Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mistake Buys... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149266)

scottpt99 03-25-2012 08:43 PM

Mistake Buys...

Anybody have a story like this.

I went to a card show looking for some vintage cards ('53, '55-'57 Topps and '54, '55 Bowman) to work on completing some sets. Found some '57 Topps at one table went to another table and there were some '55 Bowman. I got out my list that I needed, and I found about 5 cards. When I got home I went to mark them off of my checklist (didn't have pen with me, will be taking one next time). Found out I didn't need the '55 Bowmans I bought. When I looked to see what cards I needed I looked at the '57 Topps instead of the '55 Bowman. Guess I have some trade cards for the next time and I will be more careful.

Gr8Beldini 03-26-2012 02:27 PM

I bought a real nice lot of '58's on eBay for what I thought was a real good price. When they arrived they were freakin beautiful. I was very pleased until I turned them over to see small initials written in ink on the reverse. I went back to look at the item description... plain as day the seller described them perfectly - I just missed it. I didn't ask for a refund. My mistake... and the cards are nice.

39special 03-26-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpt99 (Post 978466)
Anybody have a story like this.

I went to a card show looking for some vintage cards ('53, '55-'57 Topps and '54, '55 Bowman) to work on completing some sets. Found some '57 Topps at one table went to another table and there were some '55 Bowman. I got out my list that I needed, and I found about 5 cards. When I got home I went to mark them off of my checklist (didn't have pen with me, will be taking one next time). Found out I didn't need the '55 Bowmans I bought. When I looked to see what cards I needed I looked at the '57 Topps instead of the '55 Bowman. Guess I have some trade cards for the next time and I will be more careful.

I did the same thing at a show last year.I was building '73 & '74 sets and used my '74 list for '73's and bought a bunch of cards I didn't need.I guess
I should have brought my glasses!!

novakjr 03-26-2012 02:56 PM

I was picking up some singles for my 1938 Churchman Boxing set on ebay. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the boxers themselves, and focused more on the numbers. I ended up accidentally buying one of the Churchman "footballers" and one "Kings of Speed" instead. Boy was I surprised when I opened those envelopes... At least the "kings of speed" was Howard Hughes, so it was worth holding onto.

7nohitter 03-26-2012 03:51 PM

I was about 12 and at the Wellfleet Flea Market looking through binders....well, AMAZINGLY the idiot seller was selling two Dean Chance cards for $0.75. I grabbed them as fast as I could...clearly the seller did not realize that chance was wearing a REDS hat on an Indians card (1970).....Fast forward and I was the idiot....didn;t realize the Indians ever wore that style 'C'

Volod 03-26-2012 06:17 PM

The chief took a break

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 978709)
I was about 12 and at the Wellfleet Flea Market looking through binders....well, AMAZINGLY the idiot seller was selling two Dean Chance cards for $0.75. I grabbed them as fast as I could...clearly the seller did not realize that chance was wearing a REDS hat on an Indians card (1970).....Fast forward and I was the idiot....didn;t realize the Indians ever wore that style 'C'

Indians and Reds used near identical red caps from 1967 to 1970, so an easy mistake to make, but you can't fool an honest man.

mintacular 03-27-2012 09:39 AM

Chico

I feel like I've bought '57 Chico Fernandez (tough series) about 10 times. I do a lot of upgrading, etc. so apparently I continue to buy his card and then later sell/trade it. Last I looked I don't have the card (again) and so I guess I need to purchase his card yet again...

ALR-bishop 03-27-2012 01:56 PM

1959 Warren Spahn

Being careless about which ones I had of this ( 3 DOB variations) and the Haywood Sullivan (also 3 variations), I ended up buying extras of the easiest versions of those two cards before accurately running down the tougher 3d variation of each. At least the extra Spahns were disposable, not so much Hayward

jefferyepayne 03-27-2012 02:23 PM

I was at a big card show and running from booth to booth picking up reasonably cheap '50s baseball cards. I was checking my lists but not scratching off the ones I was purchasing, relying instead on my mind to recall which ones I had already purchased that day. As you can probably guess, when I got home I had quite a few duplicates and also had managed to buy one card three times.

Time for some memory exercises.....

jeff

Volod 03-28-2012 08:43 PM

Interesting experiences. I guess the problem would mostly involve making buys at large frenetic card shows, which argues for online or auction buying. When I frequented card shows trying to complete sets, managed to avoid that type of confusion by only using checklists that listed cards I needed, not all cards in the sets. Somewhat easier to do with early Topps and Bowman I guess, since there were generally fewer than 400 per set.