Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Let’s start a game used bat thread. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=280160)

jason.1969 06-26-2023 10:20 AM

I have a bat that I suspect is game used and perhaps even “THE GAME” used. Unfortunately I’m at a dead end in terms of my research.

Came from the collection of a deceased Pirates collector and carried no provenance.

As the photos show it’s a broken bat (carefully https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8c8453a8c4.jpg
repaired) marked with info from Rennie Stennett’s 7 for 7 game. What I’ll call THE BAT from that game lives at the Hall of Fame, but it’s certainly plausible to me that more than one bat would have been used.

Either way a fun item as I have a special connection to the Rennie game. (My artwork honoring the game just went up at PNC last month.)

jason.1969 06-26-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy (Post 2350388)
Met Steve Garvey today to get my 1983-86 era gamer signed.

My childhood idol. Is there a player better with fans than Garv?!

Jason
Twitter: @heavyj28

icollectDCsports 06-26-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 2350916)
I have a bat that I suspect is game used and perhaps even “THE GAME” used. Unfortunately I’m at a dead end in terms of my research.

Came from the collection of a deceased Pirates collector and carried no provenance.

As the photos show it’s a broken bat (carefully https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8c8453a8c4.jpg
repaired) marked with info from Rennie Stennett’s 7 for 7 game. What I’ll call THE BAT from that game lives at the Hall of Fame, but it’s certainly plausible to me that more than one bat would have been used.

Either way a fun item as I have a special connection to the Rennie game. (My artwork honoring the game just went up at PNC last month.)

I'm assuming you've looked at all the photos of him at bat that you could find from the game, but have you been able to find video?

71buc 06-26-2023 05:20 PM

That’s a cool Rennie bat. I was very tempted to grab that one myself. I didn’t pull the trigger because the HOF claims to have that bat in their collection. I guess you can never be certain. They also claim to have Clemente’s 3000th hit bat and it was recently photo-matched to a private collection.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/in...even-for-seven

Baseballcrazy62 08-26-2023 10:08 AM

Haines and P. Fielder gamers

2 Attachment(s)
Had these for a while and had them signed at the National.
Attachment 586243

Attachment 586244

ooo-ribay 08-26-2023 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 2367770)
Attachment 586243

Attachment 586244

The yellow paintpen/sharpie is the bomb. Wish I'd had one back when I was getting a lot of bats signed at Spring Training.

ooo-ribay 08-26-2023 10:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've had this bat for years. When I dug it out today, I'd forgotten all about the Worth brand. I just picked up this pair of batting gloves for 20 bucks. I have a soft spot for Brenly because a) he lived down the hall in my Freshman dorm at Ohio University (alma mater of Mike Schmidt, also) and b) because of the story shown in this clipping.

ooo-ribay 08-26-2023 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 2350999)

Good with the ladies, too. :cool:

perezfan 08-26-2023 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=jason.1969;2350999]My childhood idol. Is there a player better with fans than Garv?!

He was good... he waved to us from inside his car on the I-5 freeway after a Dodger game.

But Tony Gwynn was the nicest of any professional athlete I ever met. No ego, made great eye contact, respectful, told us endless stories, and signed a ton of stuff for free. Super friendly guy who passed way too soon. :(

icollectDCsports 08-26-2023 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=perezfan;2367789]
Quote:

He was good... he waved to us from inside his car on the I-5 freeway after a Dodger game.

But Tony Gwynn was the nicest of any professional athlete I ever met. No ego, made great eye contact, respectful, told us endless stories, and signed a ton of stuff for free. Super friendly guy who passed way too soon. :(

And such an underappreciated star of the game, in my opinion.

Vintage Yankee 08-27-2023 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 (Post 2367770)
Attachment 586243

Attachment 586244

Love the ink - the yellow really pops. Couldn't Tristar find a less conspicuous spot for their holograms?

Mark 09-04-2023 06:27 PM

White Sox

1 Attachment(s)
Opened up a fairly recent acquisition. It's a U1 Tommy McCraw.

ooo-ribay 10-05-2023 04:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
One of my more recent favorite Giants. I don't know if you guys have ever seen this picture of 5 or 6 year old Brandon, taken at Candlestick Park in 1992. Years later, he reprised the pose. This bat is from 2014 - one of Craw's World Series years.

eastonfalcon19 10-05-2023 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Received my letter for my Billy Williams bat.

