Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   At least 14 Florida Marlins test + covid (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286620)

Snapolit1 07-27-2020 08:01 AM

At least 14 Florida Marlins test + covid

Team is not playing today. At least 12 players, 2 coaches.

Yankees scheduled to use same clubhouse today.

Should be an interesting day in world of MLB.

packs 07-27-2020 09:01 AM

Yankee game cancelled. I think the responsible thing to do would be to call the season now.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 09:04 AM

Right people that want to work just dont let them work, just stop the season and have all the staff and clubhouse and video departments have no job...even though they want to work..

i think MLB worried Marlins were going to win World Series so someone in clubhouse took care of things

oldjudge 07-27-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003238)
Yankee game cancelled. I think the responsible thing to do would be to call the season now.

Basketball can probably have their season because everyone is in a bubble. Unfortunately, with travel and hotels and no social distancing I don't think baseball (or football) works. I agree that before more players get sick and infect others the season should be cancelled. It's unfortunate, but necessary.

Republicaninmass 07-27-2020 09:27 AM

This seems a little odd. Were they all asymptomatic? I mean if you feel a little ill in this day and age, might want to take a few precautions.

packs 07-27-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003239)
Right people that want to work just dont let them work, just stop the season and have all the staff and clubhouse and video departments have no job...even though they want to work..

i think MLB worried Marlins were going to win World Series so someone in clubhouse took care of things

How does what you want come into play when you're talking about a virus you have no control over. It's not like everyone returned to run concession stands or parking. What is the difference?

rjackson44 07-27-2020 09:46 AM

Hi steve this is crazy end the season

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003249)
How does what you want come into play when you're talking about a virus you have no control over. It's not like everyone returned to run concession stands or parking. What is the difference?

Not what i want...its what THEY want, free country, if the government doesnt shut it down, restaurants are still open, so are department stores.....people work in many places in which they come home to high density housing..

if they want to play play so bi it..plus there are lot more jobs that just concession and parking at risk......i think they will need another breakout before contemplate another season

and to address another posters point, the players are most likely asymptomatic..

its not going to be a 'real' championship....all hands on deck! A lot of minor league players who never would of had a chance to play MLB are getting that chance this year....you will see years from now a lot of MLB players who only played 98% or more of their MLB career in 2020.

Florida covid positivity rate is at 11% right now that last few days..if in a week or so its in single digits....it would be getting close to 5% which most experts agree you can have an open economy at that point....

packs 07-27-2020 09:55 AM

Why is it important to note they're asymptomatic? That has nothing to do with your ability to spread the virus to someone who isn't. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Snapolit1 07-27-2020 09:55 AM

Whole season just seems forced and unnecessary. And that was my opinion a month ago. Doesn’t feel like a real season at all. And I think it sends a
Message to kids in little league, college ball, etc. that athletes don’t need to follow the rules that are being articulated. Players not even following the safety protocols their union fought for. Went to a little league game last week and hardly a mask in view
Anywhere.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003253)
Why is it important to note they're asymptomatic? That has nothing to do with your ability to spread the virus to someone who isn't. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

The point was that they didnt know they were sick the poster seems to think that the players who were sick should of let people know, my point is they probably didnt know they were sick ..

packs 07-27-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003255)
The point was that they didnt know they were sick the poster seems to think that the players who were sick should of let people know, my point is they probably didnt know they were sick ..

That's not true though. Three Marlins tested positive before Sunday's game and the team as a whole still decided to play, which resulted in another 11 tests.

The Marlins did not consult the Phillies about their decision.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003256)
That's not true though. Three Marlins tested positive before Sunday's game and the team as a whole still decided to play, which resulted in another 11 tests.

The Marlins did not consult the Phillies about their decision.

Right we already knew about those 3., we are now talking about the ones that were not removed from playing yesterday...they may not have been symptomatic is the point..

packs 07-27-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003257)
Right we already knew about those 3., we are now talking about the ones that were not removed from playing yesterday...they may not have been symptomatic is the point..

No, I think the point is the Phillies probably wouldn't have played in the game if they knew the Marlins were contending with a possible outbreak in their clubhouse. I think the secondary point is the Marlins should not have played a game knowing they were potentially dealing with an outbreak in their clubhouse.

ibuysportsephemera 07-27-2020 10:09 AM

To some extent the players have themselves to blame. I watched parts of all 3 of the Mets games and I can tell you that social distancing at times was a joke (and contact could have been avoided).

Jeff

earlywynnfan 07-27-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2003254)
Whole season just seems forced and unnecessary. And that was my opinion a month ago. Doesn’t feel like a real season at all. And I think it sends a
Message to kids in little league, college ball, etc. that athletes don’t need to follow the rules that are being articulated. Players not even following the safety protocols their union fought for. Went to a little league game last week and hardly a mask in view
Anywhere.

