Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Expert Opinions Requested: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206801)

clydepepper 06-02-2015 11:39 AM

Expert Opinions Requested:

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this of Ebay and was wondering if it was Clubhouse variety.

I'll be happy with it anyway because I also wanted the card, but I was curious since Gehringer's autograph is always so attractive....something that is becoming more and more rare in today's world.

Attachment 192885

bender07 06-02-2015 12:53 PM

I think it's fine and is a later in life example.

djson1 06-02-2015 02:11 PM

I'd be surprised to run into fake Gehringers as there are so many out there. He was such a generous signer not only during his playing days but especially in retirement. I remember sending him many pieces during the '80s and he always signed and returned them within a short period of time. RJ Jack Smalling used to sell his 3x5s for .35 cents each back in the early '80s!

GrayGhost 06-02-2015 02:17 PM

Nice later in life signature.

rsn1661 06-02-2015 07:33 PM

I have a couple dozen of his signatures on cards, balls and 3x5s and yours looks fine.

Moyni 06-02-2015 07:49 PM

Agree with others. It's totally legit.

clydepepper 06-02-2015 08:42 PM

Thanks guys!

I don't get too deep in the auto market, due to forgeries, but I have also heard that so-called 'clubhouse' versions are also considered authentic. I've heard that a lot of Mantles are clubhouse.

All the same I have always liked Gehringer's signature and am glad that it is apparently as real as one can be without seeing it signed.

Thanks again,
Raymond

Lordstan 06-02-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1417532)
Thanks guys!

I don't get too deep in the auto market, due to forgeries, but I have also heard that so-called 'clubhouse' versions are also considered authentic. I've heard that a lot of Mantles are clubhouse.

Thanks again,
Raymond

Raymond,
I'm not sure where you heard that, but it is unquestionably false. Clubhouse versions are not, in any way, considered authentic. They are considered non malicious forgeries at best, but they are not accepted by any autograph community as authentic. Please do not propagate that incorrect information.
It's info like that that gets people burned. They then sour on autographs and another collector becomes disenchanted and leaves collecting.

Mark

clydepepper 06-02-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1417553)
Raymond,
I'm not sure where you heard that, but it is unquestionably false. Clubhouse versions are not, in any way, considered authentic. They are considered non malicious forgeries at best, but they are not accepted by any autograph community as authentic. Please do not propagate that incorrect information.
It's info like that that gets people burned. They then sour on autographs and another collector becomes disenchanted and leaves collecting.

Mark

Thanks for the knowledge, Mark. It was never my intention to 'propagate' what I had heard. Just to mention what I had heard and allow for correction - for which I am grateful.

Raymond

Lordstan 06-02-2015 10:38 PM

No problem Raymond. Sorry If I came on strong. It's just that that type of misinformation can be very detrimental and I got a little carried away.

Duluth Eskimo 06-03-2015 10:26 AM

The problem with the comment is that this is the second time you have stated this. The first time you made an uninformed comment on an item you knew nothing about. I know very little about pre-war cards and that is why I post very little if any on that side of the board. Everyone is more than willing to help all / most of our members if they need or want help, it's just the uninformed comments that autograph collectors don't appreciate. Jason

jgmp123 06-03-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1417553)
Raymond,

Mark

+1

clydepepper 06-03-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1417630)
The problem with the comment is that this is the second time you have stated this. The first time you made an uninformed comment on an item you knew nothing about. I know very little about pre-war cards and that is why I post very little if any on that side of the board. Everyone is more than willing to help all / most of our members if they need or want help, it's just the uninformed comments that autograph collectors don't appreciate. Jason

Jason- I explained to Mark that it was never my intention to put erroneous information out - and I was very happy to have the situation explained to me.

I am assuming you are stating that I have stated this before...well, I certainly don't recall that. If I did so, again it was without malicious intent.

I sincerely apologized for anything that may have been misconstrued and do not see the need to do so again.

Duluth Eskimo 06-04-2015 09:17 AM

I don't think you were trying to be malicious, I think you were just making an uninformed comment. The first time, you made almost the same comment when someone was seeking help on a Mickey Mantle autograph. If I remember correctly, the Mantle was actually good but you told the guy that most of what Mantle signed was secretarial or something like that. The bottom line is if you don't know what you are talking about, don't make an uninformed comment. It's a disservice to the person asking for help. From your posts, I would assume you are a decent person and know quite a bit about baseball, just not enough about autographs. Take care. Jason

clydepepper 06-05-2015 06:04 PM

Jason - I sincerely appreciate the feedback and won't make the same mistake again.

Lordstan 06-05-2015 08:56 PM

Raymond,
I agree with Jason that I don't think your comments were meant maliciously, but were just poorly informed. I would suggest to you that you reach out to any of the seasoned autograph collectors when you hear stuff like that to get their feedback on the subject. Perhaps even ask a couple as you might get slightly different perspectives. In my experience, most on this board are very willing to help and share their knowledge. The smarter collectors are, the less they will be fooled by forgeries and the more they. and by extension all of us, can enjoy the hobby.
Mark