71buc 10-06-2023 12:43 AM

Rob love that Crawford bat. The pic of him as a kid has always been a favorite of mine. First time I’ve seen the reprise it’s hilarious thanks for sharing.

Mark 10-06-2023 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 2378635)
Received my letter for my Billy Williams bat.

What a beautiful bat from the sweet spot of Billy Williams' career. Thanks for posting the bat photo and the LOA, etc.

JMEnglish27 10-06-2023 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=perezfan;2367789]
Quote:

Manager not player, but notable because I didn't even remotely expect it. Met Dick Williams at one of the A's reunions probably 15-20 years ago now. Gregarious as can be, telling stories, just fantastic.

Had an amazing experience with Don Drysdale when I was a kid, too, but it's well documented how kind he was.

ooo-ribay 10-06-2023 05:34 PM

Although most of your all-time, HOF type guys used H&B, LS or Adirondack, I love that there are now many companies producing MLB-quality bats - Marucci, Victus, Chandler, Dove Tail, Max, X, B45, Tucci, Birdman, etc. They make for an interesting display.

perezfan 10-08-2023 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2378813)
Although most of your all-time, HOF type guys used H&B, LS or Adirondack, I love that there are now many companies producing MLB-quality bats - Marucci, Victus, Chandler, Dove Tail, Max, X, B45, Tucci, Birdman, etc. They make for an interesting display.

Agree... Collecting modern bats is more interesting with all of the upstart brands and newer companies competing for market share. Especially love the look of the two-tone Bats.... many of them are almost like works of art.

ooo-ribay 10-12-2023 11:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As I mentioned, I like the plethora of new bat companies approved by MLB. Marucci and Victus now make up nearly 50% of bats used in the major leagues. Louisville Slugger has fallen to 14.6%. Heere are some new Giants pickups:

Joe Panik - fan favorite and member of the 2014 WS team. All Star and Gold Glove winner with the Giants
Donovan Solano - hit .330 with the 2019 Giants; member of 107 win 2021 team; Silver Slugger in 2020
Matt Duffy - member of 2014 WS team; also known for his fat cat :p
Ryan Vogelsong - rescued off the scrap heap to go 27-16 in 2011-12; member of 2 WS teams; 3-0, sub 3.00 ERA in two posteasons.

71buc 11-10-2023 07:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Summer of 2022 I asked for examples on how other members here display their game used bat collection. There were some very nice displays and many options to choose from. I couldn’t make a decision. My 1971 Pirates Game used bat collection is likely the centerpiece of my myopic collection. I really wanted to do something unique and perhaps even a bit classy. Unfortunately those two characteristics are very foreign to me which served to compounded my ambivalence. I enlisted the help of a friend who is a talented artist. She brought her father along. He happened to be a big baseball fan and wanted to check out my collection. She said he had some good ideas. He listened to us discuss different options while he swung a few bats off to the side.

He asked if I would allow him to design something for me gratis. She explained that he was a finisher. I had no idea what a finisher was. I asked him if he had ever completed a similar project before. He only said, “I’ve done a few things”. His only conditions were that I had to cover the cost of materials, promise to be patient, and and most importantly trust him. It took the better part of a year and it was certainly worth the wait.

He used African mahogany and a Japanese charred wood technique called Shou Sugi Ban. He created numbers to be mounted above each player’s bat in a style that pays homage to the 1973 #21 Clemente memorial patch worn by the Pirates. He separated the black backsplash from the bat knobs with a gold groove that can be used to display pin-backs, photos, cards, or tickets essentially making it a display shelf. The visible wood grain almost looks like tiger eye as it shimmers when the light hits it. He said he was shooting for a look that might have been similar to the area on a pirate ship used to tie down rigging. He used LED lighting to illuminate the bats at night. As a final touch he purchased a small tablet and downloaded Game 7 of the 1971 World Series. It fits perfectly in the grove. He said the sound and video serve to bring the bats to life.