The little league and travel team games around here have been going for a while, they started while the MLB was still fighting with itself. No masks anywhere around then or now.

bxb 07-27-2020 10:36 AM

The NFL will have an even bigger problem than baseball with physical proximity and body secretions.

tschock 07-27-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 2003271)
The little league and travel team games around here have been going for a while, they started while the MLB was still fighting with itself. No masks anywhere around then or now.

Finally, a ray of sanity. Just curious though. Where is "around here"?

insidethewrapper 07-27-2020 10:45 AM

Same here, little league etc are playing but the Major Leagues need to shut down ? I thought this is why the rosters were expanded ! If players got sick from the virus the additional players would step in from their pratice facilities. If you test positive leave the team for 14 days and get a negative test before you return and let the rest of the players play. Again the players are not wearing masks in the dugout and not practicing social distancing.

36GoudeyMan 07-27-2020 10:57 AM

This is diffferent

This is not about freedom to work; its about freedom from involuntary exposure to a potential lethal pathogen. I don't care if someone wants to work in their basement. I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else. I watched the Nationals games. Repeated non-mask wearing, physical contact, no social distancing, and that affects the players AND the staff, clubhouse staff, dugout staff, media, etc., etc. It also affects and puts at risk people in hotels, airports, and anywhere the players go or gather for any reason (see Clippers’ Lou Williams story). I admit I'm a flaming liberal, but here I am pro-life -- mine, yours, our families, and our neighbors. There is NO good reason, except entertainment, for this dangerous environment to host sports in the manner MLB has chosen. The season is an illegitimate joke anyway. Why risk players' health, their families health, and their organizations and communities' health?

Exhibitman 07-27-2020 11:11 AM

You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.

tschock 07-27-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan (Post 2003285)
I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else.

Those people have the right to remain in their bunker, which is still probably a non-zero potential.

earlywynnfan 07-27-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tschock (Post 2003277)
Finally, a ray of sanity. Just curious though. Where is "around here"?

I'm in Cleveland, and I don't consider groups of people getting together like this to be particularly smart.

Bugsy 07-27-2020 11:39 AM

I wish they would just end the season. Players opting out, others in quarantine for two weeks at a time, short schedule, half the teams get a playoff seed...if my team won it all this year, I wouldn't consider them a World Series winner. I would rather everyone stay healthy than continue this farce.

Republicaninmass 07-27-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003253)

If this percentage of their roster has it, and was asymptomatic, a heck of a lot more of MLB may have it and are asymptomatic. At what point do we let them play? When not a single person tests positive after then how many days?

Try to have a post you dont edit, I did see one this thread! One post at a time my friend.

D. Bergin 07-27-2020 12:23 PM

To think Clint Frazier was called a sheep for wearing a mask during game play.

He was rewarded by being sent back down to the training facility after two games and no game play.

I used to think he was a bit of a knucklehead, but it turns out he's the smartest player on that team.

KMayUSA6060 07-27-2020 12:35 PM

MLB has been playing without the Marlins for the majority of the time since basically 2004. Just continue the season.

They expanded the rosters for a reason. Many flu outbreaks have occurred over the years and the MLB didn't shut the season down. Those who didn't want to "risk" getting COVID-19 had the option to opt out. Those who were ok with the "risk" are playing. So Play Ball.

Rhotchkiss 07-27-2020 12:41 PM

I don't know (and will not opine on) whether baseball, or any other sport, should be played this year. But I do know this thread has the making of a massive train wreck. The discussion will 1000% devolve into fighting and politics.

I am claiming "I told you so now". Boy will this be a good read (unfortunately).

Lorewalker 07-27-2020 12:47 PM

I say call the season out of an abundance of caution. I "watched" a game. Not sure much will be lost. As mentioned the fan noise back track and the cardboard cuts out is a bit too artificial for my taste. Players did not seem to be that into it either. Just another cost to outlasting the pandemic.

Anyone know what the TV ratings have been for the games that have been played?

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan (Post 2003285)
This is not about freedom to work; its about freedom from involuntary exposure to a potential lethal pathogen. I don't care if someone wants to work in their basement. I care if someone wants to work in a physical space that has any non-zero potential to kill someone else. I watched the Nationals games. Repeated non-mask wearing, physical contact, no social distancing, and that affects the players AND the staff, clubhouse staff, dugout staff, media, etc., etc. It also affects and puts at risk people in hotels, airports, and anywhere the players go or gather for any reason (see Clippers’ Lou Williams story). I admit I'm a flaming liberal, but here I am pro-life -- mine, yours, our families, and our neighbors. There is NO good reason, except entertainment, for this dangerous environment to host sports in the manner MLB has chosen. The season is an illegitimate joke anyway. Why risk players' health, their families health, and their organizations and communities' health?

