Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay buys Goldin (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=348119)

Snowman 04-06-2024 02:49 AM

eBay buys Goldin

Rumor is that eBay is buying Goldin! That's wild. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming!

rjackson44 04-06-2024 06:02 AM

I have a beach house near ken at the jersey shore ,,I’ll have him buy me a steak ..

Jay Wolt 04-06-2024 06:20 AM

Thought that PSA had purchased Goldin awhile ago
So PSA sold Goldin to ebay?
Hard to keep up w/ the high finance hobby of ours

rjackson44 04-06-2024 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 2424745)

Jay lol your right

LEHR 04-06-2024 06:52 AM

Should this have been posted on April 1st?

But in all seriousness, nothing in this hobby surprises me anymore so who knows.

Mark17 04-06-2024 07:25 AM

jingram058 04-06-2024 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 2424745)

It's no hobby.

sportscardpete 04-06-2024 07:50 AM

It is interesting because eBay generally acquires companies without any intention of integrating operations. However, I can imagine acquiring Goldin gives them a more targeted customer list and the ability to touch the high-end market.

I am more surprised another non-sport auction house didn’t acquire them.

Leon 04-06-2024 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424727)
Rumor is that eBay is buying Goldin! That's wild. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming!

Where did this rumor come from?

bnorth 04-06-2024 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2424781)
Where did this rumor come from?

The OP has been suggesting it for some time.

pawpawdiv9 04-06-2024 08:45 AM

I found some info on Blowout:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1581750
Go to post #18

Peter_Spaeth 04-06-2024 08:48 AM

If true, one wonders what went south from PSA's perspective and why Nat and his partners made this move. The speculation is not new, although I can't recall if Travis was the only previous source.

Leon 04-06-2024 09:05 AM

Why would they buy an auction company? That seems completely out of the norm. I would be surprised but I have been surprised before. I just can't imagine what they would do with it if they bought it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2424788)
If true, one wonders what went south from PSA's perspective and why Nat and his partners made this move. The speculation is not new, although I can't recall if Travis was the only previous source.

Hankphenom 04-06-2024 09:39 AM

Then they'll both get gobbled up by Fanatics, which will be acquired by Musk.

D. Bergin 04-06-2024 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:

Fred 04-06-2024 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2424765)
It's no hobby.

Aint that the truth

Snowman 04-06-2024 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2424788)

To clarify, I don't have any actual inside knowledge of the deal. I'm just parroting what I heard from some friends in the hobby yesterday. Supposedly an announcement will be made on Monday. I guess we'll see if that comes to fruition or not. When I said it back at the beginning of March I was just making a prediction based on what I know about how ebay operates and where their interests lie. I know a lot of people at ebay, some high up, but I haven't spoken to any of them about it, and even if I tried, they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell me anything.

Lorewalker 04-06-2024 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424814)
When I said it back at the beginning of March I was just making a prediction based on what I know about how ebay operates and where their interests lie. I know a lot of people at ebay, some high up, but I haven't spoken to any of them about it, and even if I tried, they wouldn't be stupid enough to tell me anything.

Stop Travis...this is absurd. I know 2 massive sellers on eBay who have no idea how ebay operates nor where there interests lie and they are doing tens of millions a year on the site.

PWCC is a better fit for eBay than Goldin and as you told us PWCC was booted not due to shill bidding but because they had their own platform...the same platform that Goldin has because he was in direct competition with PWCC.

Next, Nat has been trying to get rid of Goldin for quite sometime and rumors have swirled for at least a year.

G1911 04-06-2024 11:26 AM

So the source is this dudes anonymous friends having a discussion. Why is the thread title an absolute statement?

Perhaps it will become true, perhaps it will not. This title appears to be blatantly fake news though.

Republicaninmass 04-06-2024 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2424816)
Stop Travis...this is absurd. I know 2 massive sellers on eBay who have no idea how ebay operates nor where there interests lie and they are doing tens of millions a year on the site.

PWCC is a better fit for eBay than Goldin and as you told us PWCC was booted not due to shill bidding but because they had their own platform...the same platform that Goldin has because he was in direct competition with PWCC.

Next, Nat has been trying to get rid of Goldin for quite sometime and rumors have swirled for at least a year.

Well greg morris has a new marketplace. Guess they will be kicked off ebay as well....not

Leon 04-06-2024 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2424826)
Well greg morris has a new marketplace. Guess they will be kicked off ebay as well....not

Let's not forget this ebay quote from the news back in '21

"In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings. At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.

“Recently it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in ‘shill bidding,’ which is prohibited on eBay,” the statement claimed. "

Lorewalker 04-06-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2424866)
Let's not forget this ebay quote from the news back in '21

"In a message sent to customers who have done business with PWCC Marketplace, eBay indicated it had “restricted” PWCC’s selling privileges and listings. At issue, according to the statement from eBay, is shill bidding–the practice of placing bids on an item in an effort to increase its selling price.

