Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New FB Acquisitions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194833)

LuckyLarry 11-21-2015 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1474664)
Not truly "pickups" unless you count sitting in a forgotten box for 25 years a pick up. Happy with all except the Brown. Sent in two of them. Both received a grade of 4. The cards are night and day. This is the better looking one.

NICE!

Larry

S_GERACE 11-21-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1474664)
Not truly "pickups" unless you count sitting in a forgotten box for 25 years a pick up. Happy with all except the Brown. Sent in two of them. Both received a grade of 4. The cards are night and day. This is the better looking one.

Great cards! If the Brown doesn't have any hairline creases and the back isn't rubbed I'd crack it out & re-submit it. "Nice finds".

vintagebaseballcardguy 11-28-2015 11:01 AM

I am on page 14 of this thread, and I must say how impressed and amazed I am! You guys are doing a great job! Thanks for posting and sharing. I have never really considered vintage football before (I am a post war baseball card collector), but this thread is motivating me to investigate vintage football. Just from what I have seen, the Philadelphia sets (especially '64) really catch my eye as do many Fleer and Topps sets. I am going to finish looking at this thread later, but I am going to buy a Football Beckett to give me an idea of what sets I could handle. The only one I know that I will probably avoid is the '65 Topps with the Namath. It is amazing how affordable most of it is in the middle 1950s to the 1960s.

pariah1107 11-28-2015 04:27 PM

Finished off my 1959 Topps Football set with this Art Donovan, alright, all night!

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...psagb9yvrz.jpg

vintagebaseballcardguy 11-28-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1476929)
Finished off my 1959 Topps Football set with this Art Donovan, alright, all night!

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...psagb9yvrz.jpg

Congrats, that is quite an accomplishment! That is a nice looking set.

Now I just need to figure out where I might get started in vintage football...there's a lot to like.

jefferyepayne 11-28-2015 05:20 PM

Great snag, Ty! Have always liked the "ransom note" set :p

Congrats on finishing it!

jeff

S_GERACE 11-28-2015 06:46 PM

Love the card of "Fatso" Ty! Is the rest of your set in similar condition? Congrats.

Jim65 11-28-2015 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1967 Royal Castle Maxie Williams

DBesse27 11-28-2015 07:45 PM

The Royal Castle is a great oddball card. Thanks for sharing!

pariah1107 11-28-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_GERACE (Post 1476969)
Love the card of "Fatso" Ty! Is the rest of your set in similar condition? Congrats.

Thanks guys.

I'd estimate the rest of the set ranges VG - NM, with most VG/EX. I'm not really a set registry pursuer, just a casual set builder. Only five favorites are graded; Brown, Unitas, Huff, Starr, and Donovan. There were only four favorites but I wanted to put the set to bed, and tired of looking for a sharp, raw Donovan.

sockwell123 11-28-2015 08:23 PM

grats on finishing!

Laxcat 11-28-2015 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My oldest FB card. Hope to pick a few more up.

pariah1107 11-29-2015 12:22 AM

Great pickup Matt! A beauty much like Larry's recent Namath acquisition. The slight paper loss, or even pinhole are completely offset by the crisp images with great centering (especially on the reverse of the Namath). Awesome, guys.

jefferyepayne 11-29-2015 04:32 AM

Very nice pickups, guys! Manahan is one of the tougher Mayos to snag so great grab. Love the Namath, Bowman, Topps AA, etc. as well.

Not sure how many have run into the 1969 Junior Mint Fantastic Firsts multi-sport set before but they are really hard to find. Picked up a few the other day including this football one. It's generic but interesting as I've never handled one before. I do find it hard to believe that as of 1969 the longest TD pass play in college was only 67 yards. Maybe they mean that's how far the ball traveled in the air.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-m...51125_0003.jpg

jeff

LuckyLarry 11-29-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1476929)

Congrats Ty!
Larry

sockwell123 12-02-2015 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got this '57 Raymond Berry today. 4.5 Becket. Gets me a little further along the set.

pariah1107 12-03-2015 08:52 AM

Sharp Berry Shawn!

Laxcat 12-03-2015 09:46 AM

More finds from storage.

