Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any silver stackers on the board? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270205)

Peter_Spaeth 09-05-2019 09:24 PM

If silver was a good buy yesterday it's an even better buy today, down $1 an ounce.

Directly 09-06-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1914770)
If silver was a good buy yesterday it's an even better buy today, down $1 an ounce.

So could this be a good time to buy Jose Canseco RC, at their peek, trading around a C-note --now $1-$5 dollars--???

Peter_Spaeth 09-09-2019 07:30 PM

Back below 18 today. Strange market.

bnorth 09-09-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1915643)
Back below 18 today. Strange market.

It is going to go WAY up. Seen a commercial on TV saying it could go clear up to $100 a ounce. People trying to sell you silver wouldn't lie would they?

todeen 10-04-2019 10:30 PM

This was an interesting thread that died. I didn't really see any input by preppers, kind of shocking. Nor did there seem to be any historical explanations.

To make sense of a preppers' response, one must understand the historical understanding of currency. Over thousands of years humans have moved away from a barter based economy to a currency economy. Humans once used shells as a means of currency. Eventually, moving into minted coins - think of the Romans 2000 years ago. Although silver might seem like a worthless metal, it has defined human currency models for hundreds of years. Before the US Dollar, silver was the global currency. World exploration after Columbus was defined by silver when the most powerful global economies were based on the idea of mercantilism. England decimated the Qing dynasty (China) by robbing their coffers of silver, in exchange for opium. tsk tsk tsk. During the slave trade in the Atlantic, European economies realized they would bankrupt themselves if they purchased slaves with silver, so they turned to trading weapons and rum, among other trade goods. They took the slaves to the Americas where they were exchanged for silver, and the silver returned to Europe. Only in more modern times have individuals believed that paper currency can be backed by a country's GDP. It's an interesting concept that preppers think is based on sleight of hand.

Preppers therefore believe that if the global economy fails, or even the US economy, currency will revert to the previous system of trading in metals and trade goods. Why? Because historically, for thousands of years, people have believed that metals hold value. And gems. And things that glitter to the eye. One can't necessarily walk around with a Picasso or a Van Gogh, but one can walk around with a shiny coin in their pocket. One prepper book I read suggested a supply of junk metal, bullets, cigarettes, and some other trade goods that might be appealing to others. Obviously as has been quoted earlier, silver takes up a lot of space and is heavy. But it also can be divided much easier than gold. Can you imagine having to chip off flakes of gold? How bothersome! So junk silver, silver eagles, and silver bars would be much more beneficial in that regard.

packs 04-26-2020 02:51 PM

Anyone make any trades?

ronniehatesjazz 04-26-2020 03:57 PM

Cool thread, surprised I've never seen it before now. I've "stacked" on and off again since 2008. I'm not a prepper but I am wary of potential inflation and I think it's kind of a fun hobby. Worst investment decision I've ever made though was buying a bunch of palladium at $200/oz and selling it at $450 only to see it cross $2k years down the road.

The cool part about it IMO is the history... getting gold coins for Europe that are hundreds of years old at a slight markup to spot is a fair price and just incredibly cool. The bad part is when it goes beyond this IMO and collectors/investors fall victim to charlatans who are either projecting "Gold to $10,000 by 2025....buy my book" or slinging a "Collectors Edition Chewbaka 2 oz silver round" for only 4X spot... basically lots of people get burnt and have no clue what they're doing.

I will be buying some again in the near future but can't justify paying the spreads right now. I'll just play GLD until I get a chance.

Cliff Bowman 04-26-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1921441)
This was an interesting thread that died.

So have the Net54 accounts of many of the participants in it.

rgpete 04-26-2020 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1892975)
David- I believe that $20 bill is dated 1950.

Interestingly, while any $20 will purchase $20 worth of goods, in the late 19th-early 20th century consumers had more faith in gold and silver certificates than they did in federal reserve notes or other forms of currency..

A different version for gold in a Federal Reserve Note

rgpete 04-26-2020 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1889638)
All these card doctor threads really have me depressed. I think I'm going to take a break from cards right now and focus more on my other passion...stacking silver. Any other silver stackers on the board? If so, how long have you been stacking? What are you currently stacking?

I've been stacking for about 6 years, but I bought my first silver (and gold) bullion back in 2002.

I mostly stack SilverTowne bars and junk silver. But I dabble in other areas too. Lately, I've been on a junk silver kick. With 13% eBay Bucks last week, I purchased 2 rolls of Kennedy halves one day and 2 rolls of Washington quarters the following day. I got $31.62 in eBay Bucks on the halves and $31.04 on the quarters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-DATES-...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-DATES-...72.m2749.l2649

I probably could have purchased them cheaper at my LCS, but over $60 in eBay Bucks made it a pretty sweet deal!

