Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new low for the ebay authenticity thing (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322074)

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2022 12:16 PM

new low for the ebay authenticity thing

So a guy has a BIN of 500 on a card, which was way too high. I make an offer in the 300s and he accepts. But because of his original price, a 300+ card now needs to go to the authenticator before it can come to me. Meanwhile it appears to me the program is definitely slowing down a bit, taking a day or maybe two more than originally.

bnorth 07-11-2022 12:43 PM

How dare those A-Holes do something to try to stop scammers if it takes a couple extra days. :rolleyes::D:D:D

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2241485)
How dare those A-Holes do something to try to stop scammers if it takes a couple extra days. :rolleyes::D:D:D

It's useless for graded cards. The above card is graded.

bnorth 07-11-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241486)
It's useless for graded cards.

Don't they send them to PSA? The place that never makes a mistake and everyone working there is WAY smarter than us?

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2022 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2241487)
Don't they send them to PSA? The place that never makes a mistake and everyone working there is WAY smarter than us?

I would like to know how many tampered slabs they have identified to date. My guess is zero.

Jobu 07-11-2022 03:13 PM

+1 -- some reporting on how much fraud they have prevented would be terrific.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241489)
I would like to know how many tampered slabs they have identified to date. My guess is zero.

bnorth 07-11-2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 2241539)
+1 -- some reporting on how much fraud they have prevented would be terrific.

I have no idea on number but I know several resealed slabs listed on eBay have been called out on here including a T206 green Cobb. Even if they catch a few it is worth it because it also helps stop the listings in the first place if the scammers know the cards need to be inspected by an "expert".

Not cards but they have caught fake sneakers for me.

jcmtiger 07-11-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241478)
So a guy has a BIN of 500 on a card, which was way too high. I make an offer in the 300s and he accepts. But because of his original price, a 300+ card now needs to go to the authenticator before it can come to me. Meanwhile it appears to me the program is definitely slowing down a bit, taking a day or maybe two more than originally.

My card took 10 days to get to me. This was about 2 weeks ago. This card was raw & deemed authentic.

Exhibitman 07-11-2022 07:40 PM

I just got one back from PSA today.

Here's a quandary: how to scan it without destroying the baggie? The labels obscure a good portion of the back of the card. If I wanted to leave it in the sealed baggie (spoiler alert: I don't), I couldn't see part of the card, ever. So I guess if I want to rely on their service, I will never get to see the full card?

Also, the baggies are as baggy as board shorts, so for display they don't even look good.

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2241606)
I just got one back from PSA today.

Here's a quandary: how to scan it without destroying the baggie? The labels obscure a good portion of the back of the card. If I wanted to leave it in the sealed baggie (spoiler alert: I don't), I couldn't see part of the card, ever. So I guess if I want to rely on their service, I will never get to see the full card?

Also, the baggies are as baggy as board shorts, so for display they don't even look good.

I still want to know, if you now sell it in its authenticated kit, do you then have to ship it back to them again? :D

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 2241560)
My card took 10 days to get to me. This was about 2 weeks ago. This card was raw & deemed authentic.

I can see the value of the raw review, if done right by qualified people.

philo98 07-11-2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241486)
It's useless for graded cards. The above card is graded.

I bought a PSA graded card on eBay for over $500 a few weeks ago and the card I bought didn’t go through eBay’s authentication process. It was mailed directly to me within a few days I had received it. I was under the impression anything graded over $500 would have to go through this new process.

ullmandds 07-11-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philo98 (Post 2241661)
I bought a PSA graded card on eBay for over $500 a few weeks ago and the card I bought didn’t go through eBay’s authentication process. It was mailed directly to me within a few days I had received it. I was under the impression anything graded over $500 would have to go through this new process.

I had this happen to me as well apparently there are some ““ buzz words that if put in the listing disqualify the service from being used such as set break which makes no sense to me?

G1911 07-11-2022 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
eBay has been going downhill for awhile, but it's turning into a dumpster fire lately.

philo98 07-12-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2241670)
I had this happen to me as well apparently there are some ““ buzz words that if put in the listing disqualify the service from being used such as set break which makes no sense to me?

Going back to the eBay listing, I do see the term “set break” listed in the title. Yeah, makes no sense to me as well.

Flintboy 07-12-2022 01:02 AM

I was told by an eBay customer service representative that if the card is going to a PO Box, it will not go through the the authenticity guarantee process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philo98 (Post 2241661)

rjackson44 07-12-2022 03:34 AM

Wait till they start grading the basketball star cards omg .