1 Attachment(s)
I count these as pick ups. Didn't know they existed until yesterday. The Hutson is an upgrade to my set, so that was an unexpected surprise. The '61 LtoL Adderly takes the place of the '64 in my rookie collection. And I didn't have a Gabriel or Hadl rookie. Found a bunch more stuff but don't want to overload the thread.

Shameless plug: I recently joined Twitter. Yikes! I think I might be too old :( If you want to see all the stuff I've been pulling out of storage(and will continue to do so) follow me. @mcharlton81

Samsdaddy 12-03-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1478227)
I count these as pick ups. Didn't know they existed until yesterday. The Hutson is an upgrade to my set, so that was an unexpected surprise. The '61 LtoL Adderly takes the place of the '64 in my rookie collection. And I didn't have a Gabriel or Hadl rookie. Found a bunch more stuff but don't want to overload the thread.

Shameless plug: I recently joined Twitter. Yikes! I think I might be too old :( If you want to see all the stuff I've been pulling out of storage(and will continue to do so) follow me. @mcharlton81

Neat stuff Matt. And, looked at your Twitter. Very cool!

jthorst75 12-03-2015 08:47 PM

1948 Leaf Sammy Baugh

An early Xmas present from my wife; she listened...
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19579

TanksAndSpartans 12-04-2015 09:35 AM

Nice Baugh! Surprised we don't see more 48 Leaf here given how popular it seems.

S_GERACE 12-04-2015 11:08 AM

Love the Sammy! Nice centering too!

Beansballcardblog 12-04-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laxcat (Post 1478227)

Matt, I may be interested in the upgraded from Hutson. I do need it for my set. The new one looks fantastic!

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-06-2015 06:24 PM

Gentlemen, I am now the proud owner of a 1969 Topps football set. A friend of a friend was looking to unload, and I was in the right place at the right time. The beautiful, bright colors were too much to resist in person!

Overall, I would say it grades out EX+ or so with many cards in the EXMT range. Some of the commons have some pesky wrinkles (but are otherwise nice), and I have already started the upgrade process. When I am done in January or February, it will be crease/wrinkle free. The stars are all very nice and very clean in the EX or better range. I will post pics one evening this week when I have time. Thanks for all the inspiration, guys!

jthorst75 12-06-2015 09:28 PM

1949 Leaf & 1948 Bowman Sammy Baugh

I wasn't aware that there were 49 Leaf's until I was looking at the PSA pop report. Very similar to the 48 I just picked up but the number is different and his name is stated as Sam Baugh. Also recently picked up a 1948 Bowman.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19590http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=19591

jefferyepayne 12-07-2015 01:55 AM

Congrats, Robert! You are hooked ... post away when you have time. That's a GREAT set.

Very nice Sammy pickups, Jason. Yes, the 1949 Leafs are skip numbered cards with the same images as the 1948s. They can be distinguished from the 48's by the updated bio information and the copyright on the back.

It's not a very popular set probably because there are no rookie cards in it and the quality of the cardboard used is poor.

jeff

Samsdaddy 12-07-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1479329)
Gentlemen, I am now the proud owner of a 1969 Topps football set. A friend of a friend was looking to unload, and I was in the right place at the right time. The beautiful, bright colors were too much to resist in person!

Overall, I would say it grades out EX+ or so with many cards in the EXMT range. Some of the commons have some pesky wrinkles (but are otherwise nice), and I have already started the upgrade process. When I am done in January or February, it will be crease/wrinkle free. The stars are all very nice and very clean in the EX or better range. I will post pics one evening this week when I have time. Thanks for all the inspiration, guys!

Great set to start with Robert.

When I was 10 years old my future brother in-law gave me about 100 cards from that set and I eventually completed it as I got older.

My personal favorite card of the set, #171, John Hadl. I was always fascinated with the fact he wore #21 on his jersey and it also helps I was more of an AFL than NFL fan.

Congrats again Robert.

pariah1107 12-07-2015 02:12 PM

Great choice Robert! Love the solid, vivid colors in the '69 set, and the Piccolo Rookie always brings a tear to my eye. Congratulations.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-07-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsdaddy (Post 1479549)
Great set to start with Robert.