So, any other stackers on here? Let's get a conversation going? Maybe we can learn from each other? Or, if you're not a stacker but have questions, just ask. I'll try and help any way I can.

1963 Kennedy Half by Daniel Carr

vintagetoppsguy 04-30-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1975022)
Anyone make any trades?

Not me. Silver is very hard to find in my area right now with premiums of $5-8 an ounce (or more) when you can find it. And a lot of the online dealers are sold out or have very little stock. Even then, they're telling customers 5-6 weeks for delivery. If anyone has any for sale, let me know. I prefer junk silver, generic bullion or ASEs - nothing collectible with high premiums.

2dueces 05-05-2020 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few ASE’s and Indian Heads in the collection but I’ve been purchasing gold at spot or above for years. Nothing major, just a coin here and there a month. It adds up over the years. My latest passion is British Sovereigns. Beautiful little coins and almost 1/4 ounce of gold. My latest.

bbcard1 05-05-2020 05:16 PM

The last couple of years, I've tried to buy an ounce of gold and a little silver. I usually like the Australian stuff...it's pretty.

vintagetoppsguy 05-21-2020 03:23 PM

Anybody able to find any silver at their LCS or elsewhere? My LCS sells it as quickly as he gets it. If you've bought some, what kind of prices are you paying? I see it for sale on eBay and generic 1 oz bars and rounds seem to be going for about $24-$28 delivered. I just can't see paying that much. Then again, I may be looking back in a few months from now and be wishing I'd picked it up at that bargain price. Who knows?

My LCS has plenty of junk silver (90% silver coins). Last week, I purchased some Peace Dollars and Mercury Dimes. I paid $18 each for the Peace Dollars so 18X FV, and I paid $1.50 each for the Mercury Dimes so 15X FV. How much is junk silver going for where you live?

I'll probably go back to my LCS this weekend and hopefully he has some bullion but, if not, I'll buy some more junk...maybe some halves.

What are your recent experiences?

Mikehealer 05-24-2020 01:33 PM

David, I would say that's a good deal on the silver dollars. From my experience
silver dollars usually sell for a little more than the ounce spot price. I had a good friend a couple of years ago selling his mom's silver coins and the local coin shop offered $17 each for the dollars, silver at the time was between $14-15.

ronniehatesjazz 05-26-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehealer (Post 1983814)
David, I would say that's a good deal on the silver dollars. From my experience
silver dollars usually sell for a little more than the ounce spot price. I had a good friend a couple of years ago selling his mom's silver coins and the local coin shop offered $17 each for the dollars, silver at the time was between $14-15.

This is correct. Typically spreads are ~$1 over spot for rounds and $2-4 for eagles (over the recent 10+ years... obviously a percentage is more useful for spot prices significantly less than or greater than they are today). Right now spreads are wild but to mitigate it you could buy at basically spot with GLD or SLV. I think there is still a lot of value in having physical bullion (just my opinion with unfortunately no insight to the future of gold and silver prices) but if it's for purely an investment a mix of one of the ETF's and physical could be a nice play (in case something happens to the ETF... delivery issues, unlikely government confiscation, etc.) as the physical will still have a spread over spot on the bid side. If it's more from a collecting aspect, I would hold off for spreads to drop or just buy a small amount at today's prices.

Mikehealer 05-30-2020 07:47 AM

I buy gold and silver that I like. The same way I buy cards. As for gold, the $10 gold Indians are easily my favorites.
I like silver dollars and halves, especially the walkers as well as old silver bars.

https://photos.imageevent.com/mhgt/w...2CB50FF2A.jpeg

vintagetoppsguy 07-03-2020 04:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally picked up some silver today from US Coin and Jewelry here in Houston. I paid $20.50/oz. I thought that was a pretty good price. It seems like the premiums are back to where they were pre-pandemic.

I picked up (10) 1oz Merrill Lynch bars and (2) 5oz SilverTowne bars.

Snapolit1 07-05-2020 02:12 PM

Granted these bars are kind of cool, but why not just plow money into a ETF or fund specializing in silver, and not have to worry bout storing bars in a shoebox in your garage and having to sell them some day?

bnorth 07-05-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1996528)
Granted these bars are kind of cool, but why not just plow money into a ETF or fund specializing in silver, and not have to worry bout storing bars in a shoebox in your garage and having to sell them some day?