RCMcKenzie 07-12-2022 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2241676)
eBay has been going downhill for awhile, but it's turning into a dumpster fire lately.

Great. Very funny.

RCMcKenzie 07-12-2022 04:56 AM

The guy or gal in Louisiana that opens a drawer and loads up a card never happens anymore. It's no longer a Joe and Jane yard sale. It's serious business.

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 06:21 AM

some folks send cards to PSA, pay through the nose, and eagerly wait 22 months to get them back.

some folks complain about a few days delay, which doesn’t cost them, to have PSA eyeball a card they just bought.

hobby has all types I guess.

rjackson44 07-12-2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2241715)
some folks send cards to PSA, pay through the nose, and eagerly wait 22 months to get them back.

some folks complain about a few days delay, which doesn’t cost them, to have PSA eyeball a card they just bought.

22 months lol never understood that

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 07:10 AM

Even if PSA hasn't stopped a single fraudulent slab with the eBay program, the fact that they are at least taking a quick look at these might give fraudsters pause and move them to another business plan.

bnorth 07-12-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2241727)
Even if PSA hasn't stopped a single fraudulent slab with the eBay program, the fact that they are at least taking a quick look at these might give fraudsters pause and move them to another business plan.

+1 and the reason I am a huge fan of their Authenticity programs.

Gorditadogg 07-12-2022 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 2241688)
Great. Very funny.

That is funny. The first complaint is "there's a bunch of fake cards on ebay and they won't do anything about it!!!"

Then later it's "eBay is checking all the cards for fakes whether I want them to or not!!!"

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2241715)

They're not eyeballing the CARD just the slab. That's been explained repeatedly. I don't need them to eyeball the slab of a card that was slabbed, by them, a month ago.

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241866)
They're not eyeballing the CARD just the slab. That's been explained repeatedly. I don't need them to eyeball the slab of a card that was slabbed, by them, a month ago.

There haven't been people posting on this board about fake slabs? From Mexico or something. I seem to recall people even posting eBay listings with fake slabs.

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 04:10 PM

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...bay+fake+slabs

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2241868)
There haven't been people posting on this board about fake slabs? From Mexico or something. I seem to recall people even posting eBay listings with fake slabs.

As I posted, in a situation I was involved in, PSA reslabbed a card that was almost certainly a Mexican fake. Anyhow, sure, have Jordan rookies and Goudey Ruths and Gehrigs go in for a review. Not every single freaking card worth 500 or more.

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 04:16 PM

By the way is PSA qualified to review an SGC slab? Because they are now. Beckett too I imagine.

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 04:46 PM

System is far from perfect, but it’s an attempt to deal with a real problem. I applaud them for trying something. Can’t imagine any fraud detection effort is a bad thing.

The last three cards I bought on eBay that went through this process probably arrived in my mailbox before or right around the same time I would have received them from the lion’s share of AHs I buy from.

Yoda 07-12-2022 06:14 PM

As a buyer of graded cards, there is no utility whatsoever for me in their service. I have had three pass through with an average delay of 5 biz days. The authentication kit is a marketing disaster and a joke. I want my card, not some piece of junk hiding it. Humbug.

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2241908)
As a buyer of graded cards, there is no utility whatsoever for me in their service. I have had three pass through with an average delay of 5 biz days. The authentication kit is a marketing disaster and a joke. I want my card, not some piece of junk hiding it. Humbug.

I bought a card from a seller whose cards I always receive on the 3rd day from purchase. That was two weeks ago. Yeah, real value added here.

G1911 07-12-2022 06:47 PM

Hopefully they update this to protect raw buyers to the same degree as buyers of already graded cards.

After eBay sends the card to CSG to take a look, CSG should ship it to PSA who will then authenticate that CSG did, in fact, authenticate the actual card. Then PSA can ship it to the buyer.

Lorewalker 07-12-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2241919)
Hopefully they update this to protect raw buyers to the same degree as buyers of already graded cards.

After eBay sends the card to CSG to take a look, CSG should ship it to PSA who will then authenticate that CSG did, in fact, authenticate the actual card. Then PSA can ship it to the buyer.

Just what the buying experience needs are more hands and time in shipping. Will take a pass. If ya want something graded then buy it already graded.

G1911 07-12-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2241921)
Just what the buying experience needs are more hands and time in shipping. Will take a pass. If ya want something graded then buy it already graded.

Whoosh

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

I'd feel damn good about the card with two nifty blue folders (or whatever you call those stupid things) and two QR codes.