Got news for you, we likely will be living with Covid next year as well maybe even years later. Will always be non-zero death potential for years to come. 20-30% of people are not going to get a vaccine. By the way some people die when having a vaccine, its not a non-zero potential thing to do as well

There are people dying of heart disease and cancer that would of been saved had there not been a shut down.

A high percentage of the Covid deaths occurred in nursing homes.. Theres a reason Florida has far less death than New York even though there were more infections in Florida

Driving a car to look around for no apparent reason has zero benefit but there is not non-zero potential of death..

You guys need to stop taking all your news from just CNN...

Football risk of head injury is far worse then Covid risk in terms of health down the line...they didnt cancel football forever...

packs 07-27-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2003304)
If this percentage of their roster has it, and was asymptomatic, a heck of a lot more of MLB may have it and are asymptomatic. At what point do we let them play? When not a single person tests positive after then how many days?

Try to have a post you dont edit, I did see one this thread! One post at a time my friend.

Being asymptomatic does not mean you can't transmit the virus to someone who doesn't have it. You will test positive for the virus when you're asymptomatic. I really don't know what you're suggesting when you say let asymptomatic players cohabitate with people who don't have the virus at all.

cannonballsun 07-27-2020 12:50 PM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2003319)
I don't know (and will not opine on) whether baseball, or any other sport, should be played this year. But I do know this thread has the making of a massive train wreck. The discussion will 1000% devolve into fighting and politics.

I am claiming "I told you so now". Boy will this be a good read (unfortunately).

+1

Republicaninmass 07-27-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2003322)
Being asymptomatic does not mean you can't transmit the virus to someone who doesn't have it. You will test positive for the virus when you're asymptomatic. I really don't know what you're suggesting when you say let asymptomatic players cohabitate with people who don't have the virus at all.

Now you are lying. I didnt say let them play once theyve been tested. I said probably many more havent been tested that are asymptomatic. Please stop the insinuations as you will have to edit even more of your posts.

In peoples humble opinion, How long do we keep mlb cancelled? Until not a single player test positive for how many days? What if MLB players are immune to these novel virus symptoms, but older coaches and owners and ones with comorbidities are?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

packs 07-27-2020 01:01 PM

I thought you were suggesting it was safe for asymptomatic players to play. Sorry for misunderstanding.

MLB policy is that if a player tests positive the player has to test negative twice 24 hours apart and have no fever for 72 hours before they can become active again.

packs 07-27-2020 01:08 PM

I guess a number thresh hold would be when a team can no longer field a team under the policy guidelines. But that's probably only if numbers are the sole determination.

bbcard1 07-27-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2003244)
Basketball can probably have their season because everyone is in a bubble. Unfortunately, with travel and hotels and no social distancing I don't think baseball (or football) works. I agree that before more players get sick and infect others the season should be cancelled. It's unfortunate, but necessary.

The only places MLB could have "bubbled" are hot spots...AZ and Florida. I have a close friend who lost his father to COVID this weekend. His pop was only 55 and had no underlying health conditions.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 2003331)
The only places MLB could have "bubbled" are hot spots...AZ and Florida. I have a close friend who lost his father to COVID this weekend. His pop was only 55 and had no underlying health conditions.

I really think today is the low point in MLB in terms of Covid...you will see when we look back when in September it worked out...

oldjudge 07-27-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003252)
Not what i want...its what THEY want, free country, if the government doesnt shut it down, restaurants are still open, so are department stores.....people work in many places in which they come home to high density housing..

if they want to play play so bi it..plus there are lot more jobs that just concession and parking at risk......i think they will need another breakout before contemplate another season

and to address another posters point, the players are most likely asymptomatic..

its not going to be a 'real' championship....all hands on deck! A lot of minor league players who never would of had a chance to play MLB are getting that chance this year....you will see years from now a lot of MLB players who only played 98% or more of their MLB career in 2020.

Florida covid positivity rate is at 11% right now that last few days..if in a week or so its in single digits....it would be getting close to 5% which most experts agree you can have an open economy at that point....

It’s not a free country, Jake. There are laws to restrict freedoms for the public good. The public good would be served if baseball was shut down before these teams travel around the country infecting as they go.

oldjudge 07-27-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003333)
I really think today is the low point in MLB in terms of Covid...you will see when we look back when in September it worked out...

And if it isn’t—it’s not worth the risk.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2003357)
It’s not a free country, Jake. There are laws to restrict freedoms for the public good. The public good would be served if baseball was shut down before these teams travel around the country infecting as they go.

so do many other groups of people but at least in baseball they are getting tests almost daily and have a bunch of money tied into keeping people safe..at least a lot better than the other groups of people that would be on the similar flights as them or people using public transportation.

the risks are very low.....shutting down things can also be deemed against the public good and the public good can be argued to being better served as not shutting things down.....its not all in a vacuum.