I shared his work with my friends at the Clemente museum. They gifted me the 42”x16” photo of the 1971 Bucs that’s mounted above the rack.

It turns out this finisher’s other “similar” projects were a Weyerhaeuser board room and trophy rooms at UCLA. He also has work on display at the Smithsonian. I suppose his talents meet my standards LOL. I was blessed by his generosity and know I couldn’t afford to commission such a talented artist.

Scott Garner 11-11-2023 04:42 AM

WOW! Mike, that bat and photo display is the bomb!!! :eek:
Congrats, my friend. :cool:

Vintage Yankee 11-11-2023 05:27 AM

That's a stunning display, Mike. Good things come to those who wait. Congrats!

ooo-ribay 11-11-2023 08:07 AM

That’s an awesome display, Mike! Congrats to you and your finisher. I swear it’s your good karma that causes things to “fall into place” for you!

eastonfalcon19 11-11-2023 11:06 AM

Wow incredible display. Congrats on the new set up.

perezfan 11-11-2023 11:45 AM

Gorgeous Wall, Mike...

He did a fantastic job, and what a great idea to add the circled numbers above each of the bats! The lighting is magical and really accents it all beautifully. I also love the giant Photo (with apparent matching frame).

I don't think it could be done any better... just a stellar job, proving that patience really pays off!

JoeDfan 11-11-2023 12:04 PM

Holy Moly! That looks AWESOME!

71buc 11-11-2023 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone I appreciate all of the kind words. Rob, Im definitely cash broke but Karma rich 😆

Baseballcrazy62 01-21-2024 05:34 PM

Eddie Brinkman Gamer

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 606485

Attachment 606486

Eddie Brinkman gamer.

ooo-ribay 01-27-2024 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I only bought this because it was dirt cheap and Heliot Ramos was the Giants' first round draft pick in 2017. I guess I also liked that it is a Dinger model I don't have. It is signed, with "1st round pick 2017 Go Giants!" Ramos hit .348 in the Rookie League at age 17. He has been a bust ever since. Maybe he will break through, but I doubt it. I was thinking how the Giants wasted a first round pick and then I pulled up the entire 2017 draft. Looks like the Giants weren't the only ones to swing and miss. Of the entire first round, I've heard of three guys..#1, #2 and Jeter Downs. I think Royce Lewis is an everyday player; Hunter Greene may have a future (or not) and Jeter Downs is only known for his first name.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/dra...ft.php?yr=2017

magicwaters 01-27-2024 04:53 PM

HOF Game used bats

I exhibit my vast collection of over 300 game used bats, mostly Hall of Famers, on my Instagram, which is @magic_waters. If anyone uses IG and wants to check it out, would love to connect there as well. Keep this GU post alive. Love it.

JoeDfan 01-28-2024 03:01 PM

Mail day

2 Attachment(s)
Not really a new pickup, as I was just able to prove what it is the other day. Probably a boring story to most everyone but me, but I will share it anyway. I love the little stories of the obscure guys; regular joes who didn't quite get there, or maybe got to have a minute in the sun.

I got this in trade last year very reasonably, I had to give up one of my favorite big side-written big bats of a minor league guy for it.
But when I got it in hand, I became a little suspicious of what it might be.