When I was 10 years old my future brother in-law gave me about 100 cards from that set and I eventually completed it as I got older.

My personal favorite card of the set, #171, John Hadl. I was always fascinated with the fact he wore #21 on his jersey and it also helps I was more of an AFL than NFL fan.

Congrats again Robert.

I saw this on another thread and thought about this when I was making the purchase! Thanks for the inspiration.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-07-2015 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pariah1107 (Post 1479588)
Great choice Robert! Love the solid, vivid colors in the '69 set, and the Piccolo Rookie always brings a tear to my eye. Congratulations.

Absolutely, Ty! I was blown away by the awesome color when seeing them in person. Here are some scans of some of the key cards. They just have some light corner wear. I am very happy with them.

Kurri17 12-07-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1479643)
Absolutely, Ty! I was blown away by the awesome color when seeing them in person. Here are some scans of some of the key cards. They just have some light corner wear. I am very happy with them.

Great pickup. I can see why you are happy with them, very nice. I have developed a major 'jones' for the late '60s into early '70s Topps football as I near completion of the '74-'79 sets, and seeing yours just feeds the fire. Congrats on a classic addition.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-07-2015 07:20 PM

Thanks for the comment. I am really liking them. I will post more scans later. I am working my way through the set. The guy I bought them from had the set in 9 pocket pages. I am moving them to top loaders and penny sleeves and a storage box. I am on about #109 right now.

After upgrading a few commons, I am going to tackle another '60s set...maybe '68 Topps, '64 Philadelphia, or one of the Fleer sets.

revmoran 12-07-2015 08:20 PM

This is more of a historical item than a sports card, but some here might enjoy it - Ray Flaherty on the 1934 NFL Championship game - the Sneakers Game

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websi...m/1237/2532287https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.websi...m/1237/2532288

DBesse27 12-07-2015 10:00 PM

Robert, congrats on a great set!

Samsdaddy 12-08-2015 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1479729)
Thanks for the comment. I am really liking them. I will post more scans later. I am working my way through the set. The guy I bought them from had the set in 9 pocket pages. I am moving them to top loaders and penny sleeves and a storage box. I am on about #109 right now.

After upgrading a few commons, I am going to tackle another '60s set...maybe '68 Topps, '64 Philadelphia, or one of the Fleer sets.

I have my 1969 set in penny sleeves and top loaders but will move them to Card Saver 1's eventually. I just like the look of cards in the Card Savers much more than top loaders.

Just seeing you post those cards reminds me why this set is my favorite of the decade.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-08-2015 08:29 AM

Erik, I have used CardSaver Is and have my '53 Topps baseball set (the ungraded portion) stored in them. I actually have the '53s in penny sleeves in the CardSavers....I know that was redundant and unnecessary. I am a little OCD I guess :p. Lately, I have opted for the toploader/penny sleeve combo, like with my '65 baseball set and this '69 football set. I honestly like both.

I didn't realize how much I like that '69 set until I saw it in person. I am hooked! Looking forward to adding more sets in 2016!

TanksAndSpartans 12-08-2015 09:00 AM

Mike, great letter! Believe it or not, I actually posted something in a PFRA thread on a similar topic. Seeing it in Flaherty's writing makes more sense to me now. The specification "no ice" and a frozen field was very helpful (because I always wondered why sneakers would be better on icy patches). Someday I need to try this experiment for myself though, then I'll be 100% convinced :)

Samsdaddy 12-08-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1479886)
Erik, I have used CardSaver Is and have my '53 Topps baseball set (the ungraded portion) stored in them. I actually have the '53s in penny sleeves in the CardSavers....I know that was redundant and unnecessary. I am a little OCD I guess :p. Lately, I have opted for the toploader/penny sleeve combo, like with my '65 baseball set and this '69 football set. I honestly like both.

I didn't realize how much I like that '69 set until I saw it in person. I am hooked! Looking forward to adding more sets in 2016!

