Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GAI Holders (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=138926)

YankeeCollector 07-06-2011 11:05 AM

GAI Holders

Is it safe to assume that if a Goudey is in a GAI Holder, thats its probably altered or trimmed? Otherwise, why not cross over to SGC or PSA?

What is GAI's present reputation?

Thanks

Jay Wolt 07-06-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeCollector (Post 906633)
Is it safe to assume that if a Goudey is in a GAI Holder, thats its probably altered or trimmed? Otherwise, why not cross over to SGC or PSA?

What is GAI's present reputation?

Thanks

Their present reputation isn't all that great.
But many of their past cards slabbed are in line of PSA & SGC
So don't assume they are all bad. Like any card purchase, make sure you agree w/ the grade assigned
Then proceed from there.

geor952 07-06-2011 11:19 AM

Out of my 350 T206s about 30 of them were graded years ago by GAI. I do not wish to spend the time or money in crossing them over and know they are unaltered. I think there are several collectors who don't feel the need to crossover for whatever reason. GAI had a competitive product a few years back and I wouldn't ignore the card.

Griffins 07-06-2011 12:32 PM

Buy the card, not the holder. There are bad cards in every companies holders, just as there are good ones.

Leon 07-06-2011 12:38 PM

agreed but

I agree on buying the card and not the holder. That being said, any high grade card being sold in a GAI holder is leaving money on the table, imo. The main reason high grade cards stay in GAI holders is because they won't cross, in my experiences. Take it for what it's worth.

JamesGallo 07-06-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 906659)
I agree on buying the card and not the holder. That being said, any high grade card being sold in a GAI holder is leaving money on the table, imo. The main reason high grade cards stay in GAI holders is because they won't cross, in my experiences. Take it for what it's worth.

I agree with this. I find it very silly that any major auction would sell a expensive card in a GAI holder.

I know not everything is bad, but I think there are more bad GAI cards then the other companies. I also think that even if the card is ok, it will likely tend to be a half grade to a full grade overgraded.

Just my opinion but I would never but a GAI card that I couldn't see in person.

James G

YankeeCollector 07-06-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 906658)
Buy the card, not the holder. There are bad cards in every companies holders, just as there are good ones.

I totally agree if the card was like 100 dollars but for $4000-5000, im a bit skeptical.

Leon 07-06-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeCollector (Post 906664)
I totally agree if the card was like 100 dollars but for $4000-5000, im a bit skeptical.

Absolutely...Everything is relative. I can eat a hundred dollar card....a several thousand dollar one will taste much worse.

bobbyw8469 07-07-2011 08:35 AM

Leon...what goes good with a hundred dollar card? Ketchup or tobasco sauce? I have a Sport Kings card that I am gonna try out to see how good it is! :p

Leon 07-07-2011 08:38 AM

mustard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 906891)
Leon...what goes good with a hundred dollar card? Ketchup or tobasco sauce? I have a Sport Kings card that I am gonna try out to see how good it is! :p

Everything is good with mustard on it. Try some mustard. When I was a kid we put mustard on toast and ate it just like that.

As for this seller, isn't that Kevin Mize, who imploded and got banned from this board, or is it someone else?