Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1958 Kahn's (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325150)

hanes1111 09-20-2022 02:35 PM

1958 Kahn's

Ive had this for quite a while and was wondering if anyone had an idea on the value? There are only 2 Wally Post graded in the PSA pop report and this copy in the SGC pop report. Its a short print but how many are out there if there are only 3 graded up to this point? I have not seen one pop up for sale and cannot find any completed sales . I would think the value would be in completing the set which may be deemed near impossible . Thanks for looking!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e4204b5f_z.jpgWally Post Kahn's SP by Lucky Larrys, on Flickr

raulus 09-20-2022 03:10 PM

I've always been a big fan of their marketing tagline. For some reason it always makes me chortle:

The weiner the world awaited...

Maybe it's just the alliteration with a side of tongue twister that gets me.

hcv123 09-20-2022 08:00 PM

Tough question

The 1958 Kahn's in my experience are far and away the toughest of the Kahn's issues (excepting the Frank Robinson which for some reason seems to be more available). In fact the Clemente is a "grail" card (only a single example has sold publicly in 30 years I have been watching). There are actually 4 of the Post card in the PSA pop report + yours in the SGC report. I'm going to offer an educated opinion/extrapolation of a wide range in terms of value. That is $150-$350. The thing holding it back from being significantly more valuable in my opinion is the set and therefore any of the non-stars in it are relatively low demand - there are only 3 sets listed in the PSA set registry - the #1 set has a Post, The number 2 set is at 33% completion and the #3 set is under 10%. I am going to surmise that the #3 set for sure and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".

hanes1111 09-21-2022 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2265788)
The 1958 Kahn's in my experience are far and away the toughest of the Kahn's issues (excepting the Frank Robinson which for some reason seems to be more available). In fact the Clemente is a "grail" card (only a single example has sold publicly in 30 years I have been watching). There are actually 4 of the Post card in the PSA pop report + yours in the SGC report. I'm going to offer an educated opinion/extrapolation of a wide range in terms of value. That is $150-$350. The thing holding it back from being significantly more valuable in my opinion is the set and therefore any of the non-stars in it are relatively low demand - there are only 3 sets listed in the PSA set registry - the #1 set has a Post, The number 2 set is at 33% completion and the #3 set is under 10%. I am going to surmise that the #3 set for sure and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".

Great information and insight, sincerely appreciate your take.

bobsbbcards 09-21-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

…. and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".

Guess again. I’ll pay three or four times “book” for any ‘58 Kahn’s card that I don’t currently have. :)

Kutcher55 09-22-2022 04:34 PM

Quote:

Amazing knowledge Howard, as usual sir.

hcv123 09-23-2022 07:00 PM

That's why I qualified with possibly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsbbcards (Post 2266246)
Guess again. I’ll pay three or four times “book” for any ‘58 Kahn’s card that I don’t currently have. :)

Hi Bob! I saw it was your set and just didn't know how actively you were or weren't working on it. What "book" are you using - as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a published "book" on these in a while and book or no book, no historic sales to even use as a starting point.

bobsbbcards 09-23-2022 07:38 PM

That’s why I put “book” in quotes. It’s definitely a word that has little meaning nowadays. I’d love to buy the ones I don’t have for silly amounts (that might have been more accurate). :p

iceman15658 04-30-2023 08:09 PM

I knew this would be the place to come for knowledgeable collectors. I live south of Pittsburgh and one of my contractors (a painter in his 70's) knew that I collect cards and tried to give me a pile of 57 and 58 Kahn's baseball (All Pirates and Reds, No Clemente) (most not in great shape but some look decent) with a few basketball. I knew they had to have some value so I gave him some money that he was reluctant to take. They have been sitting in one of my boxes ever since. Now that fees are getting more reasonable and as a fan of the hometown team I'd like to send some in with my next sub, even if they get 1-5's, they will look cool on display in the office. They seem to fall between regular and supersized. Does anyone know which level they must be subbed? Thanks for your time and info.

Joe

raulus 04-30-2023 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman15658 (Post 2336264)
They seem to fall between regular and supersized. Does anyone know which level they must be subbed? Thanks for your time and info.

Joe

Which grader are you submitting to?

Often with graders like PSA, you might not need to indicate a specific size, unless it’s like a T3 or a jumbo. Unless I’m off my rocker, I think this issue fits into the tall boy PSA holders.

iceman15658 04-30-2023 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Yes, it would be PSA. Should have mentioned that lol. What I get for always lurking and never posting. Good thinking, I think they will fit. Just trying to avoid getting hammered with a surprise $75 per charge.

raulus 05-01-2023 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman15658 (Post 2336284)
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Yes, it would be PSA. Should have mentioned that lol. What I get for always lurking and never posting. Good thinking, I think they will fit. Just trying to avoid getting hammered with a surprise $75 per charge.

You should be fine. The $75 jumbo fee is only for gigantic stuff like 8x10”

iceman15658 05-01-2023 09:30 PM

Awesome! Thank you very much, Appreciate the help. Happy collecting :)

camaro69 05-01-2023 09:44 PM

How do the scarcity of the baseball Kahn's photos compare to the scarcity of basketball Kahn's photos.

gonefishin 03-28-2024 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to resurrect this older thread, as I just acquired a small bunch of 57 and 58 Kahn's. Upon researching the cards, I have come to the conclusion that the 58 Wally Post is pretty rare and there was one included in the lot I bought, picture attached. Of course it is pretty bad shape but I'm ok with that.

Anyone have any updated information on this card? I can't find any sales, etc. Much appreciated.