Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What was your first? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=283815)

edtiques 05-27-2020 05:27 PM

What was your first?

I thought it might be interesting to find out what everyone's first concert was. Mine was The James Montgomery Blues band,Nazareth and Deep Purple in 1973. It was at the Springfield (Ma.) Civic Center and tickets were $5.50 for general admission.

commishbob 05-27-2020 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one, 1967

Attachment 402120

irv 05-27-2020 06:19 PM

Foreigner, and a band called Zon, which opened for them many years ago at Exhibition Place in Toronto during the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition)

2 buds of mine and I went for the rides, games, etc, when we were 17-18 and had no plans to attend a concert but when a scalper spied us and pressured us somewhat, we took him up on it.

For a first concert, it was excellent, and one I'll never forget. Couldn't believe how loud it was.:eek:

earlywynnfan 05-27-2020 07:39 PM

Yes, 90125 tour, little sib's weekend, visiting my cousin at Miami (OH)

statsfax 05-27-2020 07:59 PM

Badfinger and Redbone, Ford Auditorium, Detroit, early 1972 (February or March). Really good show!

Jim65 05-27-2020 08:30 PM

Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult @ Madison Square Garden 1980

Collectorsince62 05-27-2020 10:19 PM

Led Zeppelin. April 11, 1970, Kiel Opera House in St. Louis. A very eye opening experience for a 15-year old who had to bum a ride from a friend since I didn't even have a drivers license yet. We had floor seats but ended up standing on our chairs the whole night. I remember there were long drum and organ solos. They finished the set with an encore - Whole Lotta Love. It was incredible. Still love that song.

NiceDocter 05-27-2020 10:24 PM

Concert

Chicago and the Beach Boys 1974...... and this is when Chicago still had some "nads" before all that soft rock crud that wrecked the band as far as I am concerned.

edtiques 05-27-2020 11:31 PM

As far as Chicago goes,there's a really good concert from them on YouTube from Tanglewood (Lenox Ma.) in 1970. I would have loved to seen this show! They definitely had some nads!
Here's a link to listen to 25 or 6 to 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAUoz7jimg

Here a link to listen to the whole Chicago concert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAoSZ2y1cw

mattsey9 05-28-2020 01:07 AM

Rolling Stones at the Hoosier Dome in 1989.

JollyElm 05-28-2020 02:50 AM

The Police in Buffalo.
Talk about a power trio, the entire concert only had the three of them on stage. No additional musicians, no backup singers, nothing. Every single sound created that night was produced by Sting, Stewart and Andy alone. Truly awesome.

mr2686 05-28-2020 05:39 AM

1976 Kiss at the Los Angeles Forum. Opening act was Bob Seger.

bnorth 05-28-2020 06:30 AM

AC/DC with Queensryche as the opening band. Aug 28 1986 in Sioux Falls SD.

mcgwirecom 05-28-2020 06:01 PM

The Hooters, Santana, The Clash and The Who 9/25/82 Philly

clydepepper 05-28-2020 06:05 PM

Three Dog Night with T.Rex as opening act.

nebboy 05-28-2020 06:19 PM

Johnny Cash @ Nebraska state fair

steve B 05-28-2020 08:59 PM

Foreigner and Billy Squire in the real Boston garden. 81 I think.. Must be because Black Sabbath was the second, and that was the mob rules tour.

Michael B 05-28-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1985207)
Foreigner and Billy Squire in the real Boston garden. 81 I think.. Must be because Black Sabbath was the second, and that was the mob rules tour.

I saw Squier in his first commercial band, Piper. WCOZ sponsored the show at the Orpheum, moved from the Paradise, and the tickets were 94¢ (radio station was 94.5). I bought ten and scalped them to my friends for $1.00. Opening act was The Babys. It was probably 1977. After the show I got up to go out and Roger Taylor from Queen was standing right in front of me. Queen was using the Orpheum to prepare for their 'News of the World' tour. Years later I was talking to Squier at an appearance for his acoustic album and he mentioned that backstage was filled with their gear.

My first show - Elton John's Bicentennial concert July 4, 1976 at Schaeffer Stadium, original home of the NE Patriots in Foxorough. Opening acts were John Miles and I believe Dave Mason. Miles had a minor radio hit at the time with "High Fly". He was bigger in the U.K.

White Borders 05-30-2020 08:08 PM

Crosby, Stills and Nash Daylight Again tour in 1982 at Kemper Arena in Kansas City.

steve B 05-30-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1985213)
I saw Squier in his first commercial band, Piper. WCOZ sponsored the show at the Orpheum, moved from the Paradise, and the tickets were 94¢ (radio station was 94.5). I bought ten and scalped them to my friends for $1.00. Opening act was The Babys. It was probably 1977. After the show I got up to go out and Roger Taylor from Queen was standing right in front of me. Queen was using the Orpheum to prepare for their 'News of the World' tour. Years later I was talking to Squier at an appearance for his acoustic album and he mentioned that backstage was filled with their gear.

