Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Books etc on Vintage Photos (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=300059)

Frankish 04-09-2021 11:51 AM

Books etc on Vintage Photos

Over the last few months I've been making my way into vintage photos, mostly by trial and error. Luckily, most of the lessons I've learned the hard way have been relatively inexpensive, with only one real boner.

I recently ordered a copy of the Yee-Oser-Fogel book A Portrait of Baseball Photography. Would anyone be willing to share some other resources I might look into? Anything from other books, guides, catalogs, or websites would be helpful. It is greatly appreciated!

Schlesinj 04-09-2021 12:16 PM

I think you got the right book, I read it cover to cover last year and reference it often. I think just search the internet for vintage photos websites will get you some other insights. I know a few members here are extremely knowledgeable, so search for those threads too.

D. Bergin 04-09-2021 12:46 PM

Anything published by David Rudd (Cycleback), who's also a member of this forum, is almost a necessity for photo collectors.

Combined with the Yee/Fogel/Oser book, you'll have a great start and a lifetime of resource material to brush up on every once in awhile.

lumberjack 04-09-2021 03:25 PM

photo collecting

Check out chapmandeadballcollection.com.

Oh, and don't do this to make money. You may end up making money, lord knows this stuff is only getting more expensive, but do it because you like the cool pictures of old guys with pancake gloves and sweaters that stretch down to their knees.
lumberjack

Frankish 04-09-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 2091256)

Oh, and don't do this to make money. You may end up making money, lord knows this stuff is only getting more expensive, but do it because you like the cool pictures of old guys with pancake gloves and sweaters that stretch down to their knees.
lumberjack

Thanks. That site has some great photos. I do love the players in sweaters, although my main period of interest really starts at the tail end of that period, the mid-20s on.

And sometimes I think I must be the dumbest person in this history of card collecting. Having bought cards on and off since the mid-70s, I've never made so much as a dime....

JLange 04-13-2021 09:56 AM

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing this website. I had not seen it before. What a great reference for early photo back stamps!

I also like the book, Baseball's Golden Age: The Photographs of Charles M. Conlon, by Neal and Constance McCabe, Harry Abrams Inc. Publishers, 1993.

The book is a tribute to his photography, with some of the best and most iconic baseball photos going into the late 1930s at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 2091256)

lumberjack

drcy 04-13-2021 10:45 AM

I plan on coming out with a new edition of my photo guide next year. Is ten years old now, figured it could use an update with more info.

I used to write a column at Sports Collectors Daily that has a good number of photo articles: link

Schlesinj 04-13-2021 03:24 PM

There is a Burke/Brace book that I own (The Game that was), but that is more of a history of George and lots of great pictures. It is always nice to see some pictures you own in books.

Frankish 04-14-2021 10:54 AM

Thanks again for recommendations. Read A Portrait of Baseball Photography cover to cover in one sitting...and even noticed that a couple of photos I have are in the book (small world!). It will definitely become a well-worn reference.

I'm digging through the other books and sites recommended. Thank you.

If anyone can think of any other references (I particularly love books), please post them....

lumberjack 04-18-2021 09:54 AM

vintage photos

If you have a minute, go to eBay and type in "Charles Conlon photos" under vintage sports collectables. You will find scores of vintage prints going for between 100 and 350 dollars on average. Some dealers are asking much more. There are some nice dead ball and 1920s shots. Nice ones.

Many of the pieces have been on there for months or years.

My point being, not that there is really no logical price guide for these shots, but that the market for original photos is one hundred yards wide and two inches deep.

If you look at the auction houses that are sending out telephone-book sized catalogues (when we all had land lines), they are mostly offering big name players like Ruth, Cobb, Matty, Gehrig, the Big Train and the Black Sox. That's where the money seems to be.
lumberjack

jbsports33 04-19-2021 11:00 AM

The more you buy the better you will understand, buy a collection that spans many years. This way you can feel them and touch the front and back, make sure you have an enough different sizes in the collection. I really like anything pre-1920, the paper can be so different, and many photographers still used the cabinet type cardboard - good luck!

I would also get familiar with 19th century, that s when collecting gets interesting!