Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Worthy of a PSA Review? What do you guys think? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292836)

cmfxa 12-04-2020 04:10 AM

Worthy of a PSA Review? What do you guys think?

Hi everyone!

New to the forum and wanted to start off by introducing myself. My name's Colin and I'm a long time reader who's finally decided to register and start posting.
I absolutely love the forum and I found it to be the best resource when I was first learning about T206. There is so much information on here it's absolutely nuts, and I need to thank you guys for the great stuff you do for people getting into the hobby.

I come to the forum today to get an opinion on my T206 Jimmy Collins. It is a recent pickup of mine that I've been considering sending in for a PSA review since in hand, I think the card looks especially nice, even for an 8.
It's super clean with pretty nice centering (about 45/55 Left-Right, and the same Top-Bottom if measuring from bottom of the name), corners and an excellent surface. It also has a low cert number which makes me think half grades weren't being used when it was first graded.
Right now, it's pop 11 none higher, so getting the bump to 8.5 would be super exciting and the thought has clouded my head when it comes to being objective about the card :D

Here's the gallery of photos, note that most of the tiny scratches shown in the pictures are actually on the slab:

https://imgur.com/a/co3vazv

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/co3vazv" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/co3vazv">T206 Jimmy Collins</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Things I've noticed about the card that I think could hurt it:

- Top concern: Slight chipping/compression on lower left edge (picture #8)
- Blue ink registration goes slightly below bottom line on front
- Left to right centering on back (though many 9-10s have poor back centering)
- Tiny tobacco stains on back
- Bottom 2 corners look slightly better than upper 2

It would cost about $200 to have it reviewed by PSA (super express). Anyone think it could make the cut? Any opinions or questions are much appreciated! Glad to be part of the forum!

- Colin

swarmee 12-04-2020 04:24 AM

So, the card has a very old cert number (6M) in a new lighthouse slab, so it likely was reviewed in the past year.

But between the blue registration issue and the top left corner, you're not getting higher than an 8. Leave it the way it is.

How are you measuring Top/Bottom centering? To the picture frame or to the bottom of the text? Is that how PSA measures it, or are you guessing?

cmfxa 12-04-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2041837)
So, the card has a very old cert number (6M) in a new lighthouse slab, so it likely was reviewed in the past year.

But between the blue registration issue and the top left corner, you're not getting higher than an 8. Leave it the way it is.

How are you measuring Top/Bottom centering? To the picture frame or to the bottom of the text? Is that how PSA measures it, or are you guessing?

Yeah I know it's been reholdered recently, just not sure if it was sent in for a review.

Using a scan I measured the number of pixels from the frame to the edge of the card on the sides. If I measure from the bottom of the text, it's about the same as the sides, 45/55.

Appreciate you taking a look!

MattyC 12-04-2020 09:54 AM

PSA will take your fee and probably not even look at the card. Sadly there is a ton of politics in grading these days; they want to send the message that they are tough— and rejecting even worthy cards en masse conveys that message.

wazoo 12-04-2020 09:56 AM

That is an 8.

Throttlesteer 12-04-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazoo (Post 2041919)
That is an 8.

Agreed. PSA 8s are on par with early PSA 9s now. You would have a VERY tough time getting your Collins bumped.

cmfxa 12-04-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 2041918)
PSA will take your fee and probably not even look at the card. Sadly there is a ton of politics in grading these days; they want to send the message that they are tough— and rejecting even worthy cards en masse conveys that message.

Sad to hear that its gotten this bad but I can believe it, especially now that things have picked up so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazoo (Post 2041919)
That is an 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttlesteer (Post 2041921)
Agreed. PSA 8s are on par with early PSA 9s now. You would have a VERY tough time getting your Collins bumped.

Appreciate the advice guys, even if it's not the news I was hoping for :D

JeremyW 12-04-2020 03:33 PM

The borders are too large for a 8.5-9.

Michael B 12-04-2020 03:51 PM

So he should sent it to one of Probstein's friends?????

glynparson 12-04-2020 06:01 PM

I don’t think there is any chance at all
That gets higher than an 8. Honestly looks properly graded to me. If not higher than it would get if sent in raw today. With that one corner a 7-7.5 wouldn’t shock me. Other three corners are mint.

slightlyrounded 12-04-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 2042011)

Hahaha.

True.

cmfxa 12-04-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 2042011)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2042020)
So he should sent it to one of Probstein's friends?????

Hahahahaha

swarmee 12-05-2020 07:55 PM

Well, give it a shot. You might get a mechanical error PSA 10 GEM MINT...
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428366

Bridwell 12-05-2020 09:04 PM

Psa 8

You get a lot of sarcasm talking about PSA. But in all seriousness, it's an awesome card that looks great as a PSA 8. Best to leave it as is. People will pay top dollar for an 8 with large borders and great centering, so congrats.