Bill77 07-12-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

I was thinking that maybe they should start out with CSG then send to PSA then to SGC and finally to Beckett to maximize shipping time from seller to customer. Why not get everyone's opinion.

G1911 07-12-2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 2241928)
I was thinking that maybe they should start out with CSG then send to PSA then to SGC and finally to Beckett to maximize shipping time from seller to customer. Why not get everyone's opinion.

Brilliant! With a QR code and folder from each, I will finally sleep easy that my card is real.

Lorewalker 07-12-2022 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill77 (Post 2241928)

And then on to MBA for a Gold Diamond Sticker too!

If I am buying raw on eBay I do not need CSG's opinion on the card. I woul dnot be bidding if I was worried the card was altered, counterfeit or graded wrong. Thanks but no thanks. Same with buying a graded card...I do not need PSA telling me the slab is ok and certainly do not need them telling me a CSG, BVG or SGC slab is good. That is laughable.

dmats33312 07-12-2022 07:36 PM

Not only is it about tampered slab but also getting a box of rocks. I think people forgot quickly how long things took to get 2 years ago, an extra week or so is nothing and tbh, if I'm buying a big card I prefer not to have to worry about the slab being tampered, the raw card being fake or altered or receiving a pile of 91 Fleer instead of a my slabbed Goudey.

Snapolit1 07-12-2022 09:22 PM

interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”. Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….

G1911 07-12-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2241974)
interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”.

Which post #'s have postulated this argument?

Quote:

Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….

People tend to not like things they think are inconvenient. I've yet to meet a fellow who welcomes inconvenience.

Carter08 07-12-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

interesting how many responses are basically “I can tell a real slab from a fake slab …. this process is stupid.”. Not that it’s good or bad for cleaning up fraud in hobby as a whole, but let me tell you how this is inconvenient to me personally ….

Agree

Peter_Spaeth 07-12-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

I wish I had a good fake slab. I’d bet that if it went to PSA for review, it would pass. At least in the context of this program. But do let us know when you hear of a single card that gets rejected.

Gorditadogg 07-12-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2241992)
I wish I had a good fake slab. I’d bet that if it went to PSA for review, it would pass. At least in the context of this program. But do let us know when you hear of a single card that gets rejected.

Well hopefully we can all find out right here on Net54.

Most of the slabbed cards are PSA's right? Maybe 75% of them or more? It would seem PSA should know a lot about their own faked or resealed slabs. And they should be able to build up expertise on the others, assuming they take their job seriously. I don't know why they wouldn't. Ebay might only be paying $5 a slab to do the review so you can't spend a whole lot of time there I guess, but once you have seen enough of them a bad one should stand out.

And I also assume that just by setting up the review process, ebay has caused many of the fake slab sellers to have gone away, so there may not be a lot of bad slabs to find anymore.

Lorewalker 07-13-2022 12:06 AM

Quote:

If you feel you need the service then you should use it but I think we should have a choice. Apparently you feel it should be thrust onto everyone. Maybe some of us feel we can fend for ourselves and do not need eBay looking out for us in this manner. As a buyer I have never had an issue with a seller on eBay where I would need the authenticity guarantee.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 07-13-2022 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2241997)
If you feel you need the service then you should use it but I think we should have a choice. Apparently you feel it should be thrust onto everyone. Maybe some of us feel we can fend for ourselves and do not need eBay looking out for us in this manner. As a buyer I have never had an issue with a seller on eBay where I would need the authenticity guarantee.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, with this hobby and many other facets of life, personal responsibility went out the window a long time ago.

Snapolit1 07-13-2022 05:43 AM

Opting out …. the new American mantra. Every system put in place should have my seal of approval on in. Fuck getting a drivers license, if I want to drive without a license or insurance it should be my right. Same with airport security and everything else. Only sheepies let other people tell them what they have to do.

Peter_Spaeth 07-13-2022 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2242016)
Opting out …. the new American mantra. Every system put in place should have my seal of approval on in. Fuck getting a drivers license, if I want to drive without a license or insurance it should be my right. Same with airport security and everything else. Only sheepies let other people tell them what they have to do.

Wut.

A better analogy would be declining the extended warranty when you buy a refrigerator. Do you object to that too?

Gorditadogg 07-13-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2241997)

Unfortunately if someone is an idiot and gets scammed by an ebay seller it reflects poorly on the whole platform. Most people are looking for a site where they don't have to navigate through that nonsense. Good for you that you embrace it but you might have to find somewhere else to fulfill your adventurous side.