Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Grading and Ungraded (Raw) Set Buliding (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220202)

HOF Yankees 03-27-2016 11:28 PM

Grading and Ungraded (Raw) Set Buliding

I am building both 1959 Topps Baseball and 1960 Topps Baseball sets and something came to mind that I would like some help on. I have cards in both sets both graded and un graded I like it but its getting to the point where I wanna get close to finishing, opinions continue with the graded/ungraded thing or do one or the other? Also what crossed my mind I wanna hold the cards in pure form, and be able to look through them in a binder with pages, is that the best way to go? Last with the big cards big named rookies, hofers, sp's, would it be better to buy those graded or keep with the theme of ungraded and put them in the binder with pages? Thanks for the help.

BBB 03-28-2016 12:08 AM

Grading and Ungraded (Raw) Set Buliding

Most of it personal choice for sure. Personally, I like keeping them slabbed and in boxes. That's part of why I go for smaller sets. The 33 Goudey takes up more than 3 1/2 boxes on its own .

Used to have the Goudey in a binder (15 years unmoved). But wanted to keep it more liquid and less interpretative for grade/value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCRfan1 03-28-2016 05:10 AM

The set that I am working on, I am buying graded HoFr's. The rest of the set is ungraded. This not only saves space but it spares a lot of additional expenses too.

kailes2872 03-28-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1519967)
The set that I am working on, I am buying graded HoFr's. The rest of the set is ungraded. This not only saves space but it spares a lot of additional expenses too.

+1. I make photo copies of the graded cards - front and back - and I put them in the appropriate sleeves of the binders. I also have a label maker that noted the cert# and other appropriate PSA info of the graded card. In a perfect world, I would prefer to have a filler for the binder and a nice graded one as well and in some cases I do - but the photo copy keeps the binder full and reminds me of what is in the spot when I look at them.

bnorth 03-28-2016 08:06 AM

I personally only collect sets in raw form. I can have the same exact quality of cards for way less than half the cost.

ALR-bishop 03-28-2016 09:18 AM

Sets

I have a Topps run and they are all in sheets and binders, with only a handful of graded cards. That is my preference as a hobby collector for easy access to the entire set...and the overlay of variations/variants within the sets.

But, if I was putting together sets with a view toward eventual sale and maximum appreciation, I would grade the key cards

bnorth 03-28-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1520025)

But, if I was putting together sets with a view toward eventual sale and maximum appreciation, I would grade the key cards

I agree with Al on this point but would wait till you decided to sell to see what grading companies magic plastic holders work the best at that point in time. Just because one sells for more now does not mean it will in the future.

HOF Yankees 03-28-2016 11:18 AM

thanks all for the tips

Tom S. 03-28-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1520003)
I personally only collect sets in raw form. I can have the same exact quality of cards for way less than half the cost.

+1