Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Cleveland Guardians? Yes, It's Official (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305469)

marzoumanian 07-23-2021 08:57 AM

The Cleveland Guardians? Yes, It's Official

Just learned that next year the Cleveland Indians will be known as the Cleveland Guardians. Peace.

Here's some more color on the name, for anyone who is interested. It's from the official news release:

"The Cleveland Guardians will boast the same blue and red color scheme we’ve grown familiar with. The organization wanted the script to be similar to what it has been for the last 75 years but decided to make slight changes to mimic the structural architecture of the Hope Memorial Bridge, imitating the trusses of the bridge’s underside. On the road, the team will continue to sport “Cleveland” across its chest, while “Guardians” will be printed on the home jerseys."

mrreality68 07-23-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marzoumanian (Post 2125825)
Just learned that next year the Cleveland Indians will be known as the Cleveland Guardians. Peace.

I am not a Cleveland fan. I am glad they finally decided to change their name. That is a Good Name.

Fballguy 07-23-2021 09:04 AM

Yup...Professional sports ran out of good names years ago. Guardians is a very huggy, safe name. Perfect for America in 2021.

Orioles1954 07-23-2021 09:07 AM

What an absolutely horrible name! "Let's Go Guards!"....just rolls of the tongue. It sounds like some terrible USFL or Arena League team. If I were fans of the former Indians, I would either give up baseball or find a new team.

bdk1976 07-23-2021 09:09 AM

Are they competing for worst franchise nickname? If so they are now winning by a margin that puts Secretariat to shame.

packs 07-23-2021 09:11 AM

I don't mind a name change but Guardians sounds like a fake movie team name. Cleveland had two great names before the Indians. What was wrong with the Spiders or the Naps?

MCyganik 07-23-2021 09:12 AM

It makes good sense in context, but initial impression it sounds like a bland computer-generated fake sports name.

I still think they should have picked the Spiders. Lots of potential modernizing that one into today’s brand marketing. Could of had a cute looking spider mascot named CY.

jcmtiger 07-23-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2125837)
I don't mind a name change but Guardians sounds like a fake movie team name. Cleveland had two great names before the Indians. What was wrong with the Spiders or the Naps?

Yes, agree.

Seven 07-23-2021 09:16 AM

Sounds like an XFL Franchise. I feel like there were so many other options they could've went with. Could've gone historical and went with the Naps or Spiders.

darwinbulldog 07-23-2021 09:18 AM

Congratulations to Cleveland on moving to a resolution faster than the Capital City American Football Franchise.

Orioles1954 07-23-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2125837)

Because "Spiders" is offensive to the millions of arachnids who are crushed or murdered by imperialist exterminators every year.

Casey2296 07-23-2021 09:19 AM

Awkward name, I'll stick to calling them the "Naps".

judsonhamlin 07-23-2021 09:20 AM

Agree that they should’ve gone with Spiders. Logo of the ball kind of interesting though - kind of like a lefty throwing a fork ball. Rest of the brand other than the “C” logo is junk

insidethewrapper 07-23-2021 09:22 AM

How about the Cleveland Fellers ?

BCauley 07-23-2021 09:28 AM

The reasoning behind it makes sense. I think everybody is just so used to the Indians name though that it'll seem awkward for a bit to call them the Guardians.

Mutton Chop Yaz 07-23-2021 09:40 AM

I'm a Cleveland fan. It's fine. "Indians" needed to go, and any new name would have sounded odd after 106 years with the old one. I would have preferred a historical name, or even "Americans" like my 1914 Cracker Jack Lajoie reads, but they weren't picking the name for my benefit. We'll all be accustomed to "Guardians" in a couple of years.

Bugsy 07-23-2021 09:40 AM

I guess there were IP issues with the name Spiders.

Hirbonzig 07-23-2021 09:59 AM

I predict a section in the bleachers will be called the “Big House” with everyone dressed as bad ass prison guards.

Mark17 07-23-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2125844)
Awkward name, I'll stick to calling them the "Naps".

If calling them "Indians" is offensive to Indians, isn't calling them "Guardians" likewise offensive to guardians?

And calling them "Naps" would be offensive to Frenchmen.

Leon 07-23-2021 10:02 AM

They should have named them the "Inclusives"

Mutton Chop Yaz 07-23-2021 10:14 AM

No need to relitigate this extensively, but setting aside recriminations about whom might be offended by what (including a name change itself) and why, and whether that's the actual issue, as a fan of the club, I appreciate the move to a new name.

edjs 07-23-2021 10:23 AM

They are angry in Calcutta.

puckpaul 07-23-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2125832)
What an absolutely horrible name! "Let's Go Guards!"....just rolls of the tongue. It sounds like some terrible USFL or Arena League team. If I were fans of the former Indians, I would either give up baseball or find a new team.

yes, it is a terrible name.

nolemmings 07-23-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 2125832)

They will accept it. The city of Cleveland already is diehard for teams called the Cavaliers and Browns.

Brian Van Horn 07-23-2021 10:54 AM

LOL! Does anyone expect the name of "Guardians" to last? It is though the owner of the Indians added another punchline to "Major League".

samosa4u 07-23-2021 10:54 AM

Guardians? Doesn't sound like a sports team to me! If the word INDIAN offended some people, then they should have called themselves the Cleveland ERIE or Cleveland SENECANS!

vintagetoppsguy 07-23-2021 10:55 AM

Guardians is just short for Guaranteed Indians

brob28 07-23-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCyganik (Post 2125838)
It makes good sense in context, but initial impression it sounds like a bland computer-generated fake sports name.