At just 30" long, and 40 ounces, it had the feel of Wee Willie Keeler. The labeling period was 1916-1922, so it would be post-career for sure if I could even prove it. Still, for a Yankee GU bat collector, a pro model Keeler sure fills a big hole.
Using both black lights and infrared, I was able to decipher the side writing on the barrel read "40 oz Virgil Hetzel 3-23-24". I spent months trying to track down this guy. I found someone in the Baseball Reference with a same last name playing for Kalamazoo in '21. Long story short, I emailed the public libraries of Kalamazoo, who directed me to Philadelphia, who got me to Cincinnati, and the trail sort of stopped.
I then sent the bat to Mr. Taube, who confirmed for me that it was indeed a Willie Keeler model. Where Hetzel got the bat was uncertain. Perhaps he ordered it direct, or possibly in his minor league travels he crossed paths with Keeler, who was a coach and scout after he retired.
While I was happy to have a Keeler model, I couldn't help but remain curious about who Virgil Hetzel was, and how he got the bat.
By total coincidence, I got the bat back last week, and on that very night, I received an email from a woman I had emailed as part of my search. It turns out that she is indeed related to him. She confirmed that he (or his son) was part of the Philadelphia minor league system, and sent me a newspaper article from Dayton, where Hetzel lived. The article specifically references Hetzel's "short, thick and especially-made bludgeon", leaving no doubt that this is the same guy. Although he never made the majors, at least on that night, Virg Hetzel was the local hero, quite possibly using the same bat.
With that, I finally feel like I can bring this story to a successful conclusion.
For me, this is one of my favorite parts to the hobby. While everyone naturally wants to find the next Gehrig or Shoeless Joe gamer, I love to find those tiny moments in history that were otherwise lost, and bring them back. The woman said she was the "family historian" and I believe she was quite happy to know that I had found his bat. She said she would round up all of the information she had on him. I can't wait to see it, and who knows, just maybe there will be a brief appearance by Wee Willie himself.

ruth-gehrig 01-28-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDfan (Post 2408656)
Not really a new pickup, as I was just able to prove what it is the other day. Probably a boring story to most everyone but me, but I will share it anyway. I love the little stories of the obscure guys; regular joes who didn't quite get there, or maybe got to have a minute in the sun.

I got this in trade last year very reasonably, I had to give up one of my favorite big side-written big bats of a minor league guy for it.
But when I got it in hand, I became a little suspicious of what it might be.

At just 30" long, and 40 ounces, it had the feel of Wee Willie Keeler. The labeling period was 1916-1922, so it would be post-career for sure if I could even prove it. Still, for a Yankee GU bat collector, a pro model Keeler sure fills a big hole.
Using both black lights and infrared, I was able to decipher the side writing on the barrel read "40 oz Virgil Hetzel 3-23-24". I spent months trying to track down this guy. I found someone in the Baseball Reference with a same last name playing for Kalamazoo in '21. Long story short, I emailed the public libraries of Kalamazoo, who directed me to Philadelphia, who got me to Cincinnati, and the trail sort of stopped.
I then sent the bat to Mr. Taube, who confirmed for me that it was indeed a Willie Keeler model. Where Hetzel got the bat was uncertain. Perhaps he ordered it direct, or possibly in his minor league travels he crossed paths with Keeler, who was a coach and scout after he retired.
While I was happy to have a Keeler model, I couldn't help but remain curious about who Virgil Hetzel was, and how he got the bat.
By total coincidence, I got the bat back last week, and on that very night, I received an email from a woman I had emailed as part of my search. It turns out that she is indeed related to him. She confirmed that he (or his son) was part of the Philadelphia minor league system, and sent me a newspaper article from Dayton, where Hetzel lived. The article specifically references Hetzel's "short, thick and especially-made bludgeon", leaving no doubt that this is the same guy. Although he never made the majors, at least on that night, Virg Hetzel was the local hero, quite possibly using the same bat.
With that, I finally feel like I can bring this story to a successful conclusion.
For me, this is one of my favorite parts to the hobby. While everyone naturally wants to find the next Gehrig or Shoeless Joe gamer, I love to find those tiny moments in history that were otherwise lost, and bring them back. The woman said she was the "family historian" and I believe she was quite happy to know that I had found his bat. She said she would round up all of the information she had on him. I can't wait to see it, and who knows, just maybe there will be a brief appearance by Wee Willie himself.

That's awesome congrats! I to enjoy the history part of our memorabilia and the connections that can be found if we search and ask. Sometimes we strike out but doesn't sound like you did:)

Vintage Yankee 01-28-2024 04:59 PM

Great story and detective work, Sean.

Bpm0014 01-28-2024 09:40 PM

As a fellow game used bat collector, how do we know this is a Keeler model bat? Simply because it is a 30’’ 40oz bat?

JoeDfan 01-29-2024 09:45 AM

Thanks guys. This is really the stuff I enjoy doing, and I realize that I will strike out sometimes (ok, a lot). The cool part is that sometimes, just when you think you struck out, suddenly everything falls into place.

