Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Can anyone help me find SCD back issues? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297821)

cbradley221 03-02-2021 05:53 AM

Can anyone help me find SCD back issues?

Not sure this is the right place to ask (brand new here) but I’ve been trying to find Spord Collector digest back issues and having a heck of a time finding them anywhere but eBay. Was wondering if anyone here had a direction they could point me; my kid and I have been on the hunt for a while, need some new leads!

This is an awesome forum btw, thanks for any help!

Chris

KangsKards 03-02-2021 06:11 AM

I've found far more of TTS or other earlier publications than SCD. in particular, I've been looking for the actual 25th anniversary issue. Found exactly one and the shipping on it was $30. I asked the seller, he confirmed. $30.

Be careful reading any postings for SCD 25th anniversary issues for sale. Most likely it's the card that came in the shrink wrap, not the actual issue, and not all postings are worded clearly.
Chuck

steve B 03-02-2021 12:00 PM

30 sounds pretty high for shipping, but they're a big magazine that for a while was also pretty heavy.
They have to ship priority, as anything with ads can't be sent media mail (with a couple exceptions like books with a page advertising other books)

A friend sent a magazine from the 1890's by media, and it was sent back to him for more postage. When he pointed out that any ads were well over 100 years old and that nearly all the companies were out of business long ago they said it didn't matter, ads are ads...

sfmays24 03-05-2021 11:32 PM

I have a copy of the 25th anniversary issue and can offer it for $30 delivered.

mortimer brewster 03-06-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2075786)
30 sounds pretty high for shipping, but they're a big magazine that for a while was also pretty heavy.
They have to ship priority, as anything with ads can't be sent media mail (with a couple exceptions like books with a page advertising other books)

A friend sent a magazine from the 1890's by media, and it was sent back to him for more postage. When he pointed out that any ads were well over 100 years old and that nearly all the companies were out of business long ago they said it didn't matter, ads are ads...

This happened to me also. I sent a book and a magazine in the same package to someone using media mail. The recipient had to pay for priority shipping upon delivery because of the magazine.

I also have had media mail packages searched after dropping them off at the post office. The recipient would contact me to let me know.

t_vguy 03-13-2021 05:08 AM

I really wish

The entire library of SCD from say 5 years ago to the first issue were digitized.
Reading material for hours. You can add Baseball cards Magazine & Baseball Hobby News to that list too.

steve B 03-13-2021 10:01 PM

How are they available?
Is there a paywall?

And... did they scan all the ads too?

GasHouseGang 03-13-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2080682)
How are they available?
Is there a paywall?

And... did they scan all the ads too?

He made the title "I really wish . . ."
So it hasn't actually happened yet. I misread his post at first too.

buymycards 03-15-2021 08:22 AM

Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimer brewster (Post 2077421)
This happened to me also. I sent a book and a magazine in the same package to someone using media mail. The recipient had to pay for priority shipping upon delivery because of the magazine.

I also have had media mail packages searched after dropping them off at the post office. The recipient would contact me to let me know.

Every Media Mail package is supposed to be inspected before it is mailed. At the delivery office, if the package doesn't have the inspection sticker attached from the mailing office, the delivery office is required to open the package for inspection. You wouldn't believe how many people are sending car parts, baseball cards, food, and other items by Media Mail. If so many people weren't cheating, the packages wouldn't need to be opened.

As far as the old magazines, the ruling by the USPS mailing requirements office is that vintage magazines, with most of the ads no longer relevant, are eligible for Media Mail rates. Unfortunately, the USPS didn't define a cut-off date. Is it pre-1980? pre 1970? Who knows?

Back to Media Mail. Why does the PO even have this category? It was put in place 100 years ago when the only media around was books. In fact, it was called book rate at the time. The PO loses around $1 on every Media package that is mailed.

homerunderby 03-16-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbradley221 (Post 2075627)
Not sure this is the right place to ask (brand new here) but I’ve been trying to find Spord Collector digest back issues and having a heck of a time finding them anywhere but eBay. Was wondering if anyone here had a direction they could point me; my kid and I have been on the hunt for a while, need some new leads!

This is an awesome forum btw, thanks for any help!

Chris

What are you looking for? I have a ton of them from issue 1, lots of issues (even entire editions) from the late-70's and early 80's. They're fun to look at but entirely impractical for someone in a small apartment. I got rid of many of my late-80's and 90's issues because I couldn't justify paying to move them from the East Coast to the West Coast. Wouldn't mind letting them go for reasonable cost to a loving home.

SCD is a great history of the hobby.