Because when the worlds economy tanks everyone will automatically know silver is worth something. I know when paper money is no longer good I would happily trade food and water for silver because it is so cool and extremely useful.

Snapolit1 07-05-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1996540)
Because when the worlds economy tanks everyone will automatically know silver is worth something. I know when paper money is no longer good I would happily trade food and water for silver because it is so cool and extremely useful.

So when the world economy tanks and pandemonium sets in, you are going to walk to the nearest Subway sandwich store (which will be open and have food) and hand a silver bar to some guy in exchange for a few 6 inch subs? Or there will be gas at the nearest place miraculously and the guy happily take a silver bar?

No, I don't get it.

The UK is in its worst economic situation in 300 years. Are there people in pubs in London paying for pints with silver bars?

bnorth 07-05-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1996593)
So when the world economy tanks and pandemonium sets in, you are going to walk to the nearest Subway sandwich store (which will be open and have food) and hand a silver bar to some guy in exchange for a few 6 inch subs? Or there will be gas at the nearest place miraculously and the guy happily take a silver bar?

No, I don't get it.

The UK is in its worst economic situation in 300 years. Are there people in pubs in London paying for pints with silver bars?

I don't get it either. If you go to a prepper site many there can explain(LOL) why silver with be a valuable commodity if everything else fails.

For normal people I could see the coolness of having some silver bars laying around. I know a lot of people with a few of them, nowhere new investment amounts.

Mark17 07-06-2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1996602)
I don't get it either. If you go to a prepper site many there can explain(LOL) why silver with be a valuable commodity if everything else fails.

For normal people I could see the coolness of having some silver bars laying around. I know a lot of people with a few of them, nowhere new investment amounts.

It's diversification. I see it as a bit of an insurance policy against having everything in digital wealth.

You need some cash of course. Rental real estate is next in my humble opinion. Then stocks. Then tangible assets like vintage cards and metals. And have a pantry full of non-perishable foods, ample supplies of soap, toothpaste, TP, and so on.

Hold some mix of these things and you're about as well fortified as you can be to head into the future.

vintagetoppsguy 07-06-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1996602)

No matter how much silver I own, I will never look at it as if it's an investment. If one is buying silver as an investment, they are surely to be disappointed. For me, it's diversification and an insurance policy as Mark mentioned. I take a look at everything that's going on within our government where the Treasury printing presses are turning nonstop, and then I look at the massive amounts of debt and I can't help but to wonder how much longer can the house of cards continue to last before it all comes crashing down? Do you think we can really sustain that long term? What is your fiat currency backed by? A promise? Silver has intrinsic value and it's been a form of currency of over 5000 years. I don't put all my money into silver. I have my 401k and HSA that I fully fund, as well as a separate brokerage account and other smaller investments too. I don't put all my eggs in one basket. Silver (or other metals) aren't for everyone. If you don't like it, stay away from it. Don't buy it. But because you don't get it, don't knock me and anyone else for it.

White Borders 07-14-2020 03:07 AM

I'm not really a silver stacker and I'm not really into numismatics, but I did pick up a couple of Morgan dollars in an auction yesterday.

bbcard1 07-14-2020 08:18 AM

An ounce of silver costs about the same as a lot of the commons I collect and is about as much fun to look at if you get if from a country that makes cool coins.

vintagetoppsguy 07-14-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Borders (Post 1998692)
I'm not really a silver stacker and I'm not really into numismatics, but I did pick up a couple of Morgan dollars in an auction yesterday.

Would love to see pics. I don't own any Morgans right now, but I do have a lot of off-condition peace dollars that I bought just for the silver content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 1998739)
An ounce of silver costs about the same as a lot of the commons I collect and is about as much fun to look at if you get if from a country that makes cool coins.

I love looking at the artwork on some of the coins and rounds from foreign countries. I don't personally buy them because of the high premiums associated with them (I'm more about weight, not collectability), but they sure are nice to look at.

packs 07-14-2020 10:21 AM

Old coins are probably the sole source of silver that I have. I inherited a coin collection from an uncle, who inherited a large portion of it from my grandmother. I would never sell any of the pieces because of the family connection but my grandmother kept a stash of about 50 (mostly peace with some morgan) dollar coins with her for her entire life. She grew up in the depression and the fear of being left with nothing never left her. Most of the peace dollars are from the 20s and 30s but mixed in are some morgan dollars from the turn of the century. My uncle told me that while she was growing up, my grandmother's family kept them stashed under a floor board in their apartment. When she moved out of the house, her parents gave her the stash as a wedding gift.

vintagetoppsguy 07-14-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1998791)
Old coins are probably the sole source of silver that I have. I inherited a coin collection from an uncle, who inherited a large portion of it from my grandmother. I would never sell any of the pieces because of the family connection but my grandmother kept a stash of about 50 (mostly peace with some morgan) dollar coins with her for her entire life. She grew up in the depression and the fear of being left with nothing never left her. Most of the peace dollars are from the 20s and 30s but mixed in are some morgan dollars from the turn of the century. My uncle told me that while she was growing up, my grandmother's family kept them stashed under a floor board in their apartment. When she moved out of the house, her parents gave her the stash as a wedding gift.

