Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Any love for signed Perez steeles? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330012)

homerunhitter 01-07-2023 10:19 AM

Any love for signed Perez steeles?

Is it just me but for HOF autograph collectors aren’t signed Perez Steele postcards the most beautiful amazing things to collect/get signed? Any love gif them? Anyone collect them?

Kaneen 01-08-2023 02:53 AM

I Love Perez-Steele Signed Postcards

I collect them...here are links to threads I posted with pics of my Perez-Steele signed sets. I haven't gotten around to posting my regular HOF set yet, but hope to sometime soon.

Kaneen's Signed Perez-Steele Great Moments Set

Kaneen's Signed Perez-Steele Celebration Set

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-08-2023 06:24 AM

In the 80's, the quality of most baseball art was horrid. At the time, Perez' art seemed palatable because there simply weren't appealing alternatives. Fast forward to today, and I can't even look at his work. It's awful! So much in the way of blotchy skin tones and the faces often look like the work of a questionably talented young teenager at best. Did all white players suffer from rosacea?

Artists like Graig blew Perez out of the water.

My statements are only opinions. They're neither correct nor incorrect. It's art (or "art", depending on your position). Subjective.

Huck 01-08-2023 12:36 PM

Think about it, what would be the best item for multiple signatures of hof players?

When, the majority of my hobby funds switched from cards to autographs and memorabilia, initially I was not impressed with Perez-Steele. I always had the player sign a ball and depending on the player a b&w photo. Over the years, as I watched signatures on signed balls fade and bleed to oblivion, I realized that I should have given Perez-Steele postcards more consideration. The cards were the perfect item for signatures.

At the time (late 80's early 90's) I could not find an oversize picture of the HOF for players to sign. Eventually, a collecting friend took a picture of the hall, had a friend airbrush away the occasional visitor and an oversize picture of the hall was the new medium for hof signatures. Currently, there are 50 plus signatures on the HOF picture. I never had a player sign a ball again.

Well over a decade ago, I had an idea for a Bill Mazeroski piece and I thought the standard Perez-Steele postcard would work. Now, I have about 30 of the post cards signed and I am still holding out hope for the final two possible gets (Brett and the impossible Koufax). I wish that I had started with Perez-Steele sooner, because I would have had another 10-12 signed cards of some of the greats, especially Mantle and Ted Williams. Personally, I thought Bill Purdom was the best artist of that era. I have about 10 signed Purdom lithographs. Kreindler is the best I have ever seen. Neither artist did post cards, and from conversing with both men; both stated the difficulty with the licensing when working with MLB, the HOF, players or the players estate. I wish Kreindler would produce lithographs of living players. I believe limited edition of Kreindler lithographs of living players would crush. I would be a buyer.

There is a vendor at the CSA show who sells framed autographed pictures of multiple sports. He has been setting up at CSA forever. He has the entire Perez-Steele celebration set (one or two cards unsigned) which is just an awesome piece.

Bigdaddy 01-08-2023 09:14 PM

Yep, I'll hold my hand up on this one. Collected them pretty heavily in the late '80s, into the early '90's (along with Gary Thomas PFHOF cards).

To me, they are a step up from autographed photos, and like a previous poster mentioned, they hold an autograph well. Seen a lot of faded signatures on baseballs. I also like the fact that they are serially numbered and limited in production, unlike photos and baseballs. And personally, I like the art.

In general, I see a lower number of forgeries on PS than on other mediums. However, when the studio quit producing postcards, I lost some momentum on the chase.

Huck 01-09-2023 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 2302396)
Yep, I'll hold my hand up on this one. Collected them pretty heavily in the late '80s, into the early '90's (along with Gary Thomas PFHOF cards).

To me, they are a step up from autographed photos, and like a previous poster mentioned, they hold an autograph well. Seen a lot of faded signatures on baseballs. I also like the fact that they are serially numbered and limited in production, unlike photos and baseballs. And personally, I like the art.

In general, I see a lower number of forgeries on PS than on other mediums. However, when the studio quit producing postcards, I lost some momentum on the chase.

I prefer PS and Sport Illustrated covers over the stock photographs at shows. The PS cards were a nice alternative. Production ceased with the 15th series (2001 induction class). Football has the Goal Line Art Cards (GLAC), I guess baseball with have to live with the HOF induction cards, which I personally don't like.

Correction - In an earlier post, I stated having 30 cards. This morning, I checked the database and I have 49 of the post cards signed. Brett will make 50 and then I will have the cards framed. I never say never, but I don't think getting Koufax is going to come to fruition.

dgo71 01-13-2023 11:07 PM

Huck, Koufax isn't hard to find on P/S cards. If you are not opposed to picking one up that was previously signed you can find one for a fraction of the price he charges for his private signings.

Huck 01-15-2023 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgo71 (Post 2304059)
Huck, Koufax isn't hard to find on P/S cards. If you are not opposed to picking one up that was previously signed you can find one for a fraction of the price he charges for his private signings.

Yes, I have seen the PS Koufax signed cards on eBay. I have thought about purchasing signed PS cards but thus far have refrained. When I ventured down the autograph niche of the hobby, the plan was to only get autographs in person. Over the years, I relaxed the in person requirement because I can't be everywhere. I have dabbled in TTM, utilized the services of family/fellow collectors and mail order but in person was a hard rule for the major stars. Even though the autograph is deemed authentic by the major authenticators (their opinion), that little voice in me would always wonder - "is it legit", especially for a Koufax not so much for a Terry Moore or Farris Fain. I was fortunate to get Koufax at a Tuff-Stuff show back in 1994 or 1995 (I would have to check the exact date) so his signature is in the collection, just not on a PS card.

dgo71 01-15-2023 11:40 AM

Completely understand that philosophy!