Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Completed Auctions Question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334037)

JollyElm 04-10-2023 08:37 PM

Completed Auctions Question

This may be a simple question, but maybe not. When you use the 'advanced search' option on eBay, is there a way to see cards that were listed on eBay, but didn't actually sell there and were removed by the seller, perhaps because they were sold somewhere else?

For example: 'Huck' listed a card for sale on eBay, but while doing a show over the weekend, he sold it, so he immediately ended his eBay listing. Because it was first listed on eBay, will that card show up in the advanced search, or does it fall through the cracks since it was never part of an actual 'completed' auction that either sold or ran out of time?

raulus 04-10-2023 09:26 PM

I think so

When searching, filter by clicking the button for completed auctions. But don’t click the button for sold items.

The results that come up will show some pieces where the auction was ended. And others where the item was sold.

I read those results to suggest that the ended pieces didn’t sell over eBay, but the item likely sold offline. Or the seller decided to put it back in the drawer.

BobC 04-10-2023 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2331113)
When searching, filter by clicking the button for completed auctions. But don’t click the button for sold items.

The results that come up will show some pieces where the auction was ended. And others where the item was sold.

I read those results to suggest that the ended pieces didn’t sell over eBay, but the item likely sold offline. Or the seller decided to put it back in the drawer.

Or the seller just didn't get any bids on it and the auction simply ended with no buyer?

JollyElm 04-10-2023 10:00 PM

Maybe I needed to be clearer. Of course I hit the 'completed items' button by itself. The auction I'm looking for doesn't appear, nor has it ever when I've done this type of search before. And since the card didn't sell on eBay, the 'sold' option is out.

The bottom line is, if a card was listed but then pulled (regardless of reason), is there a way to track down what it was listed for? It seems that since there is nothing 'completed' about the auction, it just falls through the cracks.

The whole thing is no big deal, but I guess I'm just curious if there's a way to search out auctions that were never actually 'completed' in eBay terminology.

Jim65 04-11-2023 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2331118)
Maybe I needed to be clearer. Of course I hit the 'completed items' button by itself. The auction I'm looking for doesn't appear, nor has it ever when I've done this type of search before. And since the card didn't sell on eBay, the 'sold' option is out.

The bottom line is, if a card was listed but then pulled (regardless of reason), is there a way to track down what it was listed for? It seems that since there is nothing 'completed' about the auction, it just falls through the cracks.

The whole thing is no big deal, but I guess I'm just curious if there's a way to search out auctions that were never actually 'completed' in eBay terminology.

I don't believe these show up in completed searches, they really aren't completed. EBay should add an option to search all ended listings.

One trick I sometimes use, if you're looking for a specific item is to google the item with the word EBay in the search. Not foolproof but it will link to some ended listings.

raulus 04-11-2023 09:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2331145)
I don't believe these show up in completed searches, they really aren't completed. EBay should add an option to search all ended listings.

One trick I sometimes use, if you're looking for a specific item is to google the item with the word EBay in the search. Not foolproof but it will link to some ended listings.

Let's do an experiment and see how it works.

I just ended an auction for a Yogi Berra 1954 All-Star Photo Pack in PSA 5. It's been out there for months with a BIN museum price, with no takers, so it's not like I lose anything by ending it temporarily. For purposes of this experiment, it should be no different than if I sold it offline, and just ended the eBay auction.

It might take a few minutes/hours for the eBay search to update. But maybe try and do a search for completed items to see if it shows up. If not, then I guess we'll know whether items like this show up in the completed search results.

Edited to add: Looks like it's showing up as a completed auction now. So it seems like this search mechanism should work to find items that fit this criteria.