Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vintage connection in today's game (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=76387)

Archive 03-12-2005 11:31 PM

Vintage connection in today's game

Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>It just dawned on me that the two players with the best Yankees memoribilia collections, David Wells and Curt Shilling, are on the Red Sox. For those that don't know, Wells has collects Ruth items and Schilling has a nice Gehrig collection. <br /><br />Schilling bought all my Gehrig wire service phots had. I got to know him playing EverQuest. Had no clue who he was until we started talking baseball one day in game. When Ia sked what his favorite team was, he said it was the Diamondbacks. I said no way, there is no such thing and asked him why. He said he played for them. I asked if he was in the farm system and he just laughed and said he ahdn't been in the minors for over ten years. When told me who he was, I didn't believe him. Sort of jokingly told that if he really was who he said he was that he should me tickets when they play the Giants in SF. Sure enough, I went to will call and there were 2 tickets there for me. That's probably my strangest brush with fame. He said that not only he, but Doug Glanville and a couple of other former Phillies players all played EverQuest.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive 03-13-2005 08:31 AM

Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>I remember Wells going out on the mound to pitch on a Saturday national televised game wearing a strange looking Yankee cap. He pitched in it for just the one inning..The cap was one of the Babes, Wells had purchased it and tried to slide it by Joe Torre. Once he noticed it, it was gone from the game.

Archive 03-13-2005 09:41 AM

Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>who's fatter?? the babe in his final year or david wells now.

Archive 03-13-2005 10:52 AM

Posted By: <b>Cap</b><p>I think you have players that believe that baseball is a job and those who enjoy the history of the game. <br /><br />I think both Schilling and Wells 'get it' and kind find a fascination to the old days of baseball. On a YES baseball show, Wells took you through his personal collection of signed baseballs and he showed off a team ball signed with Josh Gibson, a few scattered Babe Ruth Balls and more. He has them all in cubes and piled to the ceiling in a display. <br /><br />I was talking to a friend of mine who is a baseball player and he was telling me about how he estimates that 30% of the club collects baseball cards and was telling me how one player had just purchased a PSA9 Pete Rose 1963 for like $6K. This player makes $9 Million a year and if you break it down, that's roughly $25K a day (probably less than half that with taxes and agent's cut), but still. <br /><br />Cap<br><br>Well, I quit my job so I could work alone, Then I changed my name to Sherlock Holmes- Bob Dylan.

Archive 03-13-2005 11:06 AM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>One of the guys that works for my wife makes his own games and sold one to Schilling's gaming company. I had no clue that Schilling was in to gaming. He told me that Curt's wife runs the company and that is who he met with when he sold his game.

Archive 03-13-2005 12:06 PM

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>A couple of years ago I saw an inteview of Schilling in his home. He showed the reporter his large baseaball bat collection. If I recall collectly, his favorite was a game used Roberto Clemente.