Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   July Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322216)

uga1980 07-15-2022 01:32 PM

July Pickups

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to add some great items from fellow Net54 member Steve Salem. Excited to add these to the collection.

Iron Davis
Chick Fraser
Sam Leever
Ed Reulbach
Ward Miller

Scott Garner 07-16-2022 05:03 AM

Congrats Jon!
Iron Davis and Chic Frasier are certified baddies.
I found these two to be extremely tough when I was searching for them.
I'm really happy for you. :cool:

Dardevl 07-18-2022 06:56 AM

190-56 JJ Copy-Art Eddie Mathews

2 Attachment(s)
Postmarked in 1954, clearly signed later.

clydepepper 07-30-2022 09:46 AM

Finally pulled the trigger on a 1995 Braves' team-signed World Series ball:

A little disappointed that Justice isn't on it, but it does have the five HOFers.

See my other post to view scans.

Michael B 07-31-2022 06:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did not find much at The National, which is what I expect due to my collecting focus. I spent a total of $15 on 4 signed index cards and two signed picture postcards of Olympians. Other than that I paid to have these signed by Spencer Haywood. Even though Tristar tried to nickel and dime you with inscriptions he added these on his own.:

Attachment 527532

Two tickets from the gold medal game at the 1968 Olympics.

Attachment 527534

Postal souvenir sheet from Ajman, a small Arabic emirate. Haywood is second from the left.

Attachment 527535

The year after the Olympics while still a student at Detroit Mercy.

Attachment 527536

During the Olympics. The other two Americans are Calvin Fowler #11 and Michael Silliman #12.

He had never seen the souvenir sheet before. I offered to send him one along with copies of the photos. A good chance to get a few more signatures. Very nice person who was impressed that I knew he was 19 at the time of the Olympics. Still the youngest gold medal winning basketball player of all time.

5-Tool Player 08-01-2022 07:20 PM

Spencer was a GREAT talent and I remember watching him play with Seattle Supersonics. If I remember right, he was the first college player to leave college early and play professional BB, back then I think it was "hardship" case.

Michael B 08-03-2022 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5-Tool Player (Post 2248114)
Spencer was a GREAT talent and I remember watching him play with Seattle Supersonics. If I remember right, he was the first college player to leave college early and play professional BB, back then I think it was "hardship" case.

Yes, he was the first 'hardship' case. The NBA still required 4 years of college. The ABA had a similar rule, but changed it due to the fact that Haywood had a mother raising 10 children at home. When he signed with the Supersonics, the NBA tried to prevent it. Eventual court case went all the way to the Supreme Court ruling in the favor of the Supersonics/Haywood. It opened the door for players leaving school early.

tha-rock 08-03-2022 10:56 AM

Just wondering...
did anyone here manage to grab any of the blockbuster names in the Charles Stoneham collection auctioned by Hunts recently? There were some names that only come along once in a few generations, so any acquisitions would be amazing additions to an HOF collection.