Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CGC Seems to be up and running. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294754)

LACardsGuy 01-13-2021 10:22 AM

CGC Seems to be up and running.

Checked the site today. Say they are taking cards. $15/card for standard, which does not seem to require one to specify estimate value. Says 45 day turnaround.

Has anyone subbed? I checked for other threads on this and didn't see. Hopefully, didn't miss.

Seven 01-13-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 2055508)
Checked the site today. Say they are taking cards. $15/card for standard, which does not seem to require one to specify estimate value. Says 45 day turnaround.

Has anyone subbed? I checked for other threads on this and didn't see. Hopefully, didn't miss.

I'm not a huge fan of Slabs to begin with, I think there label is god awful. That being said seeing a new company in the game is refreshing, and how they end up doing along with the services they provide is something to watch.

rjackson44 01-13-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 2055508)

min you have to send please

LACardsGuy 01-13-2021 10:41 AM

here ya go:
https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/ser...s/cgc-grading/

Seven 01-13-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2055512)
min you have to send please

From the looks of it the only service that has a minimum requirement is their Bulk Service, which is a 50 card minimum. I linked the chart below if you want to check it out.

https://www.csgcards.com/submit/services-fees/csg/

111gecko 01-13-2021 10:46 AM

Csg

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to create a submission. (Going to send in some cards and sell on EBay auction to see how the numbers compare vs. PSA/SGC)..worth giving them a shot. Looks like they aren't ready for submissions yet.

bobbyw8469 01-13-2021 10:54 AM

They have a website.

Usc1 01-13-2021 10:58 AM

I've emailed them last night and got a reply. They are not ready for submissions yet. The email stated very near future.

Natswin2019 01-13-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usc1 (Post 2055522)
The email stated very near future.

Someone in a different thread mentioned that they would be at the Dallas show at the end of January/ beginning of February. So I wonder if that will be the time frame that they start taking submissions from the public?

Rich Klein 01-13-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natswin2019 (Post 2055535)
Someone in a different thread mentioned that they would be at the Dallas show at the end of January/ beginning of February. So I wonder if that will be the time frame that they start taking submissions from the public?

That would make a ton of sense to set up at the biggest current show in America. In addition, since both Andy and Westin worked for BGS, they should have contacts here in the DFW area.

Rich

Usc1 01-13-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natswin2019 (Post 2055535)

I wonder if they are going to be present at the show. if so, that makes sense.

Natswin2019 01-13-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usc1 (Post 2055549)
I wonder if they are going to be present at the show. if so, that makes sense.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294429

Here's the link to the thread that I mentioned. All I know is from the press release that Leon posted. My guess would be that if they are taking submissions at that show then they would take submissions from everyone.

kmac32 01-13-2021 01:07 PM

Would love to see what their slabs look like. As soon as I get my latest submission back from SGC ( the S74 silks that they are not grading) will see if they will slab silks. I really do not care about the grade and more for display. Wonder what they will charge for Silks?

bobbyw8469 01-13-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 2055574)
Would love to see what their slabs look like. As soon as I get my latest submission back from SGC ( the S74 silks that they are not grading) will see if they will slab silks. I really do not care about the grade and more for display. Wonder what they will charge for Silks?

The website has the prices. But they make no mention about coins, pins, silks, etc......so not sure if they would grade those.

kmac32 01-13-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2055593)
The website has the prices. But they make no mention about coins, pins, silks, etc......so not sure if they would grade those.

Sent them an email so we will soon find out.

Exhibitman 01-13-2021 05:21 PM

Looks like you have to join their pay-for-play club to submit cards anywhere except at a show.

LACardsGuy 01-13-2021 05:50 PM

Right. $25 bucks. Same scam as PSA, although cheaper and not "sold out."

shagrotn77 01-13-2021 07:45 PM

I would think a startup looking to take business away from PSA (and maybe BGS and SGC to a lesser extent) would be able to offer better than 45-day turnaround times. Not bashing though. I definitely hope they do well and light a fire under PSA's collective behind.

bobbyw8469 01-14-2021 07:23 AM

Maybe they don't want to get flooded?

Leon 01-14-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2055685)
Looks like you have to join their pay-for-play club to submit cards anywhere except at a show.

As mentioned before, it is my good understanding, the first show they are accepting submissions at (I will give them some) is in 2 weeks at the Allen, TX show (just north of Dallas)....It's just down the street from me and a 1/4 mile from where my daughter lives. Hope to see a lot of folks at the show. I know of quite a few friends who are going already.

kmac32 01-15-2021 01:45 PM

Just got an email back from them and currently they are only grading pokemon and magic cards. Apparently no sports cards and did not sound like they intended to be grading them at all. Bummer.

Lorewalker 01-15-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 2056253)
Just got an email back from them and currently they are only grading pokemon and magic cards. Apparently no sports cards and did not sound like they intended to be grading them at all. Bummer.

If you actually sent the email to CGC, then you sent it to the wrong place. CGC grades game cards. CSG will be grading sports cards...https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/cards-we-grade/

bobbyw8469 01-15-2021 02:01 PM

WOW!!! Subgrades are the fee + $10!!!! Holy guacamole!! That makes it expensive!!!

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-15-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2056254)
If you actually sent the email to CGC, then you sent it to the wrong place. CGC grades game cards. CSG will be grading sports cards...https://www.csgcards.com/card-grading/cards-we-grade/

Correct, that being said you'd think they'd point him in the right direction since it's the same parent company!

kmac32 01-15-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2056254)

My mistake so I sent one to the correct location. We will find out.