That's a very cool story. And I'm glad to hear you've hung on to them. Hopefully you can pass them down to your kids or a family member with that same story and they'll appreciate them just as much.

One thing that really bothers me is when people inherit something and their first thought is, "How much $ can I get for this?" Doesn't sentimental value mean anything anymore? If your relative wanted you to have the money, they would have sold the item and given you the money. The item meant more to them than the money and its sentimental value should have meaning to the person who's left to inherit it. Unfortunately that's not the way it works most of the time.

egri 07-14-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1998791)

My grandmother had a stash of old silver dollars that her parents kept for the same reason; when the stock market crashed and the banks failed, my great-grandparents lost just about everything. Then a few years ago, when her dementia started setting in, my grandmother tried to spend them at face value :eek:. My dad and his brothers talked her out of it.

White Borders 07-14-2020 05:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a third Morgan dollar today. Here's the best image from the auction web site. When I tried to copy the other images, they were a bit pixelated. I have some bids on some more Morgans ending tomorrow.

Attachment 409337
Attachment 409338

(Just noticed the Morgan dollar kinda puts Leon's quarter to shame, hehe!)

White Borders 07-14-2020 06:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
From another auction company I picked up some recently minted 1oz .999 silver rounds: Pledge of Allegiance, Austrian Philharmonic, and Australian Koala. I was the under bidder on the one I really wanted, Chinese Panda.

Attachment 409339
Attachment 409340

Attachment 409341
Attachment 409342

Attachment 409343
Attachment 409344

vintagetoppsguy 07-14-2020 06:14 PM

All nice pick ups. I really love the Koala.

White Borders 07-14-2020 06:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My final pickup was this silver Denarius. It was more due to my interest in European history (from the time of Julius Caesar to the end of WWI). The only thing I know about the Denarius at the end of the first century is what I just read online: That it weighed 3.41 grams (0.12 oz) and was 93.5% purity.

Attachment 409346
Attachment 409347
Attachment 409348

vintagetoppsguy 07-21-2020 10:12 AM

I ran across this deal and wanted to share it with anyone that might be interested - a 10oz bar at spot price. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, I just thought it was a great deal. Silver is way up today, I think it's at a 6 year high (I don't have the historical chart in front of me to verify that but, if not, then it's pretty close).

https://silvergoldbull.com/10-oz-sil...x-0GBgXbw_ZHMI

White Borders 07-21-2020 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2001138)
I ran across this deal and wanted to share it with anyone that might be interested - a 10oz bar at spot price. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way, I just thought it was a great deal. Silver is way up today, I think it's at a 6 year high (I don't have the historical chart in front of me to verify that but, if not, then it's pretty close).

Here's the 5 year silver chart

Attachment 410421

bnorth 07-22-2020 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2001138)

https://silvergoldbull.com/10-oz-sil...x-0GBgXbw_ZHMI

Wouldn't buying at a 6 year high be about the worst time to buy? Isn't silver like cards, buy low sell high?

vintagetoppsguy 07-22-2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2001426)
Wouldn't buying at a 6 year high be about the worst time to buy? Isn't silver like cards, buy low sell high?

It depends on if one thinks it will climb even higher or not.

When I posted that yesterday, silver was twenty one dollars and some change. As I'm typing this message, it's twenty three dollars and some change. If you bought yesterday, you already made money. if you sold yesterday, you lost money.

But the bigger picture, at least for me, is that the GSR continues to get smaller and smaller. I'm going to hold off on silver right now and start focusing on gold...at least for a little while.

I believe the stock market is about to take a blood bath that will continue to last into most of next year (maybe longer). And I think you'll see it start to happen by the end of this month, maybe early next month. Here are today's markets just so we can have a point or reference.

Dow 26,840.40
Nasdaq 10,680.36
S&P 3257.30

bnorth 07-22-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2001433)
It depends on if one thinks it will climb even higher or not.

When I posted that yesterday, silver was twenty one dollars and some change. As I'm typing this message, it's twenty three dollars and some change. If you bought yesterday, you already made money. if you sold yesterday, you lost money.

