Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   '89 Fleer Ripken F-Face (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152813)

jp1216 06-21-2012 06:20 PM

'89 Fleer Ripken F-Face

Thanks Leon for the new sub-board. My collection leans to the pre-war stuff now, but my devotion to the '89 Fleer Ripken card will live forever!

http://www.billripken.com

(outdated website - needs work)

If anyone wants to contribute information, stories or cards ;), please contact me anytime - or post on this thread. This card brought me back into collecting while in H.S. It keeps the kid in me going strong.

The error itself isn't rare, but a few of the corrections are. Dozens of corrections - that is where the story is.

UOFLfan7 06-21-2012 06:30 PM

Haha! The classic error card that should of never made it to the market.

Wonder how many young kids were scarred for life by the Bill Ripkin F*** Face card. I can just imagine the faces of parents when their kid pulled that Bill Ripken from their newly obtained pack of baseball cards! Then Fleer tries to correct it by putting a black box over the bottom of the bat haha.

Wonder what Cal Ripken thought of this........

Deertick 06-21-2012 09:17 PM

I had several 'variations' that had a small sticker over the end of the bat. Turns out they were the rarest of the bunch! (original, scratch out, black box)

Gary Dunaier 06-22-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1006208)
I had several 'variations' that had a small sticker over the end of the bat. Turns out they were the rarest of the bunch! (original, scratch out, black box)

A sticker? A manually-applied-by-hand sticker? Sounds labor-intensive to me, and if indeed those are the rarest versions of the variety it seems to me - at this point I should say I've never seen one, so take what I'm about to say with however many grains of salt as you wish - that it can easily be faked. Anyone can add a sticker.

UOFLfan7 06-22-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1006208)

I too have never seen a version where there was a manually added sticker on the butt of the back. I got to agree with jp....it sounds easy to fake.

zljones 06-22-2012 07:36 AM

That error caused tons of workers at Fleer to be fired and the President of the company stepped down because he was so upset.

ALR-bishop 06-22-2012 04:37 PM

Ripken

Zach---are there any articles or documentation of such a purge. I would have thought instead it would have resulted in some bonus money somewhere,even if under the table.

I would sure like to see a sticker version, faked or not. The "cut" version, if a true variation , was also easy to fake. So was the "white out" version. Actually though, there were so many fakes, that they themselves may qualify as modern collectibles.

I have a bunch of these, and a bunch of the Randy Johnson Marlborough cards.

JP---very nice and informative web site. I have used it often

Deertick 06-22-2012 09:04 PM

"Sticker" cards

As far as I remember, these showed up shortly after the FF came to light. I believe it was the first attempt to obscure the offending part, basically trying to fix existing, unpackaged stock. I can not remember if they were in packs or vending boxes, but I do know that they showed up either at the Philly Civic Center or Willow Grove Show. The reason they may not be around?: At the time the FF was a hot card and people would just peel off the dot to show the prize. I sold a few "as is" as I never had much in the way of fingernails, and noone cared because the other 'fixes' hadn't started showing up yet.

jp1216 06-23-2012 06:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Not sure what the 'sticker' version/variation is.... Pictures?

There were a few odd variates that came directly from Fleer employees - smuggled in bras and pants. Weird stuff.

This craze was before the internet. Sharing of pictures and info was different. Fakes are everywhere - beware.

Thanks also to those that have posted & emailed info. Always a pleasure.

zljones 06-24-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1006519)
Zach---are there any articles or documentation of such a purge. I would have thought instead it would have resulted in some bonus money somewhere,even if under the table.

I would sure like to see a sticker version, faked or not. The "cut" version, if a true variation , was also easy to fake. So was the "white out" version. Actually though, there were so many fakes, that they themselves may qualify as modern collectibles.

I have a bunch of these, and a bunch of the Randy Johnson Marlborough cards.

JP---very nice and informative web site. I have used it often

I got that info from Dave Jamison's book "Mint Condition"

ALR-bishop 06-24-2012 07:50 PM

Mint Condition

Thanks, Zach. I have that book and read it. But us old guys have poor retention

zljones 06-24-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1007214)
Thanks, Zach. I have that book and read it. But us old guys have poor retention

No problem, I just hope my statement is correct too, I tend to forget lines in books too :o

BenG76 06-26-2012 06:37 AM

How many official versions of this card are there? Like how many does Beckett or the Grading companies such as PSA or SGC recognize?

jp1216 06-26-2012 07:32 AM

TPG companies

PSA: 5 (FF, Black Box, Fleer Glossy Black Box, Black Scribble and "Whited out vulgarity".
SGC: pretty much the same. Nothing set in stone. The white scribble - I've seen "airbrushed", "scribble" and "whiteout". They also correctly labeled my progressive proofs.
BGS: 6. They list them #616A-E (FF, Whiteout, White Scribble, Black Scribble, Black Box) plus the Glossy edition.
GAI: they were the only one to do custom labels for each special version. Different black scribbles, sawcuts etc.

http://www.billripken.com

Many true different variations.

jp1216 06-29-2012 11:54 AM

For those that requested it:
http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ffknobs02.jpg
Not everything, but a basic list:
FF, FF w/ Black Doubled, FF w/ Red Doubled, FF w/ Blue Doubled, White Scribble, Black Box w/ Rounded left corner, Circle Scribble, Scribble w/ F, Scribble with 'loop or partial F, Scribble w/o F, Black Box w/ square edges, Whiteout.
Some are easy to locate, others take a long time. Circle Scribbles "semi-airbrushed" can be found in a few levels of darkness/coverage. Glossy "Collector's Tin" version is the rounded edge Black Box only. The "Test-Run" cards that pop up on eBay from time to time are all FAKE. Saw-Cut or factory cut examples can be found on nearly every version leading up to the Black Boxes. I even have one of those cut!
Thanks to those that have emailed etc. :)

Iwantmorecards77 09-05-2012 11:02 AM

Don't forget this one...

1 Attachment(s)
The "Fish Face" variation! D'oh!

Sean1125 09-06-2012 05:32 PM

I found a "saw cut white out" Ripken, contacted the owner of one of the Ripken sites and they gave me the e-mail of a guy who bought it for $100 the next day.... Found this card for $1 in a Scottsdale collection... (I think it may have been you)

On second thought it may have been white scribble, whoever I spoke to said it was roughly the 10th found.

Exhibitman 09-06-2012 06:14 PM

Take a giant step back and literally F*** YOUR OWN FACE!

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...s-grossman.jpg

jp1216 09-27-2012 12:25 PM

I updated the Ripken website last week. Needed a facelift.

That 'Dipkin' card is neat. 2 versions - both from '94. One was inserted in Simpson comic books. Sells for about $5. The other was special promo. Pretty rare. Most sell for $100+.

jp1216 10-29-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks to all that have contacted via the website! Keep the leads / info coming!

jp1216 03-31-2013 04:29 PM

Bump for Spring!

jp1216 08-03-2013 03:11 PM

Summertime Bump :)