo, the horizontal crease wasn't very noticeable. Once I scanned it with the cheap scanner HP 3-1 (don't have the pics anymore), you could see it night and day.

Picture 1 is the original I purchased:

2nd is a rescan with the epson V600, which is supposed to be good? I wish I could get the colors to "POP" like the scans above????? who knows how? I spent 3 months scanning 800 cards:)

I'm very happy with the card. I like the way it's jammed into the holder with the worn rounded corners. That's the way I remember them. Certainly wouldn't pay 9K for it:D today, OUCHIE!

ngrow9 03-04-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2076532)
A PSA 1 sold for $7,700 or so last night as well.

Thanks for noting that, I'm not seeing either this sale or the one of the card from the original post in the thread on 130point. Were they listed with strange titles?

sportscardpete 03-04-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Directly (Post 2076514)
Sold for $9,000-+ shipping- with 30 day return.

Did we all sleep on Goudey Ruths? Wow. Great price.

chadeast 03-04-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 2076665)
Did we all sleep on Goudey Ruths? Wow. Great price.

The one that sold was not fuddjcal's card. It is the card at the top with the adhesive on the corners that went for $9k. IMO, getting $9k for that card was a great price... for the seller :)

Fuddjcal 03-04-2021 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadeast (Post 2076666)
The one that sold was not fuddjcal's card. It is the card at the top with the adhesive on the corners that went for $9k. IMO, getting $9k for that card was a great price... for the seller :)

correct, I think the 1.5 that sold for 9K was nicer than mine. funny how everyone cards with the same grades are "always" nicer than mine.:D I like to make sure they fit in the plastic container, haven't been soaked in teeth whitening solution and then given a haircut though. Like the 9k one that was probably whitewashed to get the adhesive off and is swimming sideways in the case.

I agree it was a great price for the seller and could get returned when they see the huge crease that was hidden in the pics. Anal Eddies that pay 9K don't like that, IMHO.