But the bigger picture, at least for me, is that the GSR continues to get smaller and smaller. I'm going to hold off on silver right now and start focusing on gold...at least for a little while.

I believe the stock market is about to take a blood bath that will continue to last into most of next year (maybe longer). And I think you'll see it start to happen by the end of this month, maybe early next month. Here are today's markets just so we can have a point or reference.

Dow 26,840.40
Nasdaq 10,680.36
S&P 3257.30

I know it is easy to find silver bars/coins to buy at or around the going rate. How does one sell it to get maximum return? Is it like cards where they have to increase at least 15-20%(AH/eBay fees) just to break even. Is there any sites were people buy and sell at no fees like the BST on here?

I am not interested in doing it but would like to learn how it is done properly.

vintagetoppsguy 07-22-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2001446)
I know it is easy to find silver bars/coins to buy at or around the going rate. How does one sell it to get maximum return? Is it like cards where they have to increase at least 15-20%(AH/eBay fees) just to break even. Is there any sites were people buy and sell at no fees like the BST on here?

I am not interested in doing it but would like to learn how it is done properly.

There are a lot of websites that offer a special "at spot" price to first time customers (like the link I shared yesterday). It's usually only one per customer/address, but you could probably take advantage of it several times and just have it shipped to different friends/family member's addresses.

As far as selling, you have the usual platforms like Facebook, Craigslist, Offer Up, Nextdoor, etc. but, just like with cards (or anything else), you have to be careful about who you meet and where you meet them.

I'm definitely not a flipper and a flipper may be able to offer much better advice, but that's what I hear from the flippers I know.

rgpete 07-22-2020 04:36 PM

I bought a 5 oz Monarch precious metals Silver bar back in Feb 26 2015 at $16.56 per oz with a .89 cents spot per oz from Monarch precious metals they had a special at that time, all said and done buying on credit and postage was 95.82 as of today with that bar I have a 53% gain holding long term, today the same bar costs $146.74 with silver being at $23.14 per oz and buying on credit card. The 5 oz bar was $ 87.25 with spot included in 2015

rgpete 07-22-2020 06:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Dad had bought this for me back in 1973 and did not sell when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market in 1980 known as silver Thursday This is still kept in the original mail package

rgpete 07-22-2020 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Borders (Post 1999016)
My final pickup was this silver Denarius. It was more due to my interest in European history (from the time of Julius Caesar to the end of WWI). The only thing I know about the Denarius at the end of the first century is what I just read online: That it weighed 3.41 grams (0.12 oz) and was 93.5% purity.

Attachment 409346
Attachment 409347
Attachment 409348

Off Topic I had found this fragment on the ground outside the remains of a 1st Century BC Roman Villa in Italy during vacation

White Borders 07-23-2020 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 2001696)
Off Topic I had found this fragment on the ground outside the remains of a 1st Century BC Roman Villa in Italy during vacation

Wow, that's cool! Thanks for sharing :)

ocjack 07-24-2020 12:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Digging thru boxes of forgotten collectibles, came across my old coin collection books (the blue Whitman ones). But also found this. My father owned a gas station in the 60's and won this when a Gates salesmen (mystery shopper) drove in and my father suggested he needed new belts. I never took the coins out because I liked the way they were represented and of course, original packaging is always best. The years in the top row are 1923 and 1922, the center one is 1921 and the bottom row is 1921 and 1935 (left to right). It's always fun finding something you forgot you had.

vintagetoppsguy 07-24-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 2001655)
My Dad had bought this for me back in 1973 and did not sell when the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market in 1980 known as silver Thursday This is still kept in the original mail package

That is so cool. The toning on the bars makes it even cooler. Thanks for sharing.

vintagetoppsguy 07-24-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocjack (Post 2002368)
Digging thru boxes of forgotten collectibles, came across my old coin collection books (the blue Whitman ones). But also found this. My father owned a gas station in the 60's and won this when a Gates salesmen (mystery shopper) drove in and my father suggested he needed new belts. I never took the coins out because I liked the way they were represented and of course, original packaging is always best. The years in the top row are 1923 and 1922, the center one is 1921 and the bottom row is 1921 and 1935 (left to right). It's always fun finding something you forgot you had.

Cool piece and story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

MikeGarcia 07-24-2020 07:06 PM

Great timing

Quote:

..did you see the spot silver price at end of trading today ? Wowee. Yer rich. RICH , I tell ya !!

White Borders 07-24-2020 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 410849

rgpete 07-25-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

That is nice that you have that from your Dad