Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is "Biggest" Card that has changed hands here on Net54? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=338767)

Seven 08-05-2023 12:55 PM

What is "Biggest" Card that has changed hands here on Net54?

The thought struck me very recently, and I had to ask. We see some absolute gems posted on the forum all the time for sale. Rare issues, rare backs, pre-war, post war, so many incredible cards grace the forum with their presence, for sale. That being said, what would many of you consider to be the "biggest" card in terms of value or rarity that has changed hands, here on Net54? I've seen 1952 Topps Mantle's listed, but that card is pretty common, and readily available assuming you have the money for it. Looking forward to the posts to follow and as a bonus if you could link the thread where the card was sold, please do.

bnorth 08-05-2023 01:12 PM

Nothing special for me. The biggest 2 are a T206 Red Cobb and a 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews rookie. They both come from fellow members and both went to fellow members.

scooter729 08-05-2023 01:58 PM

I've mentioned this one recently, but the one that keeps haunting me is when I tried to sell a 1958 Pele Alifabolaget PSA 9 soccer card on here around 2014-15 for $5,000. Not even a nibble. I ended up selling it elsewhere and got the $5,000 price, which I was told was the highest price ever for a soccer card at the time.

It resold a few times in the years that followed, jumping exponentially each time. Last sale was a year ago, for $1.3M. Ouch.

And ouch to all of you who were around then, for missing the boat when I posted it 8-9 years ago!

Peter_Spaeth 08-05-2023 02:40 PM

Epic.

maniac_73 08-05-2023 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 2361942)
I've mentioned this one recently, but the one that keeps haunting me is when I tried to sell a 1958 Pele Alifabolaget PSA 9 soccer card on here around 2014-15 for $5,000. Not even a nibble. I ended up selling it elsewhere and got the $5,000 price, which I was told was the highest price ever for a soccer card at the time.

It resold a few times in the years that followed, jumping exponentially each time. Last sale was a year ago, for $1.3M. Ouch.

And ouch to all of you who were around then, for missing the boat when I posted it 8-9 years ago!

Hell of a story! Also OUCH lol

Rhotchkiss 08-05-2023 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2361956)
Hell of a story! Also OUCH lol

Yikes!

I am not sure the biggest/most expensive card I bought or sold off BST (done plenty of $20k+ deals as buyer and seller), but I have done huge deals privately with people I met on net54, including buying a t206 Wagner and Doyle from a board member. That said, assuming you mean specifically a deal posted on BST, I have no doubt there have been a couple 6 figure deals, but I doubt seven figures on BST. I feel 5 figure deals are common place now (several per month), and I don’t know what can be bought for less than 4 figures nowadays, on BST or anywhere else. Recently I sold several t206 brown old mills for $22k per card.

2dueces 08-05-2023 04:13 PM

I’m pretty sure Hal’s Wagner changed hands indirectly here.
Leon might chime in on this.

Seven 08-05-2023 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2361963)
Yikes!

I am not sure the biggest/most expensive card I bought or sold off BST (done plenty of $20k+ deals as buyer and seller), but I have done huge deals privately with people I met on net54, including buying a t206 Wagner and Doyle from a board member. That said, assuming you mean specifically a deal posted on BST, I have no doubt there have been a couple 6 figure deals, but I doubt seven figures on BST. I feel 5 figure deals are common place now (several per month), and I don’t know what can be bought for less than 4 figures nowadays, on BST or anywhere else. Recently I sold several t206 brown old mills for $22k per card.

I think, for this discussion we could encompass deals with people we've met through the forum.

Casey2296 08-05-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2361976)
I think, for this discussion we could encompass deals with people we've met through the forum.

My guess would be Ryan's Wagner.

Although y'all did have a chance at the Nun's Wagner at a discount but nobody would take poor Andrew(?) seriously.

bnorth 08-05-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2361963)
Yikes!

There are countless amazing items that can be purchased for way less than 4 figures.:)

Peter_Spaeth 08-05-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2361996)
There are countless amazing items that can be purchased for way less than 4 figures.:)

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. :)

Lorewalker 08-05-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

I dunno...it seems we have been told that greatness starts with at least 6 figures.

Rhotchkiss 08-05-2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

True enough. I only collect prewar (WWII) HOFers, and I feel nowadays most of those cards, even beaters, are over $1000. But point taken.

Seven 08-05-2023 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2361987)
My guess would be Ryan's Wagner.

Although y'all did have a chance at the Nun's Wagner at a discount but nobody would take poor Andrew(?) seriously.

Someone pull up the photoshopped image, that thread was a goldmine!

Eric72 08-05-2023 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 2362021)
Someone pull up the photoshopped image, that thread was a goldmine!

Ask and ye shall receive

NiceDocter 08-05-2023 11:06 PM

Dont ask Dont Tell

Most "big" transactions done through contacts here are not publicized for many reasons (taxes, security, privacy) ..... jus sayin. Thats only my opinion but I would think its true.....

JustinD 08-06-2023 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2362057)
Most "big" transactions done through contacts here are not publicized for many reasons (taxes, security, privacy) ..... jus sayin. Thats only my opinion but I would think its true.....

Bingo.

I know of several big cards that avoided the auction house between members. Ryan’s being the largest in recent memory and since he brought it up, I feel ok mentioning. Perhaps others will add in, but for many reasons I will leave it to them. ;)

Snapolit1 08-06-2023 06:21 AM

I’ve listed stuff on BST that didn’t get the slightest whiff of interest that exploded in value a year or two later. Board members often act like they are these completely rational actors. Truth is people love the rush of auctions. Until someone else says they want something often time it doesn’t seem that attractive.

mrreality68 08-06-2023 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2362092)
I’ve listed stuff on BST that didn’t get the slightest whiff of interest that exploded in value a year or two later. Board members often act like they are these completely rational actors. Truth is people love the rush of auctions. Until someone else says they want something often time it doesn’t seem that attractive.

Steve very good point

also agree alot of transaction are kept quiet by many board members and may members have great collections that many/most of us have not seen the full extent of their extensive collection.

But I believe to what I know as previously mentioned Ryan's Wagner is the biggest thru the net54 contacts