Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to display your fave Hank Aaron card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291734)

Belfast1933 11-13-2020 08:27 AM

How to display your fave Hank Aaron card

3 Attachment(s)
About a month ago, I asked for ideas on how to best display my Joe D card... some awesome and clever ideas and images were suggested (the Marlilyn Monroe playboy mag may have won the most creative idea). I ended up buying a killer 1937 Baseball Mag with Joe on the cover

And now - would love to see or hear your ideas on how to show off my new fave - 1955 Hank Aaron

As a reminder, here is a taste of what I have in my Card Cave - would love some cool, different ways to be a backstop to old Hammering Hank

Thx all!

steve B 11-13-2020 10:23 AM

The Sports Illustrated 715 cover wouldn't be a bad choice.

An action photo 8x10 would also be interesting.

ocjack 11-13-2020 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was a collector magazine published in the early 90's for cereal box collectors. Issue 13 featured articles and pictures of baseball-related cereal boxes. This is the cover of issue 13. It might make a unique addition to your Aaron display.

todeen 11-13-2020 10:39 AM

With a bat!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Han...4AAOSw171fc6Wc

Belfast1933 11-13-2020 11:07 AM

That would look sweet for sure... or maybe the famous photo of the two dudes who ran with him after “the” home run. I like it - thx for the idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2034797)
The Sports Illustrated 715 cover wouldn't be a bad choice.

An action photo 8x10 would also be interesting.

Belfast1933 11-13-2020 11:08 AM

Could be a cool/different look - thx!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2034803)
This was a collector magazine published in the early 90's for cereal box collectors. Issue 13 featured articles and pictures of baseball-related cereal boxes. This is the cover of issue 13. It might make a unique addition to your Aaron display.

Belfast1933 11-13-2020 11:09 AM

Might not QUITE have room for a bat on the mantle.... but it would add dimension!

Thx Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2034805)

brianp-beme 11-13-2020 11:12 AM

With your favorite hammer, of course.

Brian

Belfast1933 11-13-2020 11:18 AM

Solid idea.... can’t go wrong (or maybe an old “Oh Henry” candy bar?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2034820)
With your favorite hammer, of course.

Brian

NiceDocter 11-13-2020 11:53 AM

Hammer

PLace card in front of a picture of a young MC Hammer, who was a batboy for the Braves.... he looked a lot like Aaron hence his given nickname Lil Hammer..... he made a career out of it!!!

todeen 11-13-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2034819)
Might not QUITE have room for a bat on the mantle.... but it would add dimension!

Thx Tim

Go with the 16" mini bat! I'm thinking of grabbing an Ernie Lombardi mini bat for my collection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAG...IAAOSwSUxfJb5x

JollyElm 11-13-2020 03:26 PM

Started and ended his career in Milwaukee?? Hmmm...you have to throw in a subtle reference to 'Laverne & Shirley' or 'Happy Days' (or 'Mork & Mindy'?) or you ain't human!!! :D

71buc 11-16-2020 12:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Although I don’t technically “collect” Hank Aaron any more as a child of the 70s I loved him. I bought everything that my allowance would permit. After Roberto passed Hank became my guy. Every Christmas and Birthday from 1973 to 1976 featured Hank Aaron gifts in every way shape and form. I think my parents were relieved that my Hank Aaron obsession pulled me out of my adolescent grief caused by Roberto's death. I was one of those weird kids who didn’t play with his baseball toys. I took great care of them and they have stayed with me for MANY years. They survived teenage romances, muscle cars, college, 31 years of marriage (see teenage romance), raising 4 kids, and putting one through law school. When I finished graduate school my father handed me a box containing the spikes you see here. In the graduation card he wrote, “You may not have been be good enough to fill these shoes but you certainly earned them and we are proud of you, love Mom and Dad”. I eventually had them signed by Hank. Although they are attributed to him and are his size, and bear his number, I have never been able to find a photo of Hank wearing Brooks. Apparently they were team issued and worn in spring training. Nonetheless, if you come across a photo of Hank wearing Brooks please let me know.

I saw this thread and thought it would be fun digging out my Hank Aaron toys and make a display. Although this is a fraction of my Hank memorabilia these are items that make me smile and recall childhood. The card I featured is my 1954 Hank Aaron Rookie. I am old school and have never paid to grade a card. I don’t know that I ever will. My mom died 25 years ago. Cancer took her from us way too early. My dad is now 80 and even though I am rapidly approaching 60, he still buys me baseball "toys" for every birthday and Christmas. I love baseball and the history of the men who played it. As a kid Roberto and Hank were my superheroes. I suppose they still are. My son just turned thirty his name is Aaron and his middle name is Clemente...go figure.