To Brendan's question: Naturally, I cannot speak for how PSA does it, but I have learned to use a combination of methodologies, mostly through trial and error. Length, weight, ordering records, etc. are a good start. Then there are caliper measurements, knob variations, and some other tricks I have developed to put together a series of clues to help out. Finally, if you can get a good photo, that is a free cookie. But I do not seem to have great luck with that.
Honestly, most of it is simply contacting public libraries and historical societies and asking lots of questions. You never know what you will dig up. I once hit the jackpot crawling through the University of South Carolina library archives for an obscure photo that wasn't even related to baseball.
I think it was extra-amazing luck for Virgil, because what are the odds that I would find his descendant, she would know who I was talking about, AND she happened to be the family historian who kept a ton of documentation on him?

Mark70Z 01-31-2024 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2387697)
Summer of 2022 I asked for examples on how other members here display their game used bat collection. There were some very nice displays and many options to choose from. I couldn’t make a decision. My 1971 Pirates Game used bat collection is likely the centerpiece of my myopic collection. I really wanted to do something unique and perhaps even a bit classy. Unfortunately those two characteristics are very foreign to me which served to compounded my ambivalence. I enlisted the help of a friend who is a talented artist. She brought her father along. He happened to be a big baseball fan and wanted to check out my collection. She said he had some good ideas. He listened to us discuss different options while he swung a few bats off to the side.

He asked if I would allow him to design something for me gratis. She explained that he was a finisher. I had no idea what a finisher was. I asked him if he had ever completed a similar project before. He only said, “I’ve done a few things”. His only conditions were that I had to cover the cost of materials, promise to be patient, and and most importantly trust him. It took the better part of a year and it was certainly worth the wait.

He used African mahogany and a Japanese charred wood technique called Shou Sugi Ban. He created numbers to be mounted above each player’s bat in a style that pays homage to the 1973 #21 Clemente memorial patch worn by the Pirates. He separated the black backsplash from the bat knobs with a gold groove that can be used to display pin-backs, photos, cards, or tickets essentially making it a display shelf. The visible wood grain almost looks like tiger eye as it shimmers when the light hits it. He said he was shooting for a look that might have been similar to the area on a pirate ship used to tie down rigging. He used LED lighting to illuminate the bats at night. As a final touch he purchased a small tablet and downloaded Game 7 of the 1971 World Series. It fits perfectly in the grove. He said the sound and video serve to bring the bats to life.

I shared his work with my friends at the Clemente museum. They gifted me the 42”x16” photo of the 1971 Bucs that’s mounted above the rack.

It turns out this finisher’s other “similar” projects were a Weyerhaeuser board room and trophy rooms at UCLA. He also has work on display at the Smithsonian. I suppose his talents meet my standards LOL. I was blessed by his generosity and know I couldn’t afford to commission such a talented artist.

I don’t check this thread often, but I took a look today and I saw Mike’s bat display. Man, that is without a doubt the best bat display that I have seen. The large photo above really just increases the visual appeal. Congrats on an awesome display; love it!

ooo-ribay 02-03-2024 02:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up...Juan Uribe gamer. Juan only played two years for the Giants but had a career year for HRs and RBIs in the Giants World Series year of 2010. He hit an 8th inning go ahead HR in the game 6 NLCS clincher against the Phillies. He left the Giants after that year and went to the Evil Empire down south for basically an extra million. It all worked out, since he was nothing in LA and it opened the door for Brandon Crawford. Karma. :cool:

magicwaters 03-09-2024 07:33 PM

Game used/issued bat SALE

11 Attachment(s)
Hi guys. Created a new thread for this, but since this is by far the best game used bat one on the site, I figured I would cross post to make sure it got to the right collectors. Game Used and autographed Bats sale. Selling some game used/issued/model bats. Price includes shipping. Please email Info@MagicWaters.com with any questions. Thank you.