I still think they should have picked the Spiders. Lots of potential modernizing that one into today’s brand marketing. Could of had a cute looking spider mascot named CY.

Agreed, seems like they chose a vanilla name designed to avoid angering anyone. It's just shy of using the Cleveland Neutrals. Spiders would have been the choice IMO.

rhettyeakley 07-23-2021 10:56 AM

Not a fan! I really thought the "Spiders" was a forgone conclusion.

The "Spiders" would have been a marketing Gold Mine! There are so many different ways to market that name and an image of a spider! So many promotions and the uniforms, logos, etc could have been so cool.

The Guardians is such a weak mascot that I can only guess that was only chosen because they couldn't protect the name Spiders like they wanted to. As mentioned it sounds like a fake name from a bad Disney sports movie.

**That being said, if they had gone with "Cleveland Rocks" or something like that it would have been SO MUCH WORSE! I'm glad they didn't go down that path.

Casey2296 07-23-2021 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
At least when the team stinks the fans will have new placard choices...
-

perezfan 07-23-2021 11:04 AM

Spiders would've been pretty cool, both in terms of a team mascot/logo, and interesting/artistic Uniform and Cap possibilities.

But to nobody's surprise, they chose a horribly bland name. Can't even imagine an interesting or decent looking logo... maybe a block letter "G" (how exciting!)

Perfect for the current times though... "Guardians" sounds like an Insurance Company Team, Soccer Club, or WNBA franchise, and should not offend anyone. Super safe choice!

Mark17 07-23-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2125883)
They will accept it. The city of Cleveland already is diehard for teams called the Cavaliers and Browns.

This brings up a good point. Were Paul Brown and/or Jim Brown offended by the name "Browns?"

rhettyeakley 07-23-2021 11:07 AM

For those that have watched the TV show Community...

http://starsofthediamond.com/greendale.jpg

http://starsofthediamond.com/greendale.jpg

nolemmings 07-23-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2125897)
This brings up a good point. Were Paul Brown and/or Jim Brown offended by the name "Browns?"

Doubtful as to Paul-- the team was named for him.

perezfan 07-23-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2125897)

They were probably OK with it, but I heard the local UPS Drivers raised hell.

Exhibitman 07-23-2021 11:15 AM

I like it but Spiders would have been way cooler as well as a nice nod to history.

Exhibitman 07-23-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 2125891)
Not a fan! I really thought the "Spiders" was a forgone conclusion.

The "Spiders" would have been a marketing Gold Mine! There are so many different ways to market that name and an image of a spider! So many promotions and the uniforms, logos, etc could have been so cool.

The Guardians is such a weak mascot that I can only guess that was only chosen because they couldn't protect the name Spiders like they wanted to. As mentioned it sounds like a fake name from a bad Disney sports movie.

**That being said, if they had gone with "Cleveland Rocks" or something like that it would have been SO MUCH WORSE! I'm glad they didn't go down that path.

Cleveland Rocks would have been hilarious. Every year the press could lead off spring with "Rocks' Pennant Hopes Sink Like A Stone". Was too similar the Colorado Rockies, though.

Exhibitman 07-23-2021 11:20 AM

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...tillshitty.jpg

BengoughingForAwhile 07-23-2021 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2125831)
Yup...Professional sports ran out of good names years ago. Guardians is a very huggy, safe name. Perfect for America in 2021.

America was named for the Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, who was a slave owner and slave trader. I am now offended by being known as an "American." I want that name changed and everything named using the word America. American League, American Football Conference, NATIVE AMERICAN, "America the Beautiful", Bank of America, Great American Ballpark, United States of America, North America, South America, Central America, etc. etc. etc.
But hey, we can all feel great now that a baseball team in Cleveland has changed from their terribly offensive name "Indians" to the "Guardians." :eek:
What a joke.

perezfan 07-23-2021 11:25 AM

If I was a fan of that club, I would honestly rather see them do what the Washington Football Team did. It's less stupid.

drmondobueno 07-23-2021 11:49 AM

Think I’ll call them the G-Men.

Sheesh.

GasHouseGang 07-23-2021 11:57 AM

What are their uniforms going to look like? Black cloaks? :)

Mark17 07-23-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2125901)
Doubtful as to Paul-- the team was named for him.

And the Indians were named after Sockalexis. Why can a team be named after some people and no offense is taken (Brown, Lajoie) but not others?

It seems like for every tradition in this country, there is somebody intent on tearing it down.

nolemmings 07-23-2021 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2125928)
And the Indians were named after Sockalexis. Why can a team be named after some people and no offense is taken (Brown, Lajoie) but not others?

It seems like for every tradition in this country, there is somebody intent on tearing it down.

Yep. Like this one.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/23/us/kk...tol/index.html

Leon 07-23-2021 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Cancel culture.

I am taking offense at these guys playing baseball!!

Mark17 07-23-2021 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2125934)

That would be an excellent analogy........ if Sockalexis had founded a hate group.

vintagetoppsguy 07-23-2021 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2125934)

Which is worse? To memorialize a KKK member with a bust or parade with them? :rolleyes:

nolemmings 07-23-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2125941)
That would be an excellent analogy........ if Sockalexis had founded a hate group.

I see. You get to decide what is tradition and what is offensive. Damn shame the Cleveland ownership didn't consult with you before deciding to change names.

As was discussed back late last year, this so-called cancel culture has been going on for half a century now when it comes to teams changing their nicknames. So you can piss and moan all you want, it's not going away.

MK 07-23-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

You just nailed the real motive behind this entire cancel culture.

Mike D. 07-23-2021 12:58 PM

As someone who’s team is named after laundry, and not even fancy top layer laundry, I find this hard to get up in arms about.