Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1985 WWF Stickers: Topps vs. O-Pee-Chee (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=332518)

Facilitypro 03-05-2023 04:08 PM

1985 WWF Stickers: Topps vs. O-Pee-Chee

Hi all,

A couple weeks ago I submitted a batch of 1985 Topps WWF stickers and cards to PSA. I am 100% certain they are all Topps because they all came out of the same wax box I have owned for decades.

However, when I reviewed the order, I noticed PSA had all the stickers incorrectly listed as OPC, and the cards (correctly) as Topps. I submitted an error ticket and it was denied, and the stickers are STILL listed as OPC. I have put in a call but have not heard back yet.

From what I have seen/researched, OPC stickers have two asterisks in the card number circle, and Topps has one, but I have also seen stickers with one asterisk slabbed in an OPC labeled holder.

I have submitted two previous card/sticker orders to PSA before this with no problems.

My main questions are: Are there any other ways to tell an OPC sticker from a Topps one? And has anyone else had any issues like this with respect to PSA labels?

Thanks!

sthoemke 03-05-2023 05:50 PM

O-Pee-Chee has 1 star.

Topps has 2 stars.

Topps is much more common.

PSA might have got a few slabs wrong early on.

Facilitypro 03-06-2023 08:00 AM

I see, thank you sthoemke.

I wonder if at some point they just used the same stock, because all the stickers from this box had one asterisk. :confused: I'll have to see what PSA says if/when they ever reply to my inquiry.

maniac_73 03-06-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Facilitypro (Post 2320956)
I see, thank you sthoemke.

I wonder if at some point they just used the same stock, because all the stickers from this box had one asterisk. :confused: I'll have to see what PSA says if/when they ever reply to my inquiry.

I don’t think they would be as OPC were made out of one factory in London Ontario with all their other brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve B 03-06-2023 11:41 AM

Seems like PSA has no clue at all as usual.

The one they use to illustrate the "article" on the Topps set is graded as a Topps, but with one star.

Facilitypro 03-06-2023 01:20 PM

I just got off the phone with PSA and basically they have no idea whats going on. The rep said they will get back to me as soon as they have an answer. My cards and stickers are currently in "Assembly" and the stickers are still labeled as OPC and cards as Topps.

And for reference here is the ended eBay auction with a sticker from the last submission I made, one asterisk and labeled as Topps (and came from a Topps box.)

And to further confuse things, I looked at the set registry galleries and there are a mix of * and ** cards labeled as Topps.

sthoemke 03-06-2023 02:23 PM

I think PSA graded the stickers before they even realized there was an O-Pee-Chee set.

It might be possible that Topps printed the stickers for O-Pee-Chee and some were inserted into the Topps packages by mistake.

philliesfan 03-08-2023 08:57 AM

I had the same thing happen to me recently. I had a Hulk Hogan sticker come back noted as OPC when I thought it was Topps.

I purchased about a 1,000 card lot from a friend who opened many boxes. They were all Topps cards but the stickers had both 1* and 2**. I posed this same question many months ago and if I remember correctly, the only responses I got was that the Topps stickers were printed both with 1* and 2**.

So, is it sure that Topps was 1* and OPC was 2**? I would love to know for sure so I can sell them marked correctly.

Thanks,
Bob

Facilitypro 03-08-2023 03:31 PM

Thank you everyone! Based on all your comments, looking at PSA's set registry albums, and watching many videos of wax breaking 1985 WWF packs on youtube, I am pretty confident that Topps cards come with BOTH 1 and 2 star variations.

Perhaps the only way to tell would be if the card stock differs in thickness or something.

Facilitypro 04-12-2023 11:24 AM

I finally heard back from PSA about this issue. They said (in part) the following:

Quote:

According to the research team, the difference between OPC and Topps for this specific set is that there is a slight gloss on the back of Topps stickers where the OPC is completely matte.
I hope this helps. And I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the asterisks and the gloss on the back. But if anyone here thinks they have mislabeled stickers, feel free to ask PSA to re-slab them, as I am sure they will. (They offered to re-slab my last order's sticker, but I already sold it.)

philliesfan 04-12-2023 12:04 PM

Het thanks for this post. Now I need check mine.
Thanks,
Bob