Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1939 Play Ball Ted Williams (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254354)

Topnotchsy 04-29-2018 09:20 AM

1939 Play Ball Ted Williams

Hey all,

I've been thinking of making my first, significant vintage purchase and have pretty much decided it would be a 1939 Ted Williams Play Ball. I feel like the realm of rookies for all-time great players, it is valuable, but not "crazy-insane-money" expensive (from my perspective anyways.)

I've read through many of the older posts on this site regarding the card, and know quite a few have changed hands on these boards over the years (my impression as someone who knows very little is that it's not a particularly rare card for the era).

I've been trying to learn more about the card, and would love any thoughts and perspectives on it; anything about variants; anything to look out for or be concerned about etc.

Would also appreciate opinions if you were recommending what condition to buy. It seems like there's a pretty decent price gap between PSA 8's and 7's, and I was thinking maybe a 7 would be a good balance between quality and price, but would love to hear different perspectives.

Leon 04-29-2018 09:35 AM

'39 Williams

Hey Jeff
I can't really help with much of a perspective but have always liked the card. It's a classic. For me, I just wanted one I like regardless of grade. I suggest you get one which you enjoy looking at each time more so than being too concerned with the technical grade. Technical grades are for registry guys :). (*just kidding, please don't send hate emails or make hate responses)
For a reference on price this one cost 2100 from our BST within the last year or so....
ps. That said, if you like looking at a card in an 8 holder then that is definitely what I would do :). Good luck

http://luckeycards.com/williams.jpg

rjackson44 04-29-2018 09:47 AM

Terrific card Leon

Topnotchsy 04-29-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1771574)
Hey Jeff
I can't really help with much of a perspective but have always liked the card. It's a classic. For me, I just wanted one I like regardless of grade. I suggest you get one which you enjoy looking at each time more so than being too concerned with the technical grade. Technical grades are for registry guys :). (*just kidding, please don't send hate emails or make hate responses)
For a reference on price this one cost 2100 from our BST within the last year or so....
ps. That said, if you like looking at a card in an 8 holder then that is definitely what I would do :). Good luck

Thanks Leon! Beautiful card!

I'm definitely not exclusively looking at the grade, but am buying with the thought process of "I'm like to own a Williams that I enjoy having, but also once shopping, might as well think about the market overall."

I would like to find one with solid centering and no blatant issues. The one you picked up has a ton of eye-appeal IMO.

DaveW 04-29-2018 02:36 PM

It's a great card and the only one I need to finish the set. I just can't get myself to pay that much for a piece of cardboard when I still have 2 kids to get through college. As for variations, there are just a few. His name comes in either all upper case letters or a mix of upper and lower case letters. The all upper case version also can come with the red salesman sample stamp on the back. There doesn't seem to be much of a premium for any of them. Personally, I'd go for one with the sample back but they are all nice. Good luck!

Topnotchsy 05-04-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveW (Post 1771660)
It's a great card and the only one I need to finish the set. I just can't get myself to pay that much for a piece of cardboard when I still have 2 kids to get through college. As for variations, there are just a few. His name comes in either all upper case letters or a mix of upper and lower case letters. The all upper case version also can come with the red salesman sample stamp on the back. There doesn't seem to be much of a premium for any of them. Personally, I'd go for one with the sample back but they are all nice. Good luck!

I appreciate the info, and wish you luck with the kids/college thing!

Topnotchsy 05-07-2018 08:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone for the help. Ended up picking up a lower grade copy that I felt like had pretty solid eye appeal.

ls7plus 05-07-2018 08:57 PM

Very nice eye appeal!

Best wishes,

Larry

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-07-2018 08:58 PM

Love the image, top notch for a '39 play ball

griffon512 05-07-2018 09:11 PM

that might be the best black/white contrast i've seen on a '39 playball williams. good pick up!

RedsFan1941 05-07-2018 09:11 PM

Beautiful card

Luke 05-08-2018 12:07 AM

That's an incredible card, congrats!

pokerplyr80 05-08-2018 08:21 AM

You should send that one in for a purple sticker. Maybe they'll throw in a gold star too.

h2oya311 05-08-2018 11:11 AM

I saw that one on eBay and almost pulled the trigger too.

Very nice pick-up! Very nice for the grade, IMO. Purple sticker for you!

Leon 05-08-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forget the Purple I think he gets the Gold!! Nice card.
Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1774567)
I saw that one on eBay and almost pulled the trigger too.

Very nice pick-up! Very nice for the grade, IMO. Purple sticker for you!

Topnotchsy 05-08-2018 10:55 PM

Haha thanks guys. Was a little unsure buying it since this is the first higher end ($1000+) vintage card I've purchased, so the positive comments are reassuring that I didn't screw something up.

Leon 05-09-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 1774815)
Haha thanks guys. Was a little unsure buying it since this is the first higher end ($1000+) vintage card I've purchased, so the positive comments are reassuring that I didn't screw something up.

When you look at the card, and you really like it, it means you didn't screw up. As long as the price was in the realm of others then that is a great card and good buy. Who wouldn't want that card?

bobbyw8469 05-09-2018 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1774849)
When you look at the card, and you really like it, it means you didn't screw up. As long as the price was in the realm of others then that is a great card and good buy. Who wouldn't want that card?

Agreed...as much as everyone likes to dog on Mr. Mint, he had a comment that resonated with me. "You can't go wrong buying centered cards". If it looks fabulous to you, it will look fabulous to others, and you should have no trouble unloading it if/when that time comes. Problematic cards for you will be problematic for others.

Topnotchsy 05-09-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1774849)

I'm always worried with areas of collecting I don't know that I overlook something that "everyone" knows.

For example, I seriously considered buying one of the Mathewson "Won in the Ninth" a while back and then learned of the controversy there..