One of the things I like about the 1968 and 1969 Topps Football sets is they had both leagues before they merged featured in the set. Something about having two distinct leagues in one set is cool in my book especially since the leagues merged in '70 and inter-conference play is so prevalent.

I mentioned my future brother in-law at the time gave me about half the set when I was 10. One thing he did was write "N.L. Football" at the top of Bart Starr's card and "A.L. Football" at the top of Namath's. Needless to say I had to upgrade those two cards. :)

revmoran 12-08-2015 09:46 AM

I've kind of lost track of the PFRA forum - too much bickering - so thanks for the idea, I posted it over there as well. Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezHood (Post 1479897)
Mike, great letter! Believe it or not, I actually posted something in a PFRA thread on a similar topic. Seeing it in Flaherty's writing makes more sense to me now. The specification "no ice" and a frozen field was very helpful (because I always wondered why sneakers would be better on icy patches). Someday I need to try this experiment for myself though, then I'll be 100% convinced :)

TanksAndSpartans 12-08-2015 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revmoran (Post 1479915)
I've kind of lost track of the PFRA forum - too much bickering - so thanks for the idea, I posted it over there as well. Mike

I like the net54 community better too - thanks for reminding me about a 1000 yard rushing post I wanted to share over here.

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-08-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samsdaddy (Post 1479908)
One of the things I like about the 1968 and 1969 Topps Football sets is they had both leagues before they merged featured in the set. Something about having two distinct leagues in one set is cool in my book especially since the leagues merged in '70 and inter-conference play is so prevalent.

I mentioned my future brother in-law at the time gave me about half the set when I was 10. One thing he did was write "N.L. Football" at the top of Bart Starr's card and "A.L. Football" at the top of Namath's. Needless to say I had to upgrade those two cards. :)

Good point, Erik. I like being able to get AFL and NFL players in the same set starting out. Down the road, I would like to have some of the AFL-specific Fleer sets, too.

Even if you upgrade those cards, you will want to keep the marked ones for the memories. Cool stuff!

Samsdaddy 12-08-2015 12:20 PM

I never thought of keeping them Robert. I passed them on to my nephews along with some of the cards I upgraded from that set. I figured their dad gave me several cards years back and this was one way I could pass on some fun to them.

Come to think of it, I gave A LOT of cards to my nephews and the problem is I want them back. :D

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-08-2015 01:02 PM

That's a good way to go. They are still in the family, and they have gone full circle. Pretty neat really.

jefferyepayne 12-08-2015 05:50 PM

Picked up the '68 Topps poster set from Net54 member Adam (exhibitman) and here are a few of the good ones. Thanks Adam!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X...51208_0002.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7...51208_0005.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J...51208_0009.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I...51208_0006.jpg

jeff

vintagebaseballcardguy 12-08-2015 06:08 PM

Nice stuff, Jeff. Congrats!

DBesse27 12-08-2015 10:03 PM

Sayers doesn't get enough love.

Samsdaddy 12-09-2015 06:30 AM

Very nice Jeff.

sockwell123 12-09-2015 10:00 AM

Cool posters!. Been checkin those out but haven't pulled the trigger yet..

jefferyepayne 12-09-2015 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought this picture of Grange and Senator McKinley leaving a meeting with President Calvin Coolidge just because I love the story about this meeting.

Attachment 214340

Apparently the conversation went like this:

Senator McKinley: "President, I want to introduce you to George Halas and Red Grange of the Chicago Bears."

The President smiled.

"It's nice to meet you, gentlemen,'' the President said. ''I've always enjoyed animal acts.''

--------------------------------------

Cracks me up every time.

jeff

pariah1107 12-10-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1480321)
Bought this picture of Grange and Senator McKinley leaving a meeting with President Calvin Coolidge just because I love the story about this meeting.

Attachment 214340

Apparently the conversation went like this:

Senator McKinley: "President, I want to introduce you to George Halas and Red Grange of the Chicago Bears."

The President smiled.

"It's nice to meet you, gentlemen,'' the President said. ''I've always enjoyed animal acts.''

--------------------------------------

Cracks me up every time.

jeff

Now that's funny :D Great pic and better story, thanks for sharing Jeff.