Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How many of us have been there? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297060)

Cooper1927 02-19-2021 11:36 AM

How many of us have been there?
 
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c29a5973d6.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touch'EmAll 02-19-2021 02:37 PM

Ha ! Good one. I got caught a year ago when I didn't tell my wife about a $1200. card I bought. The shipping was delayed and she found out - wasn't real happy with me for keeping a large purchase secret.

I have always been hesitant to tell the wife of purchases. Usually I try to convince her we won't lose money. Now I have been hesitant to tell her how much the collection is worth in todays market - don't want her to get any ideas of thinking about a house remodel with the (paper) profits.

Republicaninmass 02-19-2021 03:15 PM

Mine saw basically a small college refrigerator box from REA. A little upset about that much crap in the house

todeen 02-19-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100backstroke (Post 2070719)
I have always been hesitant to tell the wife of purchases. Usually I try to convince her we won't lose money. Now I have been hesitant to tell her how much the collection is worth in todays market - don't want her to get any ideas of thinking about a house remodel with the (paper) profits.

My wife is on a debt payoff kick. It's good for the family and doesn't bother me. She gets very anxious about debt; her dad was on strike for 3 years, and they lived meekly. Baseball cards are a horrible waste of money in her opinion. So I don't share much about cards with her. Anyway, she reduced my monthly allotment to purchase cards to $100, which is fine, I am good at making it stretch usually. Barry Larkin stuff isn't very expensive. But I just spent 70% of my yearly budget on one card, and I didn't tell her....yet. I'm waiting for a doghouse moment where I can just blurt out that I bought another baseball card.

rgpete 02-24-2021 08:20 PM

Don't tell if not asked. My cards are bought from money that I saved from my wood projects

seanofjapan 02-24-2021 08:32 PM

I live in Japan. I used to buy cards from American sellers on Ebay. I would try to keep my purchase totals low so there wouldn’t be any customs duties on them, but one day I found a bargain that I couldn’t resist that was significantly over the duty free limit.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I get home from work to find the card had arrived (great) and my wife knew exactly how much it had cost because SHE had unexpectedly found herself having to pay the customs duties on it when the mailman delivered it (not so great).

todeen 02-24-2021 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2070840)
My wife is on a debt payoff kick. It's good for the family and doesn't bother me. She gets very anxious about debt; her dad was on strike for 3 years, and they lived meekly. Baseball cards are a horrible waste of money in her opinion. So I don't share much about cards with her. Anyway, she reduced my monthly allotment to purchase cards to $100, which is fine, I am good at making it stretch usually. Barry Larkin stuff isn't very expensive. But I just spent 70% of my yearly budget on one card, and I didn't tell her....yet. I'm waiting for a doghouse moment where I can just blurt out that I bought another baseball card.

Update: my wife asked if I bought a new card. I said yes and of course, she couldn't believe how foolish I was....blah blah blah.... she's still upset but we had a nice conversation with my 7 year old son about credit, debts, and paying off debt. I'm sure he stopped caring about the time of the second sentence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nebboy 02-25-2021 06:18 AM

My wife gives me a harder time when I sell off things. She says I’m snicking off to the post office. She’s thinks people will rip me off and distrusts “a bunch of guys that spend money on cardboard”. Last is that she never sees and of the money because I just turn around and buy 1 more expensive card instead of the bunch of lower end ones. “Isn’t it better to have more????.”

UKCardGuy 02-25-2021 09:34 AM

I have a good size vintage lunch box collection. My wife positively encouraged me to focus on cards because they take up A LOT less room than lunchboxes :D

todeen 02-25-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2073304)
I have a good size vintage lunch box collection. My wife positively encouraged me to focus on cards because they take up A LOT less room than lunchboxes :D

My 7 yr old son's resolution was that my wife continue to pay off debt, and I continue to buy cards, and we could both be happy! I thought he was wise, my wife just looked at me like I was poisoning my son with illogical thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JollyElm 02-25-2021 04:34 PM

Shameless plug :rolleyes:. For a chuckle, check out numbers 53 & 255 in this thread...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293235

D. Bergin 02-26-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2070733)
Mine saw basically a small college refrigerator box from REA. A little upset about that much crap in the house


That's my biggest problem. How much space is it going to take up? Isn't your office getting kind of messy?

I really miss our big attic in our last house. Now we have a bigger yard for the dogs, but less storage for Dave. Had to get really creative with racks on wheels in my new storage room.

todeen 02-26-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2073430)
Shameless plug :rolleyes:. For a chuckle, check out numbers 53 & 255 in this thread...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293235

Those are great! I read them when you posted them originally.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.