Alan Trammell game used, autographed and "1984 World Series MVP" inscribed 1980-83 era L/S bat. BP use. Both signature (AL39694) and bat (1B28047) are PSA authenticated (graded 5 because of BP use). $1,250.00

ULTRA RARE Carlos Baerga game used Mariners Rawlings bat. Most know Carlos Baerga as the three time All Star and two time Silver Slugger with the Indians and Mets. But most do not know that he signed with the Seattle Mariners in 2001, but was released prior to the start of that season. Consequently, few game used bats, if any at all, from Baerga's tenure with the Mariners have ever been available. Here you have one such black Rawlings bat. Bat has very good use and is guaranteed to pass PSA authentication, or full refund. $119.99

Gorgeous Brad Penny game used Marlins Rawlings bat. 2-time All Star. Great use and tape job on handle. Has "Penny" and "31" on knob. Bat is guaranteed to pass PSA/DNA authentication, or full refund. SOLD

Hammered Will Cordero game used Expos Rawlings bat. Bat of this former All Star and Silver Slugger award winner. Obtained during 1993-94 era. Great game use. Has his number "12" on knob. Bat guaranteed to pass PSA authenticity for game use, or full refund. $69.99

New HOF Todd Helton game issued Mizuno bat. PSA authenticated. Helton is doing an upcoming autograph signing, and this would be a great piece to get signed. $500

2023 All Star Austin Hays game used, signed and inscribed B-45 bat. The bat is MLB Authenticated and was used by Austin to get a single against Corey Kluber on 7/25/22, a fact that he has inscribed on the bat in silver sharpie. $415

Willie McCovey game model Hillerich & Bradsby bat. Bat has tons of use, but not being sold as game used by McCovey. Just game model. $500
Barry Bonds game model Young Co. bat. Bat has tons of use, but not being sold as game used by Bonds. Just game model. $500

Dwight "Doc" Gooden 1986 game issued and autographed Rawlings Adirondack bat. PSA authenticated and graded 5 as game issued. Rare nickname Rawlings bat from the Mets' 1986 championship season. SOLD

Keith Hernandez game used Louisville Slugger bat. Bat is hammered. Was originally acquired from Lelands, who represented hat the number 18 on the knob was Keith's. PSA later authenticated and mention in the letter that they believe the #18 was actually another player's. $398

Shamus 03-09-2024 08:38 PM

If the Hernandez bat was from his time with the Mets it was used by Strawberry.

Batman 03-10-2024 10:48 AM

Outstanding display, best I've seen. Solid work

Trublubrucru 03-12-2024 11:16 AM

Not the thread for selling. Different section

Baseballcrazy62 03-25-2024 09:01 PM

Larry Herndon Game Used Bat

2 Attachment(s)
Happy to add another 1984 Tiger to the collection.
Attachment 615781

Attachment 615782

magicwaters 03-26-2024 01:21 PM

Don Sutton PSA 8

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Don Sutton PSA 8 gamer I recently shared on my Instagram. You can see more at @magic_waters.

Vintagedeputy 03-30-2024 05:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New arrival! 1929-31 Lew Fonseca game used bat.

Fonseca was the 1929 American League batting champion (.369) and had a career .316 batting average.

Trublubrucru 05-07-2024 02:31 PM

Uncovered bat

3 Attachment(s)
Recently, a buddy of mine retrieved a box of game used bats that have been in storage for some time. In that box, a bat(given to him by a player), was said to be Brewer's manager Harvey Kuehn's longtime Fungo bat/walking stick. He had a prosthetic leg and used the bat for steadiness. This bat needed help and identification. I wanted to bring it back to life

The bat was completely covered in multiple layers of athletic tape with the outermost dirty and darkened overtime. That layer was crumbly and came off fairly easy. The second layer of tape was dry but stuck to the bat and got messy but removable. The third layer was all the leftover adhesive that was "petrified" to the bat over the last four decades. It was pounded into the grain and looked pretty bad. After he talked of sanding it, I immediately confiscated it and took it home to finish. After 4 hours and LOTS of elbow grease, I managed to bring it back to life. I left the lower handle layers of tape remain to show that this was that bat. I regrettably forgot before pictures, but it turned out great, and he had it back in 24 hrs. and was very pleased.

Uncovering this bat was a thrill for me, and it represents a cool piece of Brewers history.