Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My results log from Frank Nagy auctions 1983-85 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303672)

IndyDave 06-16-2021 01:21 PM

My results log from Frank Nagy auctions 1983-85

5 Attachment(s)
Digging through a box in my basement I found a small notebook where I tracked my results in the monthly Frank Nagy auctions. I’ve attached pictures of a few of the pages.

I used this listing to try to get a feel for what I needed to bid to win cards. You can see several cards where I’m thrilled to have gotten cards for what I paid. Several other cards I kick myself for not bidding more because I still need them : T 206 Flick and Cy Young, Wilt Chamberlain rookie

Interesting to look back on these. Grateful I was fresh out of college with some disposable income to get at least some of these cards

Getting that package tied in white butcher paper with a string was always the best mail day of the month - to see what I won. And to then write my check to pay for them.

oaks1912 06-16-2021 03:00 PM

You forgot to mention the overwhelming aroma of cigarette smoke which permeated the cards and packaging. I could often tell that his package was in my P/O box before I even opened it. Frank was a complex person but I purchased hundreds of cards from him in the 80's. We spoke a number of times on the phone, but only met once in person. A great guy to deal with

spec 06-16-2021 03:47 PM

Dave and Mark,
Thanks for sharing, and rekindling some wonderful memories.
I wonder if Frank ever realized how much joy he was delivering with those monthly packages. Not just the cards themselves, but the knowledge about the hobby and the feeling of acceptance into the collecting brotherhood that they bestowed.
Charlie Bray was another old-timer who sent your auction winnings in advance of payment. He often offered large lots and complete sets, so the size of his packages could be overwhelming.
I met Frank Nagy several times at Detroit shows. He was an unforgettable character and a good friend.
B0b Rich@rds0n

jcmtiger 06-16-2021 03:48 PM

Bought cards from FRANK Nagy & Bill Mastro years ago. This was at Michigan card shows. Lots of good info from both. Joe

whiteymet 06-18-2021 09:48 PM

Frank Nagy

I spent quite a few nights staying with Frank and "Hootie" over three or four years.

Most of the time was spent in the basement where all his cards were.

Mark mentioned the smell of cigarette smoke. I can still see him now sitting in his chair going through cards with the cigarette in his month and the ash at the end getting longer and longer until it falls off by itself! :)

oldjudge 06-18-2021 10:47 PM

I remember those auctions well. I was collecting football matchbook covers at the time and Frank was THE source. I remember when he would recommend a card his stock line was “It will add class to your collection”. I once asked him if he had any Old Judge cabinets and he said no. He said that years before there wasn’t much of a market for them and he would put some free in the bottom of boxes he sent out to strengthen the box. Quite the guy.