Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   RIP Dad (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=312421)

todeen 12-21-2021 08:14 PM

RIP Dad

My father passed away today from pneumonia after battling pulmonary fibrosis for 11 years. He did not collect cards or even talk very much about baseball. Like many Boomers, his boyhood cards ended up in his bicycle spokes because they sounded cool, and then grandma threw them away or a cousin swiped them while he was in the military. He was ROTC with the US Army and specialized in communications and chemical weapons. He served in Korea on the DMZ during the Vietnam era. He graduated as an art major, and he gifted me a piece of baseball artwork many years ago. Anyway, he is every bit entangled with my love of baseball as any other factor. He volunteered as assistants on my youth baseball teams where I learned life lessons and made great friends. He would throw the ball with me after school on days he wasn't on the road as a salesman. He took me to MiLB games to see the Billings Mustangs which eventually made me a Reds fan. When we moved to Spokane he had the opportunity through work to take me to occasional Seattle Mariners game in the late 90s. I saw Griffey, ARod, Johnson, and Martinez during the greatest years in Mariners history. He took me to autograph signings in Spokane to see Don Larsen, Gaylord Perry, Harmon Killebrew, Maury Wills, and Steve Garvey. And the paramount event was when he took me to the 2001 All Star Fanfest - the closest thing to a National that I've ever been to. I saved up my Christmas money, birthday money, and allowance. I bought a dozen baseballs for autographs, and went with absolutely no plan of what cards to buy. One of the best pulls of my pack buying days occurred there when I pulled a Jackie Robinson GU card. My dad was one of the best that the Baby Boomer generation had to offer. He provided for his family, came home every night to dinner, and taught his kids moral choices. He is missed by everyone who knew him, but leaves a legacy of love and kindness. God bless you, Dad.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0c9d9f0746.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b1b618b94c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...978c5cd822.jpg

Casey2296 12-21-2021 08:47 PM

Sorry for your loss Tim, dads are so important to sons.

BobC 12-21-2021 09:15 PM

My condolences to you and your family Tim. Sounds like he was a great man and Father.

Butch7999 12-21-2021 10:26 PM

We recognise as familiar a lot of elements in the story of your relationship.
Sincere condolences to you and your family, Tim.

bnorth 12-22-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobC (Post 2177502)
My condolences to you and your family Tim. Sounds like he was a great man and Father.

+1 very sorry to hear of your loss.

butchie_t 12-22-2021 06:55 AM

"Go to sleep, peaceful sleep, may the soldier or sailor, God keep.
On the land or the deep, Safe in sleep."

Rest easy soldier, your watch is over.

Sorry for your loss Tim.

Snapolit1 12-22-2021 07:32 AM

When you get older you realize how many people had non-existent or terrible/abusive fathers. I always thought it was a given that everyone had a great father. Hardly. You are very fortunate to have had such a good man as your father. No doubt his wisdom and values will live on through you. My condolences.

irv 12-22-2021 07:38 AM

Sorry to hear, Tim.
My condolences to you and yours.

Seven 12-22-2021 03:30 PM

Tim,

My deepest sympathies for your loss. I am very close with my father as well, it wasn't until a few years ago that I started to notice my parents, aging. The thought that I will one day be without both of them, makes me sick to my stomach. It sounds like you had a great relationship with your father, and made countless memories with him. I'm sure he loved you just as much as you loved him, if not more. He raised an incredible son.

And not to get religious but as I saw the final part of your message, know that one day you will see him again, where he won't be in pain or suffering in any manner. I truly believe that. God Bless to you and your family and I'm sorry for your loss.

- James

todeen 12-22-2021 11:08 PM

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. Merry Christmas to you all and your families.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scott6043 12-23-2021 05:53 AM

Sorry for your loss.

I lost my dad in 2004 and still miss him badly.

scmavl 12-23-2021 07:47 AM

So sorry, Tim.

BCauley 12-23-2021 08:55 AM

My condolences to you and your family Tim. Never easy to lose a loved one, especially a parent.

familytoad 12-23-2021 12:37 PM

So sorry to hear this Tim.
Losing loved ones is clearly one of the hardest things in life.
Treasure your memories to alleviate the sadness.

Rest In Peace , sir!

Exhibitman 12-26-2021 09:11 PM

So sorry for your loss, Tim. Hang tough.

Dewey 12-26-2021 10:01 PM

Thankful for your awesome dad and so sorry for your loss. You will carry his fire onward. Peace to you.

Leon 12-27-2021 11:11 AM

I just saw this thread. My condolences, Tim. Your dad is what we all hope our children grow up to be. May he RIP...

LL

jiw98 12-27-2021 02:23 PM

Sorry for your loss, Tim. Cherish your memories, looks like you had a terrific father.

earlywynnfan 12-27-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2177570)
When you get older you realize how many people had non-existent or terrible/abusive fathers. I always thought it was a given that everyone had a great father. Hardly. You are very fortunate to have had such a good man as your father. No doubt his wisdom and values will live on through you. My condolences.

This^^
I am sorry for your loss. I hope you know you are lucky to have had a father who left you with such great memories. You may have lost the physical him, but with your memories you are blessed.

Ken

Pjere 01-01-2022 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2177564)
"Go to sleep, peaceful sleep, may the soldier or sailor, God keep.
On the land or the deep, Safe in sleep."

Rest easy soldier, your watch is over.

Sorry for your loss Tim.

Perfect. Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves_resale_shop 01-01-2022 05:42 AM

Condolences

Sorry for your loss Tim.