Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Surface Ink Added (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126168)

Tcards-Please 07-30-2010 12:35 PM

Surface Ink Added

2 Attachment(s)
I just saw a recent post with a 1915 Joe Jackson card that had the "Surface Ink Added" label which brought to mind this question. I have never fully understood why some cards get a numerical grade with noticeable ink/pencil marks on the card and others get the "A" "Surface Ink Added" label?

I can certainly understand if someone is trying to be deceptive in trying to match color ink to make the card appear as original and unaltered. But when it is blatant and clearly can be seen as ink/pencil, why the "A"?

I'm sure there is some logical explanation.

Here are two with pencil. The Wilhelm has it on the border and "B", and the Shean, well I'm sure you can find it.

Leon 07-30-2010 01:24 PM

I think

I think that if a mark or color was added to hide something, or re-color an area that lost color, the card will get an AUT. If the mark is just a stray mark, and the intent was clearly not to "fix" some blemish, then it will get a #, albeit a lower one than without the mark. regards

edited to add, I have a feeling the one that got an AUT might have other color added other than the pencil mark that can be seen....

ethicsprof 07-30-2010 11:41 PM

ink

i'm with Leon on this one but i must say that this 'mark'/'writing' issue still is full of ambiguity in the minds of graders---except for perhaps SGC which hates it and grades accordingly no matter how beautiful the card may be.
forgive the obvious 'sour grapes.

best,
barry

JamesGallo 07-31-2010 07:19 PM

The Jackson had ink in a grey area, I tried to scrap it off, but I just couldn't do enough and if I had pushed any more I might have torn the paper. In hindsight I should have left it alone.

I agree with the posts above, if it is trying to hide damage it will get AUTH, regardless SGC is very rough on pen while PSA will just give it the mark qualifier.

James G

Leon 08-01-2010 08:15 AM

color added

One more tidbit. The Wilhelm (T205) above looks like it has had color added to the chip in the "B". I don't think the flip would say "surface ink added" if it was only for the amateurish recoloring, in pencil, of his hat. regards

Tcards-Please 08-01-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 826529)
One more tidbit. The Wilhelm (T205) above looks like it has had color added to the chip in the "B". I don't think the flip would say "surface ink added" if it was only for the amateurish recoloring, in pencil, of his hat. regards

Leon,
The color added to the "B" is from the pencil that made that hole. Actually, it looks like it could have been caused by a magnifying glass that burnt a hole rather than pencil mark hole. What ever it was, it goes through the card (like a pin hole). According to the person that submitted this card, SGC stated that it had pencil marks on the border. No other color was added, not even to the hat. Which was why I made the initial post. Again, I could see the argument if recoloring was done to make it appear better than it really was. Where do you think color was added in the hat area?

r/
Frank

Leon 08-01-2010 08:54 AM

ok....

Quote:

Originally Posted by T's please (Post 826537)
Leon,
The color added to the "B" is from the pencil that made that hole. Actually, it looks like it could have been caused by a magnifying glass that burnt a hole rather than pencil mark hole. What ever it was, it goes through the card (like a pin hole). According to the person that submitted this card, SGC stated that it had pencil marks on the border. No other color was added, not even to the hat. Which was why I made the initial post. Again, I could see the argument if recoloring was done to make it appear better than it really was. Where do you think color was added in the hat area?

r/
Frank

So if the B to the left (as we look at it) of his cap is a hole, and now we know SGC said there was pencil added to the borders, then that is the reason. If you have chips out of a T205 border, they look white. If you take a pencil to them and make them look darker, then that would in effect enhance the look of the card, hence the AUT grade. That would be my guess......regards

edited to add- I thought the color was added to the big B to the left of the hat, not in the hat area (which was just done for fun) , but if it is darker looking because it's a hole then that dismisses that thought.