“Recently it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in ‘shill bidding,’ which is prohibited on eBay,” the statement claimed. "

Here is a copy and paste of that email they sent out to every member who has bid with PWCC.

"As one of the world’s largest marketplaces, eBay has policies in place to protect our buyers and sellers. eBay was founded on trust, and we work every day to ensure a fair and positive experience for the entire eBay community.
Recently, it was determined that individuals associated with a trading card seller, PWCC, have engaged in “shill bidding,” which is prohibited on eBay. As a result, eBay has restricted PWCC’s selling privileges and listings, effective today. eBay’s policies and standards were designed to ensure a trusted marketplace where our community can transact with confidence. If we determine that a buyer or seller is not acting in good faith, eBay takes this seriously and takes action. Our customer service team will work directly with anyone who has a question about a recent PWCC transaction [link].

eBay is the destination for buying and selling trading cards - built over 25 years with our passionate community of collectors and sellers, as partners, on that journey. Trust is the cornerstone of eBay, which is why we felt it was important to share this information with our community. We assure you that eBay will continue to take actions to deliver on our commitment.

eBay sent this e mail to you at XX about your account registered on eBay.com.

eBay will periodically send required e mails to you about the site and your transactions. Visit our Privacy Notice and User Agreement if you have any questions."

Been talked about at length but no company is going to expose themselves to a libel suit by going so far out of their way to accuse someone in this fashion unless they have all the evidence they need. Why eBay picked that time to do it is a whole other discussion but for one to say they know eBay made this statement because eBay was upset with PWCC for having their own site is...silly...well worse than that but let's stick with silly.

SyrNy1960 04-06-2024 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2424727)

I hope GameUsedUniverse website was part of the deal 🤣 I hate seeing that website sitting there inactive. Such a waste. It was the only game used website. Miss interacting with so many of those guys 🥲

Rich Klein 04-06-2024 07:23 PM

I will remind everyone

That a couple of years ago the big hobby story going around was Panini being purchased/gobbled up by Fanatics.

That was going to be announced at the Industry Summit.

Both companies are still separate

If and when this becomes fact, we'll talk

Rich

MGHPro 04-06-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 (Post 2424936)
I hope GameUsedUniverse website was part of the deal 🤣 I hate seeing that website sitting there inactive. Such a waste. It was the only game used website. Miss interacting with so many of those guys 🥲

It was a good site .

perezfan 04-06-2024 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGHPro (Post 2424950)
It was a good site .

I miss it too. :mad:

Brian Van Horn 04-06-2024 10:00 PM

If this is true a few alarm bells with eBay diversifying this way.

maniac_73 04-06-2024 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 (Post 2424936)

Ive tried reaching out to possibly purchase it numerous times but all I get is crickets.

Mark17 04-07-2024 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2424992)
Ive tried reaching out to possibly purchase it numerous times but all I get is crickets.

I realize the archived info is very valuable, but couldn't a new site, similar in structure, be created? Then invite as many members of the old site that we can remember. If you could get Hillerich, Grob, Specht to join and be active, that would be a great start. I'll bet once word got out that a new GUU was up and running, and the above-named stars were members, within a year you'd have a vibrant community.

Leon 04-07-2024 08:08 AM

I am just curious, is there some reason that the memorabilia side of this forum can't do that? It can be broken down into multiple sections...as the autograph section was done.

And I wouldn't be opposed to having a game used person run that section either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2425017)
I realize the archived info is very valuable, but couldn't a new site, similar in structure, be created? Then invite as many members of the old site that we can remember. If you could get Hillerich, Grob, Specht to join and be active, that would be a great start. I'll bet once word got out that a new GUU was up and running, and the above-named stars were members, within a year you'd have a vibrant community.

SyrNy1960 04-07-2024 08:58 AM

Quote:

Great idea!

SyrNy1960 04-07-2024 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2425021)
I am just curious, is there some reason that the memorabilia side of this forum can't do that? It can be broken down into multiple sections...as the autograph section was done.

Leon, if that was done, once the word got out, it would be a hit! Man, you guys got me excited just thinking about it! Thanks!!!!

ChasingPaper 04-07-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2424742)
I have a beach house near ken at the jersey shore ,,I’ll have him buy me a steak ..

get over yourself :rolleyes:

D. Bergin 04-07-2024 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingPaper (Post 2425037)
get over yourself :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke.

Octavio doesn't need me to defend him, but he's probably the least snobby guy on this site. Apologies in advance to any other entities who might also qualify for the newly crowned award of "Least Snobby Collector On Net54".

;)

ChasingPaper 04-07-2024 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2425042)
I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke.

Octavio doesn't need me to defend him, but he's probably the least snobby guy on this site. Apologies in advance to any other entities who might also qualify for the newly crowned award of "Least Snobby Collector On Net54".

