Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Fake Cobb on EBay... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166655)

Blitzu 04-06-2013 08:29 PM

Fake Cobb on EBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-Ty-Cobb...item53f722579d

Beware. I've already reported it, but it could use your report too.

npa589 04-06-2013 08:36 PM

I just sent the seller a message and reported it. I usually assume the worst with sellers, but i do acknowledge the possibility that he was lied to by someone, and actually thinks it's original --- but I don't think it's a very likely alternative. If he knew it was worth 600$, then he would know it was worth around 1200 with that back.

I'm not very kind to these people in messages. Oh, and I also reported it.

CobbSpikedMe 04-06-2013 08:49 PM

My first reaction to this one is that the seller honestly doesn't know it's a reprint. They look like one of those "we sell anything for anyone" type of operations. I figured the consignor told them it was a 1909 card of Ty Cobb and they wanted the opening bid to be $699.99. The seller doesn't know it's fake and just lists it for the consignor as requested. They have 16K+ feedback. I don't see them knowingly trying to rip someone off on this card when this is obviously their business. If it was a casual seller with low feedback I would be more inclined to think they might be trying to scam people though. That's just my initial feelings on it though.

AndyH

npa589 04-06-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1113777)
My first reaction to this one is that the seller honestly doesn't know it's a reprint. They look like one of those "we sell anything for anyone" type of operations. I figured the consignor told them it was a 1909 card of Ty Cobb and they wanted the opening bid to be $699.99. The seller doesn't know it's fake and just lists it for the consignor as requested. They have 16K+ feedback. I don't see them knowingly trying to rip someone off on this card when this is obviously their business. If it was a casual seller with low feedback I would be more inclined to think they might be trying to scam people though. That's just my initial feelings on it though.

AndyH

Fair point, and I said as much in my message. I said "If you do know what you're doing, then.........If you do not, and think it's real, then I hope you didnt pay too much."

I hope you're right Andy, but I also hope someone doesn't purchase before it's taken off.

mr.t206 04-07-2013 11:36 AM

I to messaged the seller and advised them that the card was a fake. Their reply to me was "I was told it was real and I'm not taking it down". My reply to that was, as a seller I feel its your job to make sure of what your selling and know what your selling. Their response to me again and I quote "you are blocked from bidding on my auctions from here on out" I guess some people can't handle the truth. Needless to say I reported it. Hope ebay does their job and pulls it.

CobbSpikedMe 04-07-2013 12:22 PM

Well with responses like that I now have no sympathy for the seller being an innocent uninformed seller. Seems their business doesn't mean as much to them as I thought it would. It wouldn't take much effort for them to clarify for themselves if it were real or not and with that childish response they lose all credibility with me. Wow.

GoldenAge50s 04-07-2013 01:34 PM

Reported

Tcards-Please 04-07-2013 02:05 PM

He has another Best Offer, hopefully Ebay pulls the auction before the seller accepts. I reported as well.

r/
Frank

Cardboard Junkie 04-07-2013 05:08 PM

Gone! Like the snows of yesteryear.:D

Bored5000 04-07-2013 05:51 PM

Glad to see the listing was removed. The seller seemed like a total **** from his response.

Blitzu 04-07-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe (Post 1114012)
Well with responses like that I now have no sympathy for the seller being an innocent uninformed seller. Seems their business doesn't mean as much to them as I thought it would. It wouldn't take much effort for them to clarify for themselves if it were real or not and with that childish response they lose all credibility with me. Wow.

+ 1, Wow, what an arse!! Well, even though I'm sorry Nate was banned from his future listings, I'm sure it won't bother him none by avoiding paying full price for reprints. I never sent him anything because the last time I did I got a similar response. Not worth it.

Thanks everyone for the support pushing this off eBay. ;)

Bored5000 04-08-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzu (Post 1114229)
+ 1, Wow, what an arse!! Well, even though I'm sorry Nate was banned from his future listings, I'm sure it won't bother him none by avoiding paying full price for reprints. I never sent him anything because the last time I did I got a similar response. Not worth it. Thanks everyone for the support pushing this off eBay. ;)

Being banned from bidding on $700 reprints seemed like a terrible injustice to suffer. ;)

npa589 04-08-2013 11:50 AM

Haha, I'm not sure if I'm banned, but someone that does this kind of stuff is not an enterprise I want to put money into.