Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The doctoring plague, REA and things that make you go hmm... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276294)

chalupacollects 11-25-2019 06:14 PM

The doctoring plague, REA and things that make you go hmm...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334583

Seems like REA at least done the right thing...

Rhotchkiss 11-25-2019 06:29 PM

You cannot blame auction houses for unknowingly listing cards that have been altered; it is not their job to authenticate and they, like us hobbyists, should be able to rely on the TPGs’ “opinion”. However, when an AH discovers that a card they have listed has been altered, than, as in this case, I believe they should pull the listing. Commendation to REA for delisting these cards. I have seen Mile High and LOTG do the same. It’s the right thing to do.

I can blame, in fact I have disdain for, auction houses who either knowingly list altered cards and/or fail to delist cards called out as altered. These outfits will not get my bids/business and I hope the rest of you feel that way. Protest with your wallet- we can make a difference one collector/bidder/consignor at a time.

And, once again, sincere thank you BODA for all the incredible work you are doing.

Ryan

chalupacollects 11-25-2019 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=Rhotchkiss;1934035]You cannot blame auction houses for unknowingly listing cards that have been altered; it is not their job to authenticate and they, like us hobbyists, should be able to rely on the TPGs’ “opinion”. However, when an AH discovers that a card they have listed has been altered, than, as in this case, I believe they should pull the listing. Commendation to REA for delisting these cards. I have seen Mile High and LOTG do the same. It’s the right thing to do.

Wasn't placing any blame...just alerting the herd...

Aquarian Sports Cards 11-25-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1934035)
You cannot blame auction houses for unknowingly listing cards that have been altered; it is not their job to authenticate and they, like us hobbyists, should be able to rely on the TPGs’ “opinion”. However, when an AH discovers that a card they have listed has been altered, than, as in this case, I believe they should pull the listing. Commendation to REA for delisting these cards. I have seen Mile High and LOTG do the same. It’s the right thing to do.

I can blame, in fact I have disdain for, auction houses who either knowingly list altered cards and/or fail to delist cards called out as altered. These outfits will not get my bids/business and I hope the rest of you feel that way. Protest with your wallet- we can make a difference one collector/bidder/consignor at a time.

And, once again, sincere thank you BODA for all the incredible work you are doing.

Ryan

When people in the know aren't even willing to forego buying and selling with PWCC I don't hold out much hope. Appreciate your stance, and your voice in the discussion! See you at Philly?

Rhotchkiss 11-25-2019 06:59 PM

Challupa, I didn’t interpret your post as blaming anyone! My post was general and not intended as a reply to your post, which I view as informative, and I appreciate it - we need to highlight the good as well as the bad.

Scott, I should be there Saturday morning picking up a t213-3 1 Chance portrait from Ted. I will stop by and say hi.

Johnny630 11-25-2019 07:36 PM

Moral to this story is PSA is worthless not this auction house. Nobody seems to care anymore.

Hats of to REA

Exhibitman 11-26-2019 07:33 AM

That’s why my visit to Lowe’s last weekend ended up with a Dremel. Slab shuck at Adam’ House for thanksgiving!

jchcollins 11-26-2019 08:11 AM

A pair of pliers / snippers and a decent sized flathead screwdriver are all you need. Small scissors as well if opening Beckett slabs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goudey77 11-26-2019 10:59 AM

All this talk about cracking slabs and letting the cards breath got me thinking. What is the best card holder out there? Consideration for presentation and security.

Although a little old school I enjoy putting my raw tobacco cards in the tobacco size top loaders.

ALR-bishop 11-26-2019 01:55 PM

Bolt cutter and irrigation screw diver. 10 seconds. No damage yet after a lot of shucking

55koufax 11-27-2019 05:41 PM

crack outs

Yet to see a slab that would keep me out. PSA, SGC, Beckett - even with their latest and greatest, still easy to C/O with the correct tools and knowledge. It is a sad and unfortunate game they force the collector to play, as we live the by this creed...... if one C/O doesn't succeed, the next one may provide for that deserving bump....