;)

Then let me officially retract my aforementioned statement;) sarcasm isnt always easy to detect in typed words. Carry on.

rjackson44 04-07-2024 10:40 AM

Thanks Dave hope your well paul is a good guy no harm no foul..but anyway good for Ken ,,and a gorgeous day at the jersey shore..everyone have a nice sunday

Mark17 04-07-2024 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2425021)

I have thought this for a long time, having come here as a best alternative when GUU left Chris Cavalier's control and began it's rapid descent into irrelevance, but didn't feel right about suggesting you do all that work. This is your site and it isn't my prerogative to suggest how you run it.

But since you mention it, I think it would be a fantastic idea. There are some GU enthusiasts here already, but if a GU section was built out, I think a lot more collectors would join.

SyrNy1960 04-07-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark17 (Post 2425064)
i have thought this for a long time, having come here as a best alternative when guu left chris cavalier's control and began it's rapid descent into irrelevance, but didn't feel right about suggesting you do all that work. This is your site and it isn't my prerogative to suggest how you run it.

But since you mention it, i think it would be a fantastic idea. There are some gu enthusiasts here already, but if a gu section was built out, i think a lot more collectors would join.

👍🏻💯👍🏻💯👍🏻💯

SyrNy1960 04-08-2024 01:58 PM

Ken,

What, if any, plans do you have for GameUsedUniverse? There has been a lot of talk lately going on within the game used community about having a dedicated game used website again. One person in this thread has made attempts to try to purchase GameUsedUniverse, but never received a response.

Yes, anyone could go start their own site, but GameUsedUniverse has a great history in the hobby, the format and layout is already established, and it’s just sitting there inactive, ready for someone to bring it back to life.

Thanks!

maniac_73 04-08-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

So much tougher to get traction with a new site vs existing. With forums especially it's practically impossible these days

SyrNy1960 04-08-2024 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2425313)
So much tougher to get traction with a new site vs existing. With forums especially it's practically impossible these days

Agree! I think if Ken doesn't have plans for GameUsedUniverse, and he is willing to let it go and give it back to the game used community, it's a great day for everyone!

4815162342 04-10-2024 05:41 AM

Frosty was right!

eBay, Collectors Enter into Commercial Agreement, Sign Deals for Acquisition of Goldin by eBay and Acquisition of the eBay Vault by PSA

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news...-vault-by-psa/

Leon 04-10-2024 06:05 AM

I'll be darned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2425642)
Frosty was right!

eBay, Collectors Enter into Commercial Agreement, Sign Deals for Acquisition of Goldin by eBay and Acquisition of the eBay Vault by PSA

Rhotchkiss 04-10-2024 06:48 AM

I haven’t bought anything off eBay or from Goldin in years (neither generally have what I collect), and I have never used a vault- so while very interesting, this will have zero impact on the way I buy, sell, and hold cards.

I think it’s particularly curious that eBay, and auction site, buys Goldin, an auction house.

Also, I’d be interested to hear what Probstein, Greg Morris and others who use eBay as their primary sales outlet think of this.

D. Bergin 04-10-2024 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4815162342 (Post 2425642)
Frosty was right!

Seems more of a convoluted merger, then a sale. Hard to tell for sure based on that press release. I haven’t seen that many meaningless buzzwords in one place since Coca-Cola came out with “New Coke”.

GeoPoto 04-10-2024 08:06 AM

If it means Goldin items will come up on eBay searches, so we don't have to use Goldin's system, it sounds like an improvement. Although, like adding a special at a Vegan restaurant, I still won't find anything to eat.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards 04-10-2024 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2425658)
Seems more of a convoluted merger, then a sale. Hard to tell for sure based on that press release. I haven’t seen that many meaningless buzzwords in one place since Coca-Cola came out with “New Coke”.

At the very least a very involved partnership. When the relationship is convoluted but the people quoted talk about how simple everything is going to be for the consumer I hold onto my wallet...

4815162342 04-10-2024 08:16 AM

Darren Rovell article:

https://www.cllct.com/sports-collect...es-up-industry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric72 04-10-2024 08:58 AM

If I purchase an item from Goldin, will it now go through eBay Authenticity Guarantee?

:rolleyes:

Lorewalker 04-10-2024 09:48 AM

Yeah I am not sure what this will look like but what an incestuous business this has become with complete acquisitions in competing entities, asset swapping, minority interests in complementary entities. Rubin, eBay or Turner should just pull out their checkbook and get everything under one roof.

From the sound of this release this did not sound like a sale, but as suggested above, more of a partnership and Turner pretty much confirms this.

“This will benefit The Hobby above all else, which is the primary goal of this innovative partnership between eBay and PSA,” said Collectors CEO Nat Turner. “We will drastically improve the collector experience by creating a seamless, end-to-end journey. No matter an individual collector’s goals, this partnership will make collecting safer, easier and more fun. We’re excited to combine the scale and trust across eBay's global marketplace with PSA's authentication and grading expertise.”