My first show - Elton John's Bicentennial concert July 4, 1976 at Schaeffer Stadium, original home of the NE Patriots in Foxorough. Opening acts were John Miles and I believe Dave Mason. Miles had a minor radio hit at the time with "High Fly". He was bigger in the U.K.

I miss COZ... And BCN … and now AAF.. not much left for rock stations.

Michael B 05-31-2020 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1985900)
I miss COZ... And BCN … and now AAF.. not much left for rock stations.

I 'worked' at COZ answering phones for Cindy Bailen. I was working in college radio at the time - WUMB U/Mass Boston. I also worked as a bouncer at Spit when it first opened so I also knew Oedipus and Albert O. Cindy played the mainstream rock, but she was more into punk and new wave. We went to the Dead Kennedys at the Channel in 1980/81. Wildest show I ever went to. So oversold you could not move. We were able to convince the club people to let us stand behind the stage and watch the show. Just as wild from there. I am sure you remember the Channel.

Wihawk 05-31-2020 02:30 PM

Frank Zappa Portland OR, Dec. 9 1972. Beach Boys was my second

steve B 06-01-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1985947)
I 'worked' at COZ answering phones for Cindy Bailen. I was working in college radio at the time - WUMB U/Mass Boston. I also worked as a bouncer at Spit when it first opened so I also knew Oedipus and Albert O. Cindy played the mainstream rock, but she was more into punk and new wave. We went to the Dead Kennedys at the Channel in 1980/81. Wildest show I ever went to. So oversold you could not move. We were able to convince the club people to let us stand behind the stage and watch the show. Just as wild from there. I am sure you remember the Channel.

An old roommate/coworkers brother ran security for the channel for a while.
Offered to put me on the guest list whenever, a connection I only used a couple times. One of them I casually said "I'm guessing with the band being popular there's no chance " "No problem, you want backstage passes?"

Played paintball with the bouncers a few times, they played once, hated the cheating from the other team. So they rented the field as a private party. Loads of fun. It was a bit strange though, most of my friends were computer guys and I was a mechanic so I was a bit stronger. At the paintball games and helping my friend move, I was the smallest guy on the field. Moving went from one group saying "wait for help before you roll the fridge down the ramp " (didn't need help or wait, small fridge already on wheels) To "Oh, Steve you can carry..... this lamp? "

Michael B 06-02-2020 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1986511)
An old roommate/coworkers brother ran security for the channel for a while.
Offered to put me on the guest list whenever, a connection I only used a couple times. One of them I casually said "I'm guessing with the band being popular there's no chance " "No problem, you want backstage passes?"

Played paintball with the bouncers a few times, they played once, hated the cheating from the other team. So they rented the field as a private party. Loads of fun. It was a bit strange though, most of my friends were computer guys and I was a mechanic so I was a bit stronger. At the paintball games and helping my friend move, I was the smallest guy on the field. Moving went from one group saying "wait for help before you roll the fridge down the ramp " (didn't need help or wait, small fridge already on wheels) To "Oh, Steve you can carry..... this lamp? "

I used to go to the Channel to get autographs of the musicians when they walked in. Easiest place ever as there was no other way to go in. I would walk in with the musicians and watch the sound checks - Leslie West, Tubes, Big Audio Dynamite, Rick James, John Entwistle etc. No one ever bothered me because they knew I would hang around, get my items signed and leave. Peter Lembo who managed the Channel, and the Stompers was a good acquaintance of mine. He was a baseball memorabilia/autograph collector. He knew I was one of the few true music autograph collectors in Boston. He also collected music items. He owned one of Elvis's cars. He later managed Matthew's Arena at Northeastern. His brother was an attorney there. Both were Pirates fans.

quinnsryche 06-05-2020 11:45 AM

Sha Na Na when i was about 12 years old. 1st real concert was Journey & Bryan Adams 1983 Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, IL..

cubman1941 06-05-2020 06:00 PM

1958 July 12 Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Wausau, Wisconsin.

mr2686 06-06-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 1987549)
1958 July 12 Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Wausau, Wisconsin.

Wow...only a little less than 7 months before Buddy died. Rave on!!

cubman1941 06-06-2020 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1987610)
Wow...only a little less than 7 months before Buddy died. Rave on!!

He was, and remains, my favorite.