They allow group social protesting right..thats considered much bigger than the pandemic (according to health experts on CNN at least) ..too me if there are other things more important than the pandemic than dont really need to get into the public good argument about some ballplayers..

iwantitiwinit 07-27-2020 02:54 PM

If the rule were simply wear masks when u are away from home regardless of your occupation things would be different. Until that is implemented I doubt very seriously that any endeavor to revert to "normalcy" will succeed. Just wear a mask!!

JollyElm 07-27-2020 02:59 PM

Were the season to continue, I would simply have my catcher repeatedly cough and sneeze and blow his nose. No batter would want to get anywhere near the plate, and thus...

5.04 (b) (6.02) The Batter’s Box
(3) If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out.

You'd be able to toss a perfect game without ever throwing a single pitch.

Leon 07-27-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2003292)
You know, there's a really, really good argument for going on regardless of how many get sick and are sidelined--on a battlefield. The baseball park ain't a battlefield and the a sports season isn't a war. I would love to see sports resume but not at the cost of getting people sick. And these are meaningless exhibition games in the biggest asterisk season ever. Canned crowd noises and cutouts in the stands? What a joke. I guess to complete the synthetic experience if I decide to watch a game I should park my car a mile from my house and tuck a $20 under the wiper blade, then eat a bad hot dog and flush $10 down the toilet. And since I am in Los Angeles, find someone to beat the crap out of me in a parking lot.

That's funny.. I will tip the waitress on the way out. :cool:

Personally, I think wearing face masks isn't political or about rights. It's common sense to wear one. I could hurt others by not wearing one. I will make the sacrifice of the little bit of discomfort until there is a vaccine or cure.( though we don't have a cure for the common cold yet)

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 03:08 PM

So what if its not a normal season

You know in 1981 the the top 2 NL teams with the overall best record in the entire league didnt make the playoffs. teams played a different number of games for the season as well

"They had the best overall record in all of baseball. That was the Cincinnati Reds, who went 66-42 overall but did not make the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals, by the way, had the second-best overall record in the NL — 59-43 — and didn’t make the playoffs either. The Orioles had the same number of overall wins as the Yankees but had two fewer losses due to an uneven number of games played, yet they stayed home in October too. The Tigers had one more win than both of them"

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..

mr2686 07-27-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2003254)
And I think it sends a
Message to kids in little league, college ball, etc. that athletes don’t need to follow the rules that are being articulated.

I think that ship sailed long ago. LOL

Cliff Bowman 07-27-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 2003368)

Also there was a team in the 1970s that missed the playoffs by 1/2 game and played one less game then the team in front of them..

I never knew that about the 1972 Red Sox, they got screwed. I wonder if the strike had anything to do with that decision and MLB was pressed for time and didn’t want to delay the playoffs with two more possible games. ETA: after reading up on it, Bowie Kuhn said that absolutely no games lost to the strike would be made up after the matter was settled, and the Red Sox had a 1 1/2 game lead with four games left in the season including a winner take all three game series to end the season in Detroit. The Red Sox lost to the Orioles on a Sunday, lost two straight in Detroit on Monday and Tuesday to be eliminated, and then only winning the meaningless finale in Detroit.

1952boyntoncollector 07-27-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2003381)
I never knew that about the 1972 Red Sox, they got screwed. I wonder if the strike had anything to do with that decision and MLB was pressed for time and didn’t want to delay the playoffs with two more possible games.

I cant imagine that do that now but just making a point that there are many traditions broken so who cares if this 2020 Covid year is all mixed up...there have been prior mixed up years with things people wouldnt stand for now and all within our lifetimes.

bmattioli 07-27-2020 04:21 PM

MLB tried although it might fail. I hate this Virus as most do.

Shoeless Moe 07-27-2020 04:21 PM

I've been coaching little league kids since end of May ZERO problems.

In Illinois Sunday 1 Covid death - a 90 year old man. No offense but 90!!!! Please.

Shut the world down, because someone dies from a disease.

PATHETIC!

Play ball!

Shut everything down until every person on Earth is safe. What a joke!

Oh no a few healthy 20 years olds tested Positive oh no Shut the season down. Everyone back to their basements.

IDIOTS!!!

Fred 07-27-2020 05:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcmwPYCUysw

This whole year is pointless... feel free to pee in my Cheerios if you're offended by that.

What? Nobody enjoys it when the broadcast crew raises the volume on the cheering when the home team hits one over the fence or someone makes a great play?

That was the beauty of baseball - over a long season, things usually "even out" so to speak. IF it lasts 60 games, it'll be interesting to see how it all ends... I'd like nothing more than watching the San Francisco Giants battling it out with the the Kansas City Royals for the WS title.