Lorewalker 01-15-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2056263)
Correct, that being said you'd think they'd point him in the right direction since it's the same parent company!

LOL. Cannot argue with ya there. Kinda shocking...actually.

bobbyw8469 01-15-2021 02:59 PM

I am reading the BIOs on the graders. Does anyone know these guys?? Are they reputable?? Interesting that one of the guys talks about his Howe McCormick card. Wonder if Ed knows about it?

Lorewalker 01-15-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2056285)
I am reading the BIOs on the graders. Does anyone know these guys?? Are they reputable?? Interesting that one of the guys talks about his Howe McCormick card. Wonder if Ed knows about it?

Been discussed but depends on one's opinion of Beckett grading since that is where they came from.

Howe’s Hunter 01-15-2021 03:07 PM

That would be a No

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2056285)

Not until you pointed it out to me, Bobby. This weekend I’ll at least try and contact them in hopes of adding whatever card it is he has to my database and maybe finding out approximately when he got it (basically finding out how many hands it may have passed through from Howe to him).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Howe’s Hunter 01-15-2021 03:32 PM

I know Andy

He used to work at Beckett. We’ve had discussions about his Merkle (things that sound dirty, but aren’t ... discussing someone’s Merkle).

stlcardsfan 01-15-2021 07:57 PM

Is GMA Grading at all legit? There is a Gretzky RC on my local Facebook marketplace for sale. No number grade, it is labeled Authentic. Same for a Walter Payton RC

Www.gmagrading.com

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-15-2021 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howe’s Hunter (Post 2056303)
He used to work at Beckett. We’ve had discussions about his Merkle (things that sound dirty, but aren’t ... discussing someone’s Merkle).

Someone's Merkle and his boner!

Rich Klein 01-16-2021 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Because every thread has to have a card

bobbyw8469 01-16-2021 06:26 AM

O.m.g.

Frank A 01-16-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlcardsfan (Post 2056388)
Is GMA Grading at all legit? There is a Gretzky RC on my local Facebook marketplace for sale. No number grade, it is labeled Authentic. Same for a Walter Payton RC

Www.gmagrading.com

I have sent cards to GMA and feel their grades were in line. Their holder however is not the greatest.

Rich Klein 01-16-2021 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 2056482)
I have sent cards to GMA and feel their grades were in line. Their holder however is not the greatest.

There was a vendor at Kyle's one-day December show who had two tables of nothing but GMA cards. They were strict on the vintage cards he had for sale.
Most of his cards were graded between 2-5 for 60's cards. He also told me he took in $1100 for the day

Rich

Leon 01-16-2021 07:41 AM

I have known the new companies head grader, Andy Broome (also a longtime member here) for going on 20 yrs. He is the best grader in the business in my personal opinion. Heads above SGC "opinionators" that don't do their homework at all any longer. Andy will tell exactly why something is the way it is with real proof, not innuendo and shoulder shrugs. Last time I asked SGC (and it will be the last) about a card they graded as counterfeit, then they gave it a NO and all I got was "it doesn't look good".....then Beckett did a lot of homework on it and graded it after a truly scientific review and it was then subsequently crossed to a PSA 1 and sold. No more SGC BS for me. I do like their black inserts but that is about it. There is nothing else I like about them anymore.

bobbyw8469 01-16-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2056493)
I have known the new companies head grader, Andy Broome (also a longtime member here) for going on 20 yrs. He is the best grader in the business in my personal opinion. Heads above SGC "opinionators" that don't do their homework at all any longer. Andy will tell exactly why something is the way it is with real proof, not innuendo and shoulder shrugs. Last time I asked SGC (and it will be the last) about a card they graded as counterfeit, then they gave it a NO and all I got was "it doesn't look good".....then Beckett did a lot of homework on it and graded it after a truly scientific review and it was then subsequently crossed to a PSA 1 and sold. No more SGC BS for me. I do like their black inserts but that is about it. There is nothing else I like about them anymore.

That is good enough for me. I would be willing to give them a chance. Let me see if the market accepts their gradings. As long as the prices received are similar to PSA, sure....why not.

kmac32 01-20-2021 02:58 PM

Talked with the folks at CSG today. Nice to have a human being actually answer a phone and she was very nice. Did not know the answer to my questions immediately but took my number and called me back as soon as she found out. Amazing that a TPG actually seems to know something about client service and how to handle people. Found out that they will be taking submissions in Mid February and they will do S74 Silks without upcharging you. Amazing, someone actually listening to a client vs spouting out the automatic response that “ We can’t do that”. Definitely will give them a chance.

obiwan1129 01-20-2021 03:13 PM

FWIW, CGC is to comics what PSA is to sports cards. Comics have been skyrocketing this this past year too. I have been slowly selling off my Fantastic Four collection. I had several CGC graded books and they sure made it easier for me to price and sell. Restored comics is a thing too. For my ungraded comics I get lots of questions about restoration and I have to say look this is from my personal collection, I'm not a professional grader.

I've only ever paid to have a 1-2 cards slabbed, actually I think it was an autograph authenticated. I generally buy them slabbed and let someone else deal with getting them graded.

That said I've wondered about ranking some of the other grading services after PSA. From this thread it sounds like it goes:

1. PSA
2. Beckett
3. SGC

I think I have some Sandberg rookies from GMA (10) that I bought several years ago. Wishing I had PSA 10's now given the recent rise in values.