2dueces 06-06-2020 07:33 AM

As a teen in Buffalo in the 70’s all the bands came through there from nyc to other venues. I made a list of the concerts I saw and bands and the list was over 100 bands long. Honestly cannot remember my first but in the summer of 73’s three stand out. June. Pink Floyd DSOTM. July Led Zeppelin. August Jethro Tull A passion play. Too, too many others to list. I may be old but I saw all the great bands.

Jamie_h 06-06-2020 02:24 PM

Rick Springfield with 'Til Tuesday...

clydepepper 06-06-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wihawk (Post 1986083)
Frank Zappa Portland OR, Dec. 9 1972. Beach Boys was my second

That (Zappa) had to be awesome!

That was the most impressive 'first' I've read until...

Jim seeing Buddy Holly in 1958!!!

Either experience dwarfs anything I've experienced. WOW!!

cubman1941 06-06-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1987788)

The thing about seeing Buddy Holly was i didn't really go to see him, it was just that a girl I wanted to see was going to be there. However, after seeing Buddy and the Crickets, he became my favorite never to be replaced. Incidentally the girl was there and we did go on a date:>}

clydepepper 06-06-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 1987803)
The thing about seeing Buddy Holly was i didn't really go to see him, it was just that a girl I wanted to see was going to be there. However, after seeing Buddy and the Crickets, he became my favorite never to be replaced. Incidentally the girl was there and we did go on a date:>}

It's ALWAYS about a girl...

Michael B 06-06-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie_h (Post 1987742)

I saw Aimee Mann (singer of 'Til Tuesday) in her first band Young Snakes. They were a new wave/punk band in Boston. I saw them play in the WBCN Rock and Roll Rumble in 1981. I was working security at Spit, the club that held all of the preliminary nights. Interestingly the semi-finalists were Young Snakes and Face to Face. Face to Face eventually got a national contract and airplay ('10-9-8). Their lead guitar player became a member of Bob Dylan's touring band.
Aimee Mann found fame with 'Til Tuesday. One of the prelim bands that did not advance was Tennie Komar and the Silencers. In the late 90's and early 2000's I would see Tennie all of the time as she did the same type of legal research I did. I was probably the only person who knew she was a rock singer.

Jamie_h 06-06-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1987868)
I saw Aimee Mann (singer of 'Til Tuesday) in her first band Young Snakes. They were a new wave/punk band in Boston. I saw them play in the WBCN Rock and Roll Rumble in 1981. I was working security at Spit, the club that held all of the preliminary nights. Interestingly the semi-finalists were Young Snakes and Face to Face. Face to Face eventually got a national contract and airplay ('10-9-8). Their lead guitar player became a member of Bob Dylan's touring band.
Aimee Mann found fame with 'Til Tuesday. One of the prelim bands that did not advance was Tennie Komar and the Silencers. In the late 90's and early 2000's I would see Tennie all of the time as she did the same type of legal research I did. I was probably the only person who knew she was a rock singer.

Very cool story!!

JollyElm 06-06-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie_h (Post 1987742)

We saw Rick Springfield at the huge Alameda County Fair (which has been Covid cancelled this year) a few years ago. It was hilarious how much of an entertaining cheeseball he was and how everyone ate it up. Suddenly strumming his guitar with a bouquet of roses and all sorts of other things. Up front in the audience were countless women reliving their 1980's love for him, and shaking what they got. I turned to my girlfriend and said, "When 'Don't Talk To Strangers' was a hit, they were probably throwing their panties on stage. Now I'm afraid they're going to hurl their Depends up there!!"

todeen 06-07-2020 01:32 AM

Well, mine I believe will be the first country music act. I saw George Strait in Billings, MT in 1990 or 1991. He played there both years, and in my memory I thought I saw him twice. So it's completely possible. I would have been 4 and 5 yrs old. I believe a picture of my sister being lifted up by a security guard to put a rose onstage was printed in the local paper.

In 1995, 1996, and 1997 my father was in charge of putting together the Marlboro Music acts at the Billings County Fair. Lineups brought in Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Brooks and Dunn, Merle Hagfard, Little Texas, Diamond Rio, and REO Speedwagon among others. Those were memories of a lifetime. And to think my dad was in charge of one of the most popular events in Billings is still pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

earlywynnfan 06-07-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1987862)
It's ALWAYS about a girl...

Exactly how I found myself at a Kenny G concert one time...

mr2686 06-07-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1987925)
Exactly how I found myself at a Kenny G concert one time...

OMG!...I hope it was worth it. LOL

Wihawk 06-08-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1987788)

It was awesome, A friend and I loved the at the time risque Just Another Band from LA and Live at the Fillmore albums, magical stuff for 13 year olds. We were almost folk heroes in junior high that year because our parents let us attend.
I saw Zappa one more time during